Week 9 Game Day Thread

naptownskinsfan

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Also, it started because Graham Mertz's roommate got it but way to know the facts. Proud of you.

I haven't heard anything definitive on who got it first or if anyone was breaking the rules tbh. If they did, the program looks bad and we deserve the ridicule.

But considering the state is in the midst of the worst outbreak nationally, Dane County specifically is struggling with a huge surge in cases, and there was some transmission that occurred in the program, we don't have any evidence of wrongdoing. UW should definitely investigate, contact trace, and hold anyone who broke guidelines responsible though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I haven't heard anything definitive on who got it first or if anyone was breaking the rules tbh. If they did, the program looks bad and we deserve the ridicule.

But considering the state is in the midst of the worst outbreak nationally, Dane County specifically is struggling with a huge surge in cases, and there was some transmission that occurred in the program, we don't have any evidence of wrongdoing. UW should definitely investigate, contact trace, and hold anyone who broke guidelines responsible though.

Absolutely. I solely argued against punishing the entire program, not the individuals if they broke guidelines. I've heard several different things in regards to what happened but nothing definitive at this point.

Don’t the Wisconsin football players room together? By Mertz’s roommate, are we talking about a football player or someone else? 

I believe Ohio State’s players all live with one another and the university is doing online classes. So the most likely people to bring the virus in would have to be parents. I’m assuming Wisconsin has some sort of bubble built in for the virus? 

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Don’t the Wisconsin football players room together? By Mertz’s roommate, are we talking about a football player or someone else? 

I believe Ohio State’s players all live with one another and the university is doing online classes. So the most likely people to bring the virus in would have to be parents. I’m assuming Wisconsin has some sort of bubble built in for the virus? 

At UW, very few people use student housing after their first year, including football players. Granted, they still room together and have been told to isolate, not party, socially distance, etc.

Mertz's roommate is Joe Tippmann, who is on the team. 4* OL out of Indiana. Tom Loy still thinks ND could flip him if they wanted him (they did want him), but that's neither here nor there. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Absolutely. I solely argued against punishing the entire program, not the individuals if they broke guidelines. I've heard several different things in regards to what happened but nothing definitive at this point.

tbf someone needs to smack Chryst upside the head and make sure his mask is worn right. 

And yeah not sure what the program could have done here. We tested, isolated until the followup, are quarantining, and cancelled the game as a result. I'm assuming we're investigating; if we're not that's a totally fair dig, and at that point if we find anything given the impact we have to punish the people. What the hell were people expecting, "Oh hey sorry Graham yeah we found out you cancelled an entire game check for the athletic department no big deal see you Monday?" This is a multi-million dollar **** up.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tbf someone needs to smack Chryst upside the head and make sure his mask is worn right. 

He said he wore it like that and tried to keep it at his nose because his glasses were fogging up. He was at practice with a face shield since the game. So he's at least admitting to the problem and trying to address it going forward.

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And yeah not sure what the program could have done here. We tested, isolated until the followup, are quarantining, and cancelled the game as a result. I'm assuming we're investigating; if we're not that's a totally fair dig, and at that point if we find anything given the impact we have to punish the people. What the hell were people expecting, "Oh hey sorry Graham yeah we found out you cancelled an entire game check for the athletic department no big deal see you Monday?" This is a multi-million dollar **** up.

I don't think any reasonable person was expecting anything different. I mean, we didn't even hit the B1G thresholds for cancelling the game, yet we still decided to do it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Emperor Warren won’t allow it. 

The key takeaway here is: what happens when OSU's opponents cancel? Will an undefeated OSU team that was short a couple games still make the playoffs? If not, why couldn't they schedule OOC games; will the obtuse rules that did not allow them to do so cost anyones their jobs (and if so, whom)?

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

The key takeaway here is: what happens when OSU's opponents cancel? Will an undefeated OSU team that was short a couple games still make the playoffs? If not, why couldn't they schedule OOC games; will the obtuse rules that did not allow them to do so cost anyones their jobs (and if so, whom)?

All in all it’s just become clear that the conference has done such a poor job throughout this entire process. From preparation to protocols. And really for no reason not allowing replacement matchups. You could give two teams that just want to play football a chance to do that on Saturday and for honestly no reason it’s not being allowed. And obviously that is a precedent for the Big Ten season.

Edited by NateDawg

34 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

All in all it’s just become clear that the conference has done such a poor job throughout this entire process. From preparation to protocols. And really for no reason not allowing replacement matchups. You could give two teams that just want to play football a chance to do that on Saturday and four honestly no reason it’s not being allowed. And obviously that is a precedent for the Big Ten season.

Without knowing anything about it, I'd assume the reason they don't want it played is financial. But obviously they can't say that out loud.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, NateDawg said:

Just got one:

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2020/10/29/wisconsin-football-update-oct-29.aspx

Wisconsin Athletics has secured rooms at a local hotel for football players that have not recorded positive tests in an effort to further separate those who live together and mitigate the spread of the virus. Each of the players in the hotel has his own room and the rooms are all located in the same area of the hotel so as to limit exposure to other hotel guests. These living arrangements will remain in effect as long as Wisconsin Athletics deems it necessary.

• Like 1