Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tetsujin

2022 QB's

Recommended Posts

Just throwing names out there, not including the big name JRs expecting to declare in 2021:

Jayden Daniels, ASU

Kedon Slovis, USC

Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland

Sam Howell, UNC

Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma

 Graham Mertz, Wisconsin

*Michael Penix Jr, Indiana'

*Tyler Shough, Oregon

*Phil Jurkovec, BC

*Carson Strong, Nevada

 

 

*RS Sophomore - draft eligible for 2021

 

Edited by Tetsujin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Just throwing names out there, not including the big name JRs expecting to declare in 2021:

Jayden Daniels, ASU

Kedon Slovis, USC

Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland

Sam Howell, UNC

Michael Penix Jr, Indiana

 

I'm most excited about Howell and Penix here. 

 

Sam Howell gives off strong Baker Mayfield vibes, which can be somewhat worrying I suppose, but his deep ball is phenomenal. Penix, I need to see more of but I'm a fan.

Daniels probably has the biggest boom or bust factor but he's definitely talented. Tugovailoa has looked good in the two games I saw but need a larger sample size.

Not a huge fan of slovis, which is weird cause I usually have an affinity towards USC QBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes 2022 is a great group potentially, very deep with a lot of high end talent.  You forgot about Spencer Rattler who could be a top 3 pick in 2022 no question about it.  Sam Howell is an elite level player and Matt Corral is an absolute baller at times.  Has had his ups and downs but when on he is as dangerous as any QB in the country.  He could declare this season though if he wants to but would be wise to return unless he really hates college or something.  Bo Nix is another solid QB prospect along with Phil Jurkovec who is a huge dude who has done great things on Boston College this year.

 

Penix has done well but that team is good because that defense has 6 if not potentially 8 prospects who could be NFL players at some point, it is one of the best and deepest defensive backfields in the nation with a good LB core as well.  Also Penix has great weapons to throw to at WR, TE and a very tough and physical RB with one of the biggest OTs in the nation blocking for them all.   Dillon Gabriel gets underrated and is a very good player as well.  

 

Taulia has done well but wish he could have played against Ohio State, that would have showed a lot about just how good he really is.  

 

5 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

I'm most excited about Howell and Penix here. 

 

Sam Howell gives off strong Baker Mayfield vibes, which can be somewhat worrying I suppose, but his deep ball is phenomenal. Penix, I need to see more of but I'm a fan.

Daniels probably has the biggest boom or bust factor but he's definitely talented. Tugovailoa has looked good in the two games I saw but need a larger sample size.

Not a huge fan of slovis, which is weird cause I usually have an affinity towards USC QBs.

Yeah I heard that Baker Mayfield comp this weekend during some games.  I do not buy that, Baker Mayfield was quicker, a better runner and better at scrambling around with his legs to make plays.  Howell is a solid QB, plays more in the pocket, he can run but does not rely on it nearly as much as Baker did throughout his career.  Case in point Baker ran for over 1000 yards in 4 years with 21 rushing TDs.  Howell will never get close to that and will not have a 400 yard rushing season like Baker did.  Sam Howell is not as brash and cocky as Baker was, he is far more subdued and controlled.  It also seems like Sam is just a bigger guy than Baker is, on paper they are very close height and weight but does not look like it on the field.  Personality wise though I would not call them the same at all.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yes 2022 is a great group potentially, very deep with a lot of high end talent.  You forgot about Spencer Rattler who could be a top 3 pick in 2022 no question about it.  Sam Howell is an elite level player and Matt Corral is an absolute baller at times.  Has had his ups and downs but when on he is as dangerous as any QB in the country.  He could declare this season though if he wants to but would be wise to return unless he really hates college or something.  Bo Nix is another solid QB prospect along with Phil Jurkovec who is a huge dude who has done great things on Boston College this year.

 

Penix has done well but that team is good because that defense has 6 if not potentially 8 prospects who could be NFL players at some point, it is one of the best and deepest defensive backfields in the nation with a good LB core as well.  Also Penix has great weapons to throw to at WR, TE and a very tough and physical RB with one of the biggest OTs in the nation blocking for them all.   Dillon Gabriel gets underrated and is a very good player as well.  

 

Taulia has done well but wish he could have played against Ohio State, that would have showed a lot about just how good he really is.  

 

Yeah I heard that Baker Mayfield comp this weekend during some games.  I do not buy that, Baker Mayfield was quicker, a better runner and better at scrambling around with his legs to make plays.  Howell is a solid QB, plays more in the pocket, he can run but does not rely on it nearly as much as Baker did throughout his career.  Case in point Baker ran for over 1000 yards in 4 years with 21 rushing TDs.  Howell will never get close to that and will not have a 400 yard rushing season like Baker did.  Sam Howell is not as brash and cocky as Baker was, he is far more subdued and controlled.  It also seems like Sam is just a bigger guy than Baker is, on paper they are very close height and weight but does not look like it on the field.  Personality wise though I would not call them the same at all.  

 

Yeah I don’t see the Baker comparison other than people thinking they look alike in the face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Homer pick here and he absolutely needs some significant development (wouldn't shock me if he's more of a 2023 QB), but Tyler Shough is a kid to keep an eye on going forward. Big kid (6'5 probably 215-220 right now as a RsSoph) that can really move around and has thrown some beautiful deep balls in his 2 games as a starter. Oregon's offensive playcalling looks light years better under Moorhead and he is going to have a really talented group of playmakers over the next few seasons. Physically has what you look for from an athleticism and arm strength perspective, just needs to continue to progress when it comes to reading underneath coverage and ball placement. 

Have not been impressed by Slovis honestly. Not that air raid QBs can't be successful - we've seen that narrative debunked on numerous occasions lately - but he really strikes me as a kid with minimal physical talent. doesn't get great zip on his intermediate throws, and isn't impressive at all athletically. To me, he's Josh Rosen with a weaker arm and throwing to better players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ScoDucks823 said:

Homer pick here and he absolutely needs some significant development (wouldn't shock me if he's more of a 2023 QB), but Tyler Shough is a kid to keep an eye on going forward. Big kid (6'5 probably 215-220 right now as a RsSoph) that can really move around and has thrown some beautiful deep balls in his 2 games as a starter. Oregon's offensive playcalling looks light years better under Moorhead and he is going to have a really talented group of playmakers over the next few seasons. Physically has what you look for from an athleticism and arm strength perspective, just needs to continue to progress when it comes to reading underneath coverage and ball placement. 

Have not been impressed by Slovis honestly. Not that air raid QBs can't be successful - we've seen that narrative debunked on numerous occasions lately - but he really strikes me as a kid with minimal physical talent. doesn't get great zip on his intermediate throws, and isn't impressive at all athletically. To me, he's Josh Rosen with a weaker arm and throwing to better players. 

Yeah Shough is a good looking athlete no doubt, but so is Dylan McCaffrey.  Shough will have to be consistent over a long period of time and prove his worth a little more but is off to a great start for sure.

 

Slovis has great pocket fundamentals, throws with great timing and has a good quick release.  His arm is injured though I feel, got really hit hard in that bowl game last year and it looked really bad, this year his throwing arm looks hurt to some degree still with how he has thrown.  Does not throw good spirals so it is something he is still working through.  Still the kid has won two games late this season and brought his team back to victory, something Rosen rarely did.  

Oh and Josh Rosen was a spoiled rich kid with a cob stuck up his butt.  Awful teammate in college and played with terrible body language and just was not very good mentally as a competitor or a leader.  Slovis does not have that stuck up privileged boy trait or personality, so he is already ahead of Rosen.  Who apparently maybe should be working at McDonalds actually based on how his career has turned out so far in a pass happy, QB friendly, never touch the QB league.  Look at Kirk Cousins though, arm strength can be improved, also ask Tom Brady on that as well, if one is willing to put in the work those things they can be improved.  Slovis has some great fundamentals though to work with, like when he throws the ball, who to throw it to and how to quickly get it off under pressure.  Also love his footwork and general pocket presence which is arguably one of the best in college football currently.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was avoiding adding Jurkovec and Shough because they're draft-eligble, but I'll add them to the list anyways because Penix is on there.

Edited by Tetsujin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah Shough is a good looking athlete no doubt, but so is Dylan McCaffrey.  Shough will have to be consistent over a long period of time and prove his worth a little more but is off to a great start for sure.

 

Slovis has great pocket fundamentals, throws with great timing and has a good quick release.  His arm is injured though I feel, got really hit hard in that bowl game last year and it looked really bad, this year his throwing arm looks hurt to some degree still with how he has thrown.  Does not throw good spirals so it is something he is still working through.  Still the kid has won two games late this season and brought his team back to victory, something Rosen rarely did.  

Oh and Josh Rosen was a spoiled rich kid with a cob stuck up his butt.  Awful teammate in college and played with terrible body language and just was not very good mentally as a competitor or a leader.  Slovis does not have that stuck up privileged boy trait or personality, so he is already ahead of Rosen.  Who apparently maybe should be working at McDonalds actually based on how his career has turned out so far in a pass happy, QB friendly, never touch the QB league.  Look at Kirk Cousins though, arm strength can be improved, also ask Tom Brady on that as well, if one is willing to put in the work those things they can be improved.  Slovis has some great fundamentals though to work with, like when he throws the ball, who to throw it to and how to quickly get it off under pressure.  Also love his footwork and general pocket presence which is arguably one of the best in college football currently.  

Analysts seem to love Slovis for some of the same reasons you mentioned. He looks comfortable in the pocket only to get to his 4th read and throw a checkdown. He does have very good fundamentals, but as a prospect that makes him a backup when that's his big selling point. You have to consider physical limitations, and Slovis is a thin framed kid with very limited mobility and arm strength in a league that values those things more and more. He's more of a Fromm kind of guy imo. very good college QB who isn't going to lose you games and probably hangs around the league as a backup, but ends up as more of a round 3-6 prospect than a first rounder. 

On Shough, no doubt he's raw and needs to show more, but the physical traits jump out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I wonder if it would be better for Brock Purdy (Iowa State) to go back for his Senior year, he has been really hit or miss this season

He's really not very good. Don't see him ever being more than, at best, a mid round QB who develops into a decent backup.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SC fan here so obviously biased but I do think Slovis can be special. He has great pocket awareness and moves his feet so well while always looking to throw and find his next read. However he is definitely not 100% right now. I don’t know what it is but simple throws that he laser’d in last year as a true frosh and 15 pounds lighter he’s just pushing in with some wobble. I hope it’s just due to his shoulder injury and not being able to throw his normal amount in the off season. 
 

I do believe he puts its all together next year and shows out. His body is improving and he’s more athletic than given credit for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't watched a game of theirs this year, so bear with me, but they seem to be doing well. How does Hank Bachmeier - Boise State look?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ozzy said:

Phil Jurkovec who is a huge dude who has done great things on Boston College this year.

I'm with you on him, I like him a lot. Needs to be less of a hero and take what's there moving forward, but he can be really good with refinement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm with you on him, I like him a lot. Needs to be less of a hero and take what's there moving forward, but he can be really good with refinement 

Yeah he looks great and it is pretty shocking how good they are passing the ball now.  Surprised Bailey is not running the ball as well but Flowers is a big time receiver target, Long has played great at TE and CJ Lewis has done well and Gill the Ohio State transfer is solid at receiver also.  I thought they could run the ball better with such a good offensive line but is better overall and long term they are more well rounded and Jurkovec really helps them with that.  Also have two of the better tackling linebackers in the country with McDuffie and Richardson.

 

Hafley is a hell of a coach though and Lukabu is a damn good defensive coordinator as well.  Would not be surprised if a bigger school takes them away quickly from BC.  Doubt they would stay there long term but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...