Throwbacks

Phinsesq

This weekend Miami will be sporting their throwback jerseys. There is an article on PFT talking about a push for this being a permanent replacement of the new uniforms. Despite having recently purchased a new jersey (2 weeks ago) I would completely support this move and likely purchase a new-new jersey. 

I love them but I also love the current home and aways. I think they look clean. Also, too much of a good thing isn't always the best imo. I think the throwbacks are viewed in such high regard partially because it is special when we wear them. Wearing them every week would probably take away from that feeling. 

Personally, I would rather we stay with our current uniform lineup but I would like them to wear the throwbacks more often. We're going into week 10 and I don't believe we've worn them once yet (or maybe we did? can't really remember). They should be worn at least 5-6 times a year, unless there are restrictions put in place by the NFL. I am fine either way, I think we have a top-5 uniform lineup in the league as-is and the throwbacks are universally liked. With the recent push for the throwbacks to be full-time, I wouldn't be surprised if a change happens next year or the other.

Edited by Emerica
  • Like 1

I know it's a polarizing take among Dolphins fans, but I'm a fan of our new logo and uniforms, so I really wouldn't want this to be permanent.

Having said that, I love our throwbacks too and always welcome bringing them out. 3-4 games per season, I'd say is more than fair (I'd also like to see our 1997-2012 logo/throwbacks used occasionally... not as much as our normal throwbacks, obviously, but still)

17 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I know it's a polarizing take among Dolphins fans, but I'm a fan of our new logo and uniforms, so I really wouldn't want this to be permanent.

Having said that, I love our throwbacks too and always welcome bringing them out. 3-4 games per season, I'd say is more than fair (I'd also like to see our 1997-2012 logo/throwbacks used occasionally... not as much as our normal throwbacks, obviously, but still)

That's a hard pass for me.  

But I'm on board with the suggestion of 5 games a year with the throwbacks.  I love the jerseys from the mid-80's.  I'm sure there's some nostalgia there, given that those were the jerseys when I became a fan, but the color scheme on those jerseys is just perfect to me.

1 hour ago, Emerica said:

I love them but I also love the current home and aways. I think they look clean. Also, too much of a good thing isn't always the best imo. I think the throwbacks are viewed in such high regard partially because it is special when we wear them. Wearing them every week would probably take away from that feeling. 

Personally, I would rather we stay with our current uniform lineup but I would like them to wear the throwbacks more often. We're going into week 10 and I don't believe we've worn them once yet (or maybe we did? can't really remember). They should be worn at least 5-6 times a year, unless there are restrictions put in place by the NFL. I am fine either way, I think we have a top-5 uniform lineup in the league as-is and the throwbacks are universally liked. With the recent push for the throwbacks to be full-time, I wouldn't be surprised if a change happens next year or the other.

We haven't worn throwbacks yet this year. In fact, we have only worn our white uniforms this season. We have worn aqua pants in every away game but the Thursday night game in Jacksonville (we wore white pants w/ white socks). And we have worn white pants at home with the aqua socks every home game so far. 

We have yet to see either throwback uniform nor have we seen our aqua uniform to date. Keep in mind that there was not a preseason, and we tend to wear aqua at home during the preseason. So, we literally have not seen any other jersey then the white at all. 

I personally like having four options. I like the modern, clean look of the new uniforms, especially since they changed the shades of aqua and orange (thank God) and eliminated the navy blue in the helmet stripes, pants stripes, and number outlines. I am a big fan of our current number font. But, I also really like the throwbacks. If we went to them fulltime, we wouldn't be able to change it up as much as we currently do. And I agree that the throwbacks would lose some allure if we went to them full time. But, I do love them! Most of the gear I get has the old logo on it, as opposed to our current logo. And I absolutely love how the paint the field when we wear throwbacks. The endzone art is always great. I recall them doing the aqua and orange diamonds a few years ago. Last year they did the classic Dolphins script in the endzones. If we went to that uniform full time, I selfishly would be disappointed to lose that magic it current has for me.  

I will say the only thing I don't love about the current uniform is the logo. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I like that it has less lines and less detail. It much more simple making it look sleek and modern especially in comparison to the aforementioned 1997 logo. I will admit it has grown on me sine it was unveiled in 2013. I really did not like it at all then. Still, idk how I feel about removing the helmet, and changing the position of the jumping dolphin. Those things have been consistent in our logo all the way up until 2013. 

I could see Nike suggesting a uniform change and a logo change once we are due, making us something like our current throwbacks. I would be interested to see our original logo with the simplified lines our current logo has on the body and fins and eye of the dolphin.  Could be a nice marriage of past and present. 

Anyway...for now I like having both a modern and throwback option in both white and aqua. 

54 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That's a hard pass for me.  

But I'm on board with the suggestion of 5 games a year with the throwbacks.  I love the jerseys from the mid-80's.  I'm sure there's some nostalgia there, given that those were the jerseys when I became a fan, but the color scheme on those jerseys is just perfect to me.

That's probably why I  have some fondness for the 1997-2012 logo/uniform, frankly. I was born in 1989 so those were the uniforms the majority of my adolescence when I seriously began following the sport.

• Like 1