Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

Logan Ryan lost his unborn child and nearly lost his wife as well. But he still took the field for us and ended up sealing the win. That guy is amazing.

“I have a great wife, and that ball's for her,” he added. “She told me to bring one home for her. So I was able to do that."

Giants head coach has made no secret that he is a big fan of Ryan's.

"Logan's a very mentally tough football player and he's a great team leader," he said. "There are a lot of things behind the scenes that people don't know or see that Logan really brings to a team. That's something I've seen really evolve throughout his career." 

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/gameday/logan-ryan-delivers-on-a-promise-to-wife

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

Logan Ryan lost his unborn child and nearly lost his wife as well. But he still took the field for us and ended up sealing the win. That guy is amazing.

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/gameday/logan-ryan-delivers-on-a-promise-to-wife

He has been amazing signing. He’s doing a ton to help our team off the field and for the future 

Heading into the trade deadline, the Giants were receiving calls about TE Evan Engram, who could be a good receiving option for a Super Bowl Contender. But GM Dave Gettleman had a hefty price attached to the former first-round pick. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter has sources telling him that Gettleman's price was actually a first-round or there was no deal. 

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reported earlier that "at least one source thinks a second-rounder would do it -- maybe even a third-rounder as part of a larger package." But other reports were showing that more than a second-round pick would have to be in a deal for the Giants to send away the Ole Miss product. 

Still, sources told Vacchiano that Engram was unlikely to be dealt and that showed when the trade deadline passed.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/giants-were-asking-evan-engram-190529556.html

Outside of any team in the NFC East, I would have had no problems with a 3rd round pick for Engram and if Gettleman could have got a 2nd round for him, he would have gotten a little bit more respect from me.

9 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Outside of any team in the NFC East, I would have had no problems with a 3rd round pick for Engram and if Gettleman could have got a 2nd round for him, he would have gotten a little bit more respect from me.

Were they nuts? What does Gettleman see in Engram? Getting a 2nd-rounder for him would've been the steal of the year IMO.

3-7 has never felt so good.

Where do I start after the Eagles game? I can finally call DJ Danny Dimes again; this might have been his best game as a pro. Not only did he make jaw-dropping plays with his feet, he kept the mistakes to a minimum. If not for a few drops by the receivers he'd have looked even better.

James Bradberry... I don't know why opposing teams even throw towards him anymore. He is a shutdown corner, plain and simple. Blake Martinez had a pretty good game. Graham Gano iced the game when we needed him most. In stretches, the defense looked worse than it has since Week 3 but they pulled it together in the fourth quarter.

Darius Slayton made some huge catches, redeeming himself for a big drop. We had another Austin Mack sighting. Really, you can say something positive about almost every player.

This DeAndre Baker situation is fascinating but I can't help but be a little disappointing knowing what we know now that we're going to lose the opportunity to figure out for ourselves whether he could've become a good CB for us. There's no chance he signs back with us once he's off the exempt list. And we probably wouldn't even give him an offer. 

He may end up being nothing but if he turns into a good CB2 (exactly what we need) and we dropped him over a ridiculous situation would hurt the soul.

But enough negativity! Good win yesterday, we're obviously headed in the right direction. Onward and upward!

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

So Leonard Williams extension anyone? What would that cost? He's in the midst of his best season in the league this season, but what would that extension look like? 

I think we need to keep all the big name FAs we have- Williams, Logan Ryan, and Dalvin Tomlinson. We have the money to do so. Big Cat looks really, really good this year. He's been our best DL.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I think we need to keep all the big name FAs we have- Williams, Logan Ryan, and Dalvin Tomlinson. We have the money to do so. Big Cat looks really, really good this year. He's been our best DL.

Williams wanted 18-20 mill a year. I am not sure he is worth that much. Thinking we just franchise him again to see if he can have same type of season. I believe Delvin said he would give us a hometown discount so I am all giving him a multiyear deal.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

Leonard Williams is having a good season but even at his younger age, he is far less valuable IMO than Logan Ryan. You can find Williams's production more easily. He's not making the entire defense better. When you look at our FA list, he is not my top priority. 

I disagree. Tomlinson and Sexy Dexy are both very good DL, no question. But Leonard Williams is a tier above them. If we don't resign him, you will notice his presence is missing next year, both against the run and especially in generating pressure. My hope is that now that he is putting up sack numbers that his pressure numbers always alluded today, he realizes he is in a good spot with this team and coaching staff and wants to stay.

I love Logan Ryan and want him to stay as well, but he is more replaceable, almost solely because of the guy we'll have back starting after the bye- Mckinney. Obviously we don't know how good Mckinney will be, but he projects to be a very similar player to Logan Ryan in terms of skillset. We don't have another guy like Big Cat on the roster.

I guess a good question is if we could only resign 2/3 out of Williams, Ryan, and Tomlinson, who do let walk? For me, it is probably Ryan, but it is definitely tough.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:27 AM, minutemancl said:

I disagree. Tomlinson and Sexy Dexy are both very good DL, no question. But Leonard Williams is a tier above them. If we don't resign him, you will notice his presence is missing next year, both against the run and especially in generating pressure. My hope is that now that he is putting up sack numbers that his pressure numbers always alluded today, he realizes he is in a good spot with this team and coaching staff and wants to stay.

I love Logan Ryan and want him to stay as well, but he is more replaceable, almost solely because of the guy we'll have back starting after the bye- Mckinney. Obviously we don't know how good Mckinney will be, but he projects to be a very similar player to Logan Ryan in terms of skillset. We don't have another guy like Big Cat on the roster.

I guess a good question is if we could only resign 2/3 out of Williams, Ryan, and Tomlinson, who do let walk? For me, it is probably Ryan, but it is definitely tough.

I think the larger point is you can only spread your money so thin. To pay Leonard Williams as much as he will want effectively makes him your pass rusher. Leonard Williams is not Aaron Donald so let's not pay him that way. Do you not think we can find a more disruptive pass rusher than Leonard Williams? We also had a very good run defense before Williams was even on the team. That has not been the problem. Tomlinson and DLaw more than plug the middle without Williams. 

McKinney is an unknown at this point. He played over top and in the box at Alabama. Personally, I'd rather Ryan/McKinney than Peppers/McKinney. Ryan is your centerfielder and slot/man safety. McKinney is your box safety with comfortability staying deep. 

Overall, between Tomlinson and Williams I'll take Tomlinson only because I think he will be cheaper. Sign Ryan and let Ryan/McKinney/Peppers play together for a year. See what shakes out there and ultimately make a decision whether to keep or dump Peppers after next year. 

• Like 2

Whether you want to hold on to Leonard Williams or not, he continues to be a significant factor on this team. When asked about his head coach's style, he doesn't mince words.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2020/11/24/21612417/giants-rumors-news-11-24-leonard-williams-on-joe-judge-coaching-style-more-headlines

Joe Judge’s style isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. He is a young head coach with a hard-nosed, old-school attitude. Want to play or work for Judge? Check your ego at the door and buy in to his team-first mentality and his willingness to, as he says, be brutally honest with those under his direction.

Golden Tate learned that Judge means what he says. Marc Colombo learned. Defensive lineman Leonard Williams, a sixth-year player yet to participate in a playoff game, was blunt Monday when asked about playing for Judge.

“His style of coaching is good for players who want to win and want to play hard, practice hard, and understand that your practice is reflective of how you play. Guys that are willing to buy into a program are going to do great under a system like that,” Williams said. “There’s obviously some guys who are a little bit harder to coach and little bit harder to get to buy into systems. They might be a little bit harder to fall into line.

“At the same time, when you’re a part of this team, you kind of feel the atmosphere of everyone buying in. Even those guys that are a little bit harder to coach, once they see the rest of their teammates buying in, they will come along eventually, too. I think it’s a great way, the way we practice. I think it shows we have a tough team. I feel like after losses or wins we go right back to work. I think it’s a hard-hat type of team that wants to work and grind.”

• Like 1

With Jones' bad hammy, chances are we will be going into Seattle with Colt McCoy under center. Any thoughts on our 34-year-old backup?

I remember when Colt played some good games for the Browns in 2010; he even knocked off the New England Patriots. It seemed like he might have a bright future, but his career was derailed by a dirty hit from James Harrison in 2011. After that he became an undistinguished journeyman backup and eventually ended up here.

For a guy who hasn't played in more than a year, he looked all right in relief of Daniel Jones today.