ESPN: Pace and Nagy likely safe

WindyCity

7 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

They will be exposed bad these next three weeks.  

Even if they lose all three of those games they will be 5-4 and still in decent position to push for a playoff spot with a softer schedule after that so I don't see anything happening in these next 3 games that would call for the firing of either Pace or Nagy that hasn't already been discovered by now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I honestly never even really entertained the possibility of this happening coming into this season unless it was something truly catastrophic - 3-13 or close to that.  Imo it would take a MAJOR collapse to have them fired this year.  Like only winning 1 or 2 more games the rest of the way.

If owners were smart enough they would see that Nagy is head coach material who is still learning. This team has lost by more than one score in just 3 games out of 39 and have came back in numerous games. These players will fight like hell for him and that says alot about him as a coach.  

17 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

I can see the bears winning against the Rams.  They have played them tough in the past.  Kamara and Henry will run wild against the bears.  I can buy 6-3.  But if the narrative changes that could be enough to make changes. Remember Lovie got fired after a 10-6 season. 

So exposed bad against Saints and Titans then, but not Rams?  They have played Rams tough when Rams were way better than them, but that was with Fangio’s game plans.  Obviously we have no answer for Donald and that could be a problem.  

If they have momentum of beating Rams, that will carry into Saints game.  Saints are beatable as Roquan Smith and Trevathan are playing better each week and Brees arm is weak.  

Titans are simply a better team at moment and I can see Henry running over us.  Injuries can happen between now and then though.

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If owners were smart enough they would see that Nagy is head coach material who is still learning. This team has lost by more than one score in just 3 games out of 39 and have came back in numerous games. These players will fight like hell for him and that says alot about him as a coach.  

If he learns.   He has been a mixed bag on learning from his coaching errors.

Bad IMO

1) Practice teaching on grass - relies too much on film and classroom/zoom.  

2) In team Personnel decisions

3) Play calling

4) Delegation of responsibility to other coaches

5) Execution of assignments

6) Player development from raw material

Good

1) Players play hard and do not quit

2) Lets defensive coaches coach

3) Keeping team from falling apart when controversies happen and managing off field issues and distractions.

4) Dealing with media

Mixed

Seems to come to correct conclusions on what needs to be done (taking Long out, moving on from MT, going under center more), but takes too long getting there.

I think Pace has been better at learning to GM between the two.

Neither have been great.  

Pace has failed to improve O line significantly in 4 years.   But he has added a significant and solid piece or two or three to team each year which is more than most GMs do and he manages the cap well.

While I'm highly critical of the Pace/Nagy pairing I can see their strengths as well and said before that I wouldnt expect a firing without a disastrous 4-12 season or something similar. 

Still I would have no issue dropping them. Neither has shown they are in the top of jobs imo and I'm not sure I want a HC and GM not being brought in as a pair. 

• Like 1

Their combined work on the OL is pretty much failure after failure

-Extend Leno, Massie, and Whitehair and they all regress.

-None of the day 3 picks have even turned into competent depth and competition

-Not consistently investing in the OL.

-The Hiestand hire

Other than drafting Daniels it has been a lot of failing.

Edited by WindyCity

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Their combined work on the OL is pretty much failure after failure

-Extend Leno, Massie, and Whitehair and they all regress.

-None of the day 3 picks have even turned into competent depth and competition

-Not consistently investing in the OL.

-The Hiestand hire

Other than drafting Daniels it has been a lot of failing.

I don't even know if Hiestand was necessarily the problem but more so just not a good fit.  I don't recall anyone ever saying Hiestand was a bad OL coach in his first stint with the Bears under Lovie.  He also coached up some pretty good future NFLers at Norte Dame in Stanley, Nelson, McGlinchey, etc.

The biggest reason the OL sucks is because of the personnel.

I don't know what happened to Whitehair but he's not as good as he was his first couple years.

52 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't even know if Hiestand was necessarily the problem but more so just not a good fit.  I don't recall anyone ever saying Hiestand was a bad OL coach in his first stint with the Bears under Lovie.  He also coached up some pretty good future NFLers at Norte Dame in Stanley, Nelson, McGlinchey, etc.

The biggest reason the OL sucks is because of the personnel.

I don't know what happened to Whitehair but he's not as good as he was his first couple years.

He got punted after 2 years. I think it was personnel as well, but the line was a mess last season even when you take personnel out of it 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Because they owe them a lot of money, it is a bad economic year, and performance doesn’t get you fired, you get fired if you embarrass the franchise.

We were talking about the Bears firing Pace, but retaining Nagy. I doubt that happens, but I don't think it's out of the question AT ALL, either. 

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

We were talking about the Bears firing Pace, but retaining Nagy. I doubt that happens, but I don't think it's out of the question AT ALL, either. 

I don’t think it happens unless Nagy takes him out and that seems unlikely.

George will look at the record and the playoff appearance and ignore the fact that the offense is terrible and the team was massively flawed from day 1

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think it happens unless Nagy takes him out and that seems unlikely.

George will look at the record and the playoff appearance and ignore the fact that the offense is terrible and the team was massively flawed from day 1

The thing with ME is that I think that the team will do very well this year. And while that's cool, and all, it does not gloss over all the weird mistakes Pace has made, which frankly, are totally indefensible. The Bears could win the Super Bowl and I'd be like..."Oh god, what does Pace do NOW?"