Draft Discussion, team needs, 2021 FA...

Giants4eva

On 12/21/2020 at 12:46 PM, Giants4eva said:

I think some money has to be spent on a guy like Bud Dupree or Yannick. Then go into the draft for a guy like Devonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle. This next draft is very light on elite talent. There is no Chase Young in this next draft. Rousseau or Paye are the top 2 on edge. Im of the mindset go into the draft going for offensive weapons. Or the flip side is bring in a guy like Allen Robinson and draft Paye and possibly a guy like Shaun Wade 

I agree this draft class is meh.  I think we HAVE to get a premium edge rusher in FA and it's going to cost a lot of money.  I would love to sign Williams long term and admit I was wrong about him.  I think the trade was still stupid and mismanaged, but he's been an impact player.  If we have a real live actual legitimate edge rusher, it will only make our DL stronger.  However, I think Williams may be approaching Donald money which may be unfeasible.  Dalvin needs to be resigned, too.  He's underappreciated by a lot of fans, imo, because he doesn't get stats, but he pushes the pocket and is fantastic against the run. 

Truly, the only place we are "set" is QB, RB, S, and IDL (pending FA... we could be empty there).  I think we need immediate upgrades at: Edge, CB2, WR, and both OG.  It's looking like we're gonna need help at RT and ILB, too.  The FA class is very top heavy for OL and I don't think we are going to be able to get any of the top guys.  However, given that nearly every team is in cap hell except a few, a lot of players may be forced into 1-2 year deals and hope the market resets next year. 

My dream scenario would be: Solder retires, resign Williams, sign Bud Dupree and Allen Robinson.  Draft Micah Parsons in the first, an OG in the second, and a CB2 in the third.   If money permits, I would look at William Jackson III for CB2 simply because it's rare that CB transition like Holmes has.  We would have a lot of money - Bradberry, Ryan, Williams - tied up in secondary but it would free us up to double down on OL or another playmaker in the third.  Reddick would also be a target if the price is right.  I would not pay him premium money for one year of production, even though his production came on a year that he was used properly.

That would give the defense huge reinforcements and also give a legit WR1 (and imo, top 5 WR) for Jones to grow with in addition to maybe hopefully solidifying the OL for once. 

36 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Watching the Bama Notre Dame bowl game.. Devonta Smith would look very nice in Giants blue. Kid is just dominating

I'm just enjoying watching ND lose embarrassingly. So many fair weather ND fans in my area. They're like the Cowboys of the NCAA. 

20 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

The 11th pick in the draft is not that bad at all. I wonder how the tie breakers would have worked out if we were 5-11. Either way we should still be able to get a very good player here.

would've been the 8th pick if you lost I believe.

• Like 1

The sting of missing the playoffs is over. This is what I am doing if I am Giants.

Sign Allen Robinson to an 18 mill a year contract he wants.

Franchise  Leonard Williams 

1st round draft pass rushing DL

2nd round draft pass rushing LB

Trade up back into the 2nd round to get our #2 CB.

If we do this, the only slight weakness I see on our team is at RT and that is if Peart does not develop, though I am pretty sure he will develop, if he does not who knows maybe we keep Solder around?  Some one could say Evan Engram is a weakness, at just 5 million he is too cheap to cut. If we can't trade him for a 3rd round pick lets just make Kaden Smith a bigger part of the offense. 

6 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

The sting of missing the playoffs is over. This is what I am doing if I am Giants.

Sign Allen Robinson to an 18 mill a year contract he wants.

Franchise  Leonard Williams 

1st round draft pass rushing DL

2nd round draft pass rushing LB

Trade up back into the 2nd round to get our #2 CB.

If we do this, the only slight weakness I see on our team is at RT and that is if Peart does not develop, though I am pretty sure he will develop, if he does not who knows maybe we keep Solder around?  Some one could say Evan Engram is a weakness, at just 5 million he is too cheap to cut. If we can't trade him for a 3rd round pick lets just make Kaden Smith a bigger part of the offense. 

I have no problem missing the playoffs. We did our part. Philly , however, yet again showing how when u tank a game on purpose it looks like a black eye on football. Im sure phillys players right now have all the love in the world for Doug Pederson.

Edited by Giants4eva

I hate that the season is over and I don't know if Daniel Jones is the answer at QB.  The Giants seem convinced he is, I'm not so sure.  If I were the Giants, I would do my due diligence scouting Zach Wilson and Trey Lance, who have a chance of being there at 11.  Regardless, the Giants better get a new OC and a true #1 receiver.

Edited by Gmen

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I hate that the season is over and I don't know if Daniel Jones is the answer at QB.  The Giants seem convinced he is, I'm not so sure.  If I were the Giants, I would do my due diligence scouting Zach Wilson and Trey Lance, who have a chance of being there at 11.  Regardless, the Giants better get a new OC and a true #1 receiver.

I think you have to give him one more year. Horrible sophomore slump no doubt. His numbers this season are paltry and pathetic. But he had to learn a new offensive scheme and had no offseason to do it. He'll get SB back, sign or draft him a true #1 and see if he can return to what we saw in his rookie season (minus the fumbles). One more draft to build up the Oline and Defense. If he sucks again then you'll be right back in the top 15 again and take a QB there or sign a journeyman. This defense is good enough to win right now, just fix the offense and this team could be in contention next season. Starting over with another QB right now sets that back.

32 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I think you have to give him one more year. Horrible sophomore slump no doubt. His numbers this season are paltry and pathetic. But he had to learn a new offensive scheme and had no offseason to do it. He'll get SB back, sign or draft him a true #1 and see if he can return to what we saw in his rookie season (minus the fumbles). One more draft to build up the Oline and Defense. If he sucks again then you'll be right back in the top 15 again and take a QB there or sign a journeyman. This defense is good enough to win right now, just fix the offense and this team could be in contention next season. Starting over with another QB right now sets that back.

Because QB is the most important position, I think it's better to be aggressive in the search for the right QB.  The Cardinals turned their fortunes around quickly by moving on from Rosen in favor of Murray.  The conservative approach of drafting Bosa, and letting Rosen play another year would have cost the franchise.

This is something that hasn't been talked about much, but imagine if WFT had recognized that Haskins was a dud earlier and drafted Herbert last year?  And to a lesser extent, what if the Giants drafted Herbert and then traded Jones away for a 2nd round pick?  It would have seemed crazy at the time, but we'd be better off today.

And I know there is a flip side to this like - what if the Bills moved on from Josh Allen after year two?   But I still think it's better to be aggressive in your search.