Quarterback of the Future

pwny

Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?

• Someone currently on the roster
    • A big name Free Agent/traded for QB
    • A journeyman Free Agent/traded for QB
    • First round Rookie QB
    • Second round or later Rookie QB

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Right now im leaning towards trading the brinks truck for pick 1 bit honestly we shouldn't take a qb if hes not a franchise guy.  

We did that with bortles.  We need to make smart choices and not busts. 

Look at the "franchise qbs" picked from 2013 to 2016... 

This argument goes both ways. No one's saying blindly take a QB if there isn't one worth taking. Point is, there is multiple. 

Back when we took Bortles that year he wasn't an obvious top 5-10 pick. He literally said he wasn't a natural thrower of the football. A draft like that? Yeah, don't force it.

Could go back to the Watson draft where we didn't take one when we needed one. We can go back to the Lamar draft where we needed one but took Taven instead. 

You can't be scared. If there's a guy there, take him and make sure you build it up around him. Would Lamar, Mahomes, etc. do what they're doing down here had we drafted them? Who knows...but we can't keep waiting for the "perfect" guy. That's not ever gonna happen.

Draft a guy with the tools and makeup, surround him with talent (we have a solid base), and get competent offensive coaching staff in here that can develop.

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Fields is closer to Wilson than he is to Lawrence. Lawrence is in a tier by himself.

That's pretty damn accurate if you ask me.  But you're not drafting Justin Fields for what he is today.  You're drafting for what he can be tomorrow.  You see tremendous athletic skills with the prerequisite ability to make all the throws.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Back when we took Bortles that year he wasn't an obvious top 5-10 pick. He literally said he wasn't a natural thrower of the football. A draft like that? Yeah, don't force it.

A bit of hindsight happening here.  I mean, other than Khalil Mack (who had his own question marks surround him) Blake Bortles was probably in that next tier of players.  But he was coming off a strong year and a big reason why UCF had success.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

A bit of hindsight happening here.  I mean, other than Khalil Mack (who had his own question marks surround him) Blake Bortles was probably in that next tier of players.  But he was coming off a strong year and a big reason why UCF had success.

Not going to act like I didnt want to draft a QB/was upset with Bortles at the time, but I find guys like Fields and Wilson on a different tier than I view/viewed Bortles as a prospect coming out. Bortles was great for UCF, but his mechanics/accuracy issues were always huge red flags. 

Someone would've taken Bortles even if we hadn't relatively soon after I'm sure. Not like I'm saying at the time it was some massive reach. I'm just saying I believe both of these guys deserve to be top 5-10 picks and on a big board I'd have them as such. It wouldn't me just be placing them there due to position. Bortles? I think he was a beneficiary of exactly that.

3 minutes ago, bspice said:

Jets fan here. Still super bummed about that Jets upset win. Can you guys try and sell me on Wilson or Fields? Just in case you guys get TLaw I want to have some hope in our next QB. Thanks

Personally love both of them. 

Fields has high end athleticism, above average arm, and great accuracy. Has some rawness to his game/has things to work on but the upside is large there imo.

Wilson is fun as hell with special arm talent. The ball placement, arm strength, and off platform throws are unreal. Size is less than desirable.

Neither are Lawrence of course, but both are worthy of being top 5 selections imo. Just gotta make sure you get a solid HC/OC who tailors an offense around them and build up the OL/skill positions in draft/FA asap.

Just now, bspice said:

Jets fan here. Still super bummed about that Jets upset win. Can you guys try and sell me on Wilson or Fields? Just in case you guys get TLaw I want to have some hope in our next QB. Thanks

Most have Fields ahead of Wilson but I have Wilson as QB2. Not gonna pretend like I’m some expert in scouting QB’s but just based off of the eye test, I prefer Wilson. I know Buzz has Fields ahead of Wilson.

With Fields, the things that bother me are he doesn’t really go through his progressions. Locks onto his first target. His internal clock needs to get quicker. His throwing motion seems mechanical to me. Feels like it takes awhile for him to load up and throw it. There is no denying he is a great athlete and has a ton of talent, just feel like he had a lot to work on to be successful at the next level. 

With Wilson, Buzz actually first brought him up and I have been a fan ever since. He looks like he is about 12 years old but he can sling it. His ball placement is exceptional, giving his WR’s the ability to get YAC after the catch. It’s on display tonight. The arm strength is there. The accuracy is there. He can make plays with his feet when needed to. His ability to make off platform throws is special. 

I know I made it seem like Fields sucks and Wilson is some god but they are really both in the same tier but I just prefer Wilson from what I have seen. The pinpoint accuracy and arm strength from Wilson will translate to the next level.

• Like 1