The Pats QB situation

Apparition

I was gonna mention Smith when the reports of discontent came out, and then looked at his cap situation.  I'd be curious to see how he holds up for a season.  going from a QB with a strong run threat with no passing game, to a QB with no run threat but a strong passing game... it's like going home.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 3:59 PM, IheartMyV8 said:

I was gonna mention Smith when the reports of discontent came out, and then looked at his cap situation.  I'd be curious to see how he holds up for a season.  going from a QB with a strong run threat with no passing game, to a QB with no run threat but a strong passing game... it's like going home.

did you happen to see Smith's numbers from last year?

did you watch his tape?

Edited by Starless

2 hours ago, IheartMyV8 said:

Nope, but assumed he'd be an upgrade to the passing game over anyone on the current roster, which really doesn't take much.

His numbers were worse than Cam's last year, despite having significantly better weapons. 

I haven't watched the tape but I definitely wouldn't bank on him being any sort of improvement. 

There is no way that CN coming back!!!!!!  👀👀

If Newton leaves in free agency, the Patriots stand to gain a compensatory 2022 3rd draft pick!!!!   Adam Schefter.

https://www.radio.com/weei/sports/patriots/there-are-10-000-reasons-cam-newton-cant-return-to-patriots

BB  I want him back, I do really really! Lying his butt off, Gimme the pick

Finally found something CN is good at!

9 minutes ago, m haynes said:

There is no way that CN coming back!!!!!!  👀👀

https://www.radio.com/weei/sports/patriots/there-are-10-000-reasons-cam-newton-cant-return-to-patriots

BB  I want him back, I do really really! Lying his butt off, Gimme the pick

Finally found something CN is good at!

This article is fantastic when it's makes a case against bringing CN back.  Just getting a pick should be incentive enough to move on.

I try to say this nicely. You have to be frigging crazy to bring him back.

Think before you respond, the best thing he can do for this team going forward?

Edited by m haynes

Arent the comp picks based off contract value? 

If so, no way we get a 3rd for Cam.. he's not going to sign more than a 1 year deal.. at 10 million the most? 

Van Noy is expected to net the Pats a 4th rounder and he signed for something like 4 years 40 million

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Starless said:

His numbers were worse than Cam's last year, despite having significantly better weapons. 

I haven't watched the tape but I definitely wouldn't bank on him being any sort of improvement. 

I hadn't either, so trying to catch some of the offensive plays from the season.  He's definitely better than Cam through the air, by a long shot.  Doesn't look like WFT's OL did him any favors either.

33 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Arent the comp picks based off contract value? 

If so, no way we get a 3rd for Cam.. he's not going to sign more than a 1 year deal.. at 10 million the most? 

Van Noy is expected to net the Pats a 4th rounder and he signed for something like 4 years 40 million

No,  part are of a formula that MIT created!!!

Fantastic watch on the QBs.

Agree or disagree however Simms lays it out why he rates them.  I appreciate this more than the SC Experts that put no effort into the evaluation process.

He's getting roasted by fools that have no glue.

He has Mond as his 4th rated. I don't like Mond, now I have questions about my observations.  I have to go back and look why. He explained his reason and that's what I will look for in Monds game.

https://youtu.be/F4rLv2g5VNQ

I think Mond makes sense as the developmental guy for the Pats.. someone they plan to sit for at least a year. He has all the tools.. it just depends on how confident BB and company are to fit him into the system. 

The following scenario seems plausible: 

• Patriots draft future #1 Corner at 15
  • Patriots trade Gilmore for a late 2nd rounder
  • Patriots draft Mond and a WR in the 2nd round

BB def wants a #1 corner on his defense, you've got 3 potential #1 guys to pick from, at least 1 guaranteed to be there by 15 imo. Ride out the season with Rookie Corner and JC Jackson then decide if Jackson is the real deal to be paid big money. I'm pretty sure they are going to let him walk if he doesn't sign a team friendly deal this year, so getting a top corner is a much higher priority than we think. 

You then push Williams behind McCourty and try to transition him to be the FS of the future, if you can make that work then you haven't wasted another 2nd round pick on a secondary player. 

The most important part of the puzzle is you need a QB that can give you KC Alex Smith level production for at least a year and a half I'd say. Who would that be though? Winston? Minshew? Fitzpatrick? Mariota? you'd want someone you can build around and be a playoff team then transition to the next guy

I don't see the sense in drafting a corner at 15 when 1. Gilmore is under contract and can have his cap number lowered; 2. the team still has great depth at the position behind Gilmore and Jackson.

If they go defense with the top pick, I expect it to be something in the front-7.