Why are people saying the Minshew era is over? Why is it his fault?

MikeT14

There's a place for him in the NFL, but not as a starting QB. He's got significant limitations (arm strength/talent, has an issue with his pocket awareness) and defenses can scheme him into making mistakes. 

I'm higher on him than I was last season, when I called him another Case Keenum. It's still a fair comparison, but he's more "good" Keenum than "bad" Keenum (not to be mistaken for Valhalla Keenum). 

• Like 1

yeah.. I think everyone has already covered this

But to give one more example - it's the same reason nobody is asking "why is the Jacoby Brissett era over?" despite playing reasonably well

The guy was never going to be the guy in Jacksonville. He was fun because he over achieved in a short stint, but nothing about Minshew is going to stop the Jags from pursuing another QB when they get the opportunity

• Like 1

He's not the pre-anointed son of the Football God, Trevor Freaking Lawrence and to some people, that's all that matters. 

I suppose there's a lot that could be analyzed, but I don't think the Jags were going to allow Minshew to be "the guy" no matter what. 

They purged their strongest unit (D) over the last couple of seasons while adding nothing on Offense. He's handing the ball off to a pair of UDFA RBS, tossing passes to DJ Chark, Keelan Cole, Chris Conley, Laviska Shenault (R), James O'Shaughnessy, and Tyler Eifert...not a terrible group of pass catchers, but certainly not very exciting overall. The O-line is meh. 

The point is, Gardner Minshew is a fine QB. He's not a superstar, but he's not trash. However, the Jaguars came into the year practically telegraphing their desire to draft a blue chip prospect at QB. 

It's not necessarily Minshew's fault. The Jaguars just think that drafting a QB in the first 3 picks of the draft is the magic bullet, just like other bad organizations. 

He'll be traded to someone before long. He may start again, he may be a career backup. He'll probably never be more than a gap starter. But the Jaguars woes aren't really his fault at all. And it's not much of an indictment on him anyway. He's probably better off elsewhere.

Edited by ronjon1990

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

He's not the pre-anointed son of the Football God, Trevor Freaking Lawrence and to some people, that's all that matters. 

I suppose there's a lot that could be analyzed, but I don't think the Jags were going to allow Minshew to be "the guy" no matter what. 

They purged their strongest unit (D) over the last couple of seasons while adding nothing on Offense. He's handing the ball off to a pair of UDFA RBS, tossing passes to DJ Chark, Keelan Cole, Chris Conley, Laviska Shenault (R), James O'Shaughnessy, and Tyler Eifert...not a terrible group of pass catchers, but certainly not very exciting overall. The O-line is meh. 

The point is, Gardner Minshew is a fine QB. He's not a superstar, but he's not trash. However, the Jaguars came into the year practically telegraphing their desire to draft a blue chip prospect at QB. 

It's not necessarily Minshew's fault. The Jaguars just think that drafting a QB in the first 3 picks of the draft is the magic bullet, just like other bad organizations. 

He'll be traded to someone before long. He may start again, he may be a career backup. He'll probably never beore than a gap starter. But the Jaguars woes aren't really his fault at all. 

So you think if Minshew was clearly playing very good football and worthy of being entrenched as the QB we'd move on regardless based on draft position this year?

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So you think if Minshew was clearly playing very good football and worthy of being entrenched as the QB we'd move on regardless based on draft position this year?

Absent something absolutely and likely impossibly phenomenal, yes, I do. 

The personnel moves have, as I said, telegraphed massive changes ahead. 

Like I said, Minshew will probably never be much more than a bridge QB. It's fine that the Jaguars practically came into the season intending to move on. There's probably (likely, tbh) only so far a Minshew type can take you. 

My point is that Minshew's play hasn't been so bad that it's clearly the root cause of the 1-6 start and many other QBs wouldn't be on the hot seat.

There's a nice list of solid QBs who have been in Minshew's position: Trevor Siemian in Denver, Bruce Gradkowski a few times, Nick Foles, Jeff Garcia a couple of times...just to name a few. Nobody expected them to be long term starters for a team and their replacements were seemingly always right around the corner. Look at Carolina the year before they drafted Newton. Was Matt Moore ever going to be the long term guy? No way. Not with Newton in the draft. But Moore was a perfectly capable QB for a stint here and there.

That just happens. Not every team is going to have a franchise QB at the same time. Some will use a guy for a year or two while loading up and targeting a big time prospect.

It's the nature of the NFL. We all know that Gardner Minshew would have had to exceeded unrealistic expectations to go into 2021 as Jacksonville's unquestioned starter, and even then, there's no guarantee he still would have with draft picks and draft day trades. Jacksonville could have probably won the AFCS and gone to the AFCCG and still would probably be in the trade market for a QB (Darnold, for example) or drafting a QB (maybe Lance or Trask, for example). 

That's totally fine, given Minshew's limitations. Just saying that it's not purely an indictment on him, which the OP asked about. To reference you, I don't think a Minshew type player is ever firmly "entrenched". Again, that's nature in the NFL. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Absent something absolutely and likely impossibly phenomenal, yes, I do. 

The personnel moves have, as I said, telegraphed massive changes ahead. 

Like I said, Minshew will probably never be much more than a bridge QB. It's fine that the Jaguars practically came into the season intending to move on. There's probably (likely, tbh) only so far a Minshew type can take you. 

My point is that Minshew's play hasn't been so bad that it's clearly the root cause of the 1-6 start and many other QBs wouldn't be on the hot seat.

There's a nice list of solid QBs who have been in Minshew's position: Trevor Siemian in Denver, Bruce Gradkowski a few times, Nick Foles, Jeff Garcia a couple of times...just to name a few. Nobody expected them to be long term starters for a team and their replacements were seemingly always right around the corner. 

That just happens. Not every team is going to have a franchise QB at the same time. Some will use a guy for a year or two while loading up and targeting a big time prospect.

It's the nature of the NFL. We all know that Gardner Minshew would have had to exceeded unrealistic expectations to go into 2021 as Jacksonville's unquestioned starter, and even then, there's no guarantee he still would have with draft picks and draft day trades. Jacksonville could have probably won the AFCS and gone to the AFCCG and still would probably be in the trade market for a QB (Darnold, for example) or drafting a QB (maybe Lance or Trask, for example). 

That's totally fine, given Minshew's limitations. Just saying that it's not purely an indictment on him, which the OP asked about. To reference you, I don't think a Minshew type player is ever firmly "entrenched". Again, that's nature in the NFL. 

This is fair.

He's definitely not why we're 1-6. We'd be bad even if he played well. But I do think if he would have taken a step and continued on the trajectory after the first two weeks we'd be singing a different tune as far as the Jaguars being all in on a QB. Having all this draft capital next year while having even a solid QB would be big as instead of using that ammunition on a QB, you could build a team around him. I just don't think he's played to the point you see a guy that's more than a low end starter/great backup which is fine...but also not someone I'd like to be stuck in purgatory with had we had an ok team around him.

Each passing year we're seeing it be more difficult to compete unless you have that top half of the league QB anyways. Only way you luck into us in 2017 is getting an atrocious schedule to go with everything clicking on defense. Can't say that's a very feasible way to build and be good for more than a year or two.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

This is fair.

He's definitely not why we're 1-6. We'd be bad even if he played well. But I do think if he would have taken a step and continued on the trajectory after the first two weeks we'd be singing a different tune as far as the Jaguars being all in on a QB. Having all this draft capital next year while having even a solid QB would be big as instead of using that ammunition on a QB, you could build a team around him. I just don't think he's played to the point you see a guy that's more than a low end starter/great backup which is fine...but also not someone I'd like to be stuck in purgatory with had we had an ok team around him. 

This all day. 

He's the Ryan Fitzpatrick type that will have highs and lows. Sometimes, he'd probably get into the playoffs. Other times, probably stuck in the 7-8 win area. 

Jacksonville is in position to grab a potential superstar. I'm all for that because nobody "wants" their team to have a top 5 pick every year and I don't think Minshew is the type that you'd get a high pick with very often, so take it while you can. 

• Like 1

Guy had a 26 td and 10 int year on his rookie season these are very good number and avgs around 7 yards per throw and had 3200 on 12 starts

the jags dont have offensive talent or defensive talent this year

this year he is around 70% and 10 td with 4 int

If my Redskins cant draft a QB I would give up a 3rd for him or a 2nd