The NFL should seize the opportunity presented by the moment and...

Apparition

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't think they can flex MNF (barring Covid reasons, anyway)?

I don't know if they think flexing such a game will set bad precedent, or whatever, but with the season being what it is, they should absolutely do it this one time. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure that there are TV contracts that factor into this that won't allow it to happen for non covid reasons. 

oh, right, capitalism. 

🙄

How would tv contracts be affected if they simply swap out one game in that slot for another? And CBS is carrying the BAL-IND game anyway, so it's not like the individual networks would be impacted, either. 

Edited by Starless

14 minutes ago, Starless said:

I don't know if they think flexing such a game will set bad precedent, or whatever, but with the season being what it is, they should absolutely do it this one time. 

That's not what I mean. I don't think they can contractually do it. Iirc, the ability to flex matches it's built into the NBC/Fox/CBS contract. Not ESPN.

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

oh, right, capitalism. 

🙄

How would tv contracts be affected if they simply swap out one game in that slot for another? And CBS is carrying the BAL-IND game anyway, so it's not like the individual networks would be impacted, either. 

Why should CBS be cool with letting a high profile matchup like BAL/IND be taken away from them for the dumpster fire that is the NYJ/NE matchup?

Hate on capitalism all you want, but there's no good reason on CBS's side to allow for the swap if they aren't obligated to do it via the contract they agreed to like they are for SNF

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Why should CBS be cool with letting a high profile matchup like BAL/IND be taken away from them for the dumpster fire that is the NYJ/NE matchup?

NE-NYJ would still pull in a similar audience. The Pats are still a big draw, even while sucking. East coast bias and all that jazz. Indy is one of the smallest markets in the league. I think it would even out. 

12 hours ago, Starless said:

...flex next week's MNF game to Sunday afternoon. 

The Pats and Jets have nothing to play for besides draft position and to evaluate players for next season. 

Meanwhile there's a BAL @ IND matchup early Sunday that has major playoff ramifications. Just sayin'.

I wish they would do this.

13 hours ago, Starless said:

NE-NYJ would still pull in a similar audience. The Pats are still a big draw, even while sucking. East coast bias and all that jazz. Indy is one of the smallest markets in the league. I think it would even out. 

Good to know that even when they suck Patriots fans will still be Patriots fans.

13 hours ago, Starless said:

I don't think you're wrong tbh. It's a fair point.