Quarterback of the Future

pwny

Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?

• Someone currently on the roster
    • A big name Free Agent/traded for QB
    • A journeyman Free Agent/traded for QB
    • First round Rookie QB
    • Second round or later Rookie QB

20 minutes ago, pwny said:

Has anyone here had the chance to look at fields since I brought up the concerns about how he doesn’t throw to guys in space and have any takes on it?

I never noticed it before myself. Haven't watched any since you said it but I'll definitely check it out when I do.

Fields accuracy was always viewed as a big positive so it's an interesting observation.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I never noticed it before myself. Haven't watched any since you said it but I'll definitely check it out when I do.

Fields accuracy was always viewed as a big positive so it's an interesting observation.

His accuracy is very good. Like he gets the call to the receivers where it seemingly needs to be. But it seems like every receiver he throws to gets tackled within 3 yards of the completion. I don’t know if it’s scheme (and I know Day does a good amount of vertical concepts that would account for some of that just automatically), recognition of routes, or anticipation to throw when guys are moving open, or what it is. 

• Like 1

Would the Jaguars be interested in trading down with Chargers? Assuming we stay pat at #4. You guys would still get Fields because the Bengals wouldn't be taking a QB at #3 anyway. Penei Sewell is the only prospect were after and if Telesco is still our G.M he could make a move up. 

14 minutes ago, Chargers said:

Would the Jaguars be interested in trading down with Chargers? Assuming we stay pat at #4. You guys would still get Fields because the Bengals wouldn't be taking a QB at #3 anyway. Penei Sewell is the only prospect were after and if Telesco is still our G.M he could make a move up. 

What would you offer hypothetically?

Only thing I would be worried about is someone trading up to 3 to take Fields (if that’s who we are targeting). The Bengals would probably look to trade down if Sewell isn’t there at 3 IMO.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Only thing I would be worried about is someone trading up to 3 to take Fields (if that’s who we are targeting). The Bengals would probably look to trade down if Sewell isn’t there at 3 IMO.

Yeah, can't say I see us messing around in this scenario. Although it'd only be a couple spots, that's the logical Bengals target and I imagine they'd look to move down and stack up picks if a team wanted to move up for Fields/QB.

I’m not playing games when it comes to landing a franchise QB.

And the smartest place for the Bengals to slot themselves is where they can land guys to protect Burrow. If Sewell isn’t there because they Chargers took him, you bet your *** they’re trading down to the 8-12 range where the next wave of OL is going to go. 

On 12/15/2020 at 9:04 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

On the one hand, this actually sounds pretty awesome as a scenario.  Drop down a bit, pick up some extra assets...Fields gets taken off the board, and we grab Wilson instead, plus extra pieces.  

But like @pwny said...i don't think i'd be screwing around with that sort of thing when it comes to grabbing the hopefully franchise QB of the future for the team.  It's just as possible that somebody could jump you for Wilson instead, and then you're stuck with Fields.  Which...if that's not the guy you want, you can't really move forward like that.

Either way, whichever guy you prefer...it's basically a case of..."don't get cute" with it.  Just pick the guy you want to be your potential franchise QB, and go from there.  Don't introduce extra uncertainty in the process that could snake you out of what you really want.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:07 PM, pwny said:

I’m not playing games when it comes to landing a franchise QB.

And the smartest place for the Bengals to slot themselves is where they can land guys to protect Burrow. If Sewell isn’t there because they Chargers took him, you bet your *** they’re trading down to the 8-12 range where the next wave of OL is going to go. 

That's good.  Came in to ask the possibility the Jags would have at trading back with a team wanting to jump us.  My thoughts would be that if Jax loves Fields, no way they risk it because we'd trade back with a QB hungry team.  Thanks for answering the question before I even asked it. 😄

6 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

That's good.  Came in to ask the possibility the Jags would have at trading back with a team wanting to jump us.  My thoughts would be that if Jax loves Fields, no way they risk it because we'd trade back with a QB hungry team.  Thanks for answering the question before I even asked it. 😄

Regardless of which QB they end up preferring, they gotta just take him at #2. Anything outside of that is a bad sign for the franchise. I’ve mentioned before that the most Jaguars decision would be to take Sewell and then take the 4th or 5th QB with either the Rams pick or our first second rounder, but that would be a disastrous decision.

Even trading back to #4 because they don’t care whether they get Fields or Wilson is just a massive mistake. Those two guys will be best in two different offenses with different players surrounding them. With all the money for Free Agents we’re slotted to have, the team would be best served locking in on their specific guy and then crafting a playbook and supporting cast prior to the draft that’ll let their guy find success. And if they’re not going to do that, and instead leave things up to chance whether or not they get a specific player, I’m not going to be too confident. They have a potential upper hand that a lot of teams don’t end up getting when trying to figure out whether or not they’ll get a certain signal caller until the day of the draft. If they squander that or play games with it or just don’t commit to building a team that’s going to support a specific guy, we’re in for a bad ride. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pwny said:

Regardless of which QB they end up preferring, they gotta just take him at #2. Anything outside of that is a bad sign for the franchise. I’ve mentioned before that the most Jaguars decision would be to take Sewell and then take the 4th or 5th QB with either the Rams pick or our first second rounder, but that would be a disastrous decision.

Even trading back to #4 because they don’t care whether they get Fields or Wilson is just a massive mistake. Those two guys will be best in two different offenses with different players surrounding them. With all the money for Free Agents we’re slotted to have, the team would be best served locking in on their specific guy and then crafting a playbook and supporting cast prior to the draft that’ll let their guy find success. And if they’re not going to do that, and instead leave things up to chance whether or not they get a specific player, I’m not going to be too confident. They have a potential upper hand that a lot of teams don’t end up getting when trying to figure out whether or not they’ll get a certain signal caller until the day of the draft. If they squander that or play games with it or just don’t commit to building a team that’s going to support a specific guy, we’re in for a bad ride. 

That's what I'm thinking.  Some Bengals fans are so traumatized by Mike Brown that they are already fixating on situations where they don't get Sewell and wallowing in misery because we somehow miss out.