Official New Orleans Pelicans Thread

RavensTillIDie

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

I'm assuming they will, Danny will say he isn't including Tatum AND Brown and they'll agree on a deal of

Tatum / Smart / Williams / #14 / Grizzlies pick

So Tatum, two role players, a late lottery pick in a terrible draft, and another lottery pick in a terrible draft next year. Brown would have to be a part of the package if I'm New Orleans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

So Tatum, two role players, a late lottery pick in a terrible draft, and another lottery pick in a terrible draft next year. Brown would have to be a part of the package if I'm New Orleans. 

They probably get the Grizzlies pick in two years when it’s unprotected which should be right in the middle of their rebuild post Conley. No one is beating the offer I outlined, so why would Boston just toss in Brown? 

25 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

They probably get the Grizzlies pick in two years when it’s unprotected which should be right in the middle of their rebuild post Conley. No one is beating the offer I outlined, so why would Boston just toss in Brown? 

I think what the Knicks and Lakers could offer are comparable. Brown would give Boston the decisive edge. Otherwise it's not hard to see Griffin falling in love with Barrett or something 

Edited by amac

12 minutes ago, amac said:

I think what the Knicks and Lakers could offer are comparable. Brown would give Boston the decisive edge. Otherwise it's not hard to see Griffin falling in love with Barrett or something 

No, they’re really not. Tatum is the best singular asset, Smart is arguably the best defensive player in the league and shot considerably better this year, Williams will be a good energy defender, the Grizzlies pick is likely a top 8 pick in two years.

That is far above the Knicks and Lakers package. Ainge isn’t going to bid against himself and just toss in Jaylen Brown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Boston's offer without Brown is terrible though. Outside of Tatum, you're getting role players and draft assets in bad classes that will likely turn out to be role players as well. 

25 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

No, they’re really not. Tatum is the best singular asset, Smart is arguably the best defensive player in the league and shot considerably better this year, Williams will be a good energy defender, the Grizzlies pick is likely a top 8 pick in two years.

That is far above the Knicks and Lakers package. Ainge isn’t going to bid against himself and just toss in Jaylen Brown.

No, it isn't. Tatum is the best asset is debatable, some might value RJ Barrett more than Tatum as a long term prospect and he'll have two extra years on the rookie deal. Smart is the best defensive player in the league? Give me a break. He's good but he's a role player. Williams hasn't proven anything in the league and at best case scenario is a role player as well. A top 8 pick in 2 years could be valuable, but who's to say it will even be that high of a pick? If Morant and JJJ are good players they could be a fringe playoff team sooner rather than later which devalues the pick significantly. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Boston's offer without Brown is terrible though. Outside of Tatum, you're getting role players and draft assets in bad classes that will likely turn out to be role players as well. 

You know how good the draft class is 2 years from now? The Knicks offer is Barrett (okay prospect) and a bunch of role players. Lakers package is even worse.

Bostons offer without Brown is the best offer. They won’t bid against themselves, keep dreaming.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

No, it isn't. Tatum is the best asset is debatable, some might value RJ Barrett more than Tatum as a long term prospect and he'll have two extra years on the rookie deal. Smart is the best defensive player in the league? Give me a break. He's good but he's a role player. Williams hasn't proven anything in the league and at best case scenario is a role player as well. A top 8 pick in 2 years could be valuable, but who's to say it will even be that high of a pick? If Morant and JJJ are good players they could be a fringe playoff team sooner rather than later which devalues the pick significantly. 

Smart is arguably the best defensive player in the league. Yes. Grizzlies won’t be a fringe playoff team in the West in two years. 

Boston won’t bid against themselves, it’s a nice pipe dream for a Knicks fan though.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Smart is arguably the best defensive player in the league. Yes. Grizzlies won’t be a fringe playoff team in the West in two years. 

Boston won’t bid against themselves, it’s a nice pipe dream for a Knicks fan though.

You think he's a better defender than Rudy Gobert, Draymond Green, etc? Give me a break. That's what everyone thought about Sacramento too, remember that pick was supposed to be so valuable for the Celtics this season? How'd that work out again? It's amazing how adding a dynamic young PG and some good young players can help turn a team around quick. Morant and JJJ will be one of the better young duos in the league, they won't be terrible for long. 

They'll have to outbid a few teams for AD. 

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You think he's a better defender than Rudy Gobert, Draymond Green, etc? Give me a break. That's what everyone thought about Sacramento too, remember that pick was supposed to be so valuable for the Celtics this season? How'd that work out again? It's amazing how adding a dynamic young PG and some good young players can help turn a team around quick. Morant and JJJ will be one of the better young duos in the league, they won't be terrible for long. 

They'll have to outbid a few teams for AD. 

Sacramento has been adding lotto picks for 5-6 years. They will outbid teams. With Tatum and the Memphis pick. In the NBA 4 quarters doesn’t equal a dollar.

Smart and Robert Williams are not going to make or break the deal reagardless. They are never going to be considered critical to anyone's core including Boston. I don't think the Memphis pick will either, as predicting where it will land in 2 years is by no means easy. 

Edited by amac
  • Like 1

It's also worth noting that if Griffin doesn't get the offer he wants he can just tell teams he'll pass, keep AD for a while longer and see what we can do with Jrue, Zion and AD, hoping to tear it up and convince AD to stay. It's a risky play but something to throw consider/throw at other GM's if he gets low-balled. If you want a future HOFer in his prime pony up

Edited by amac
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, amac said:

It's also worth noting that if Griffin doesn't get the offer he wants he can just tell teams he'll pass, keep AD at least til the trade deadline and see what we can do with Jrue, Zion and AD, hoping to tear it up and convince AD to stay. It's a risky play but something to throw consider/throw at other GM's if he gets low-balled. If you want a future HOFer in his prime pony up

Agreed. He doesn't have to trade him over the summer, but the longer he holds out, the lesser package he's going to get. If Davis tells him before the draft he is not going to sign the extent and still wants out, then it's best to get it done before training camp.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I don't want to trade for AD. Any asset is too much for a player I don't trust in re-signing with Boston. Keep Tatum, keep 2019 14th pick. I like Robert Williams' potential, and Memphis future pick. 

This year's draft is NOT great overall, but is full of sleepers. Stay young.

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Agreed. He doesn't have to trade him over the summer, but the longer he holds out, the lesser package he's going to get. If Davis tells him before the draft he is not going to sign the extent and still wants out, then it's best to get it done before training camp.

They're scheduled to have a sit down meeting before the draft.