Coaches, should they be replaced?

resilient part 2

10 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

None, and nothing.

Well Marvin Lewis came to mind at least. He’s a guy who’s had a decent team for a long time with some good runs but no playoff success, and recently lost his coordinators to head coaching jobs and watched his team fall apart without them.

I think the two situations are fairly comparable. While I doubt anyone’s hiring our coordinators any time soon, and Linehan and Marinelli are not above criticism, they are professionals who’ve done objectively well both in Dallas and elsewhere. I really wonder where this team would be without them.

When you get blown out the way we have, it’s so much more of a systemic issue than minute problems will playcalling.

Just to throw some names out there for the fu  of it (Not promoting a coaching change, just having fun)

Sonny Cumbie (TCUs OC) - More for OC than HC. But I like his play designs. A little on the newer, cutting edge side of things. Not that you can do something that hasnt been done.before cause its all been done before. But kind of reminds me a little of McCarthys new age style.

Alex Van Pelt (Gb) - Another OC option really. But hes been around Rodgers for half a decade now, and helped run some good offenses in his time coming up through TB and Buffalo.

Mike Vrabel (Hou) - A leader. Just simply a leader. Always has been. And now is running a quality defense after spending years in a defense run by Belichick and Parcells. This guy will be a hell of a HC when given his chance I think.

Honestly cant think of many other candidates worth a fit here. At HC this team needs more a leader than a play designer and system guru. Too youthful of a team to bring in a young x and o guy and neglect the leadership component. That works for some teams, but i dont see it working for this one. Which is partly why Id prefer keeping Jg. Say what you will but he is a leader with a persistant message who doesnt undermine the players and pushes playing football over all else. Thats leadership.

Just now, Dallas94Ware said:

Mike Vrabel (Hou) - A leader. Just simply a leader. Always has been. And now is running a quality defense after spending years in a defense run by Belichick and Parcells. This guy will be a hell of a HC when given his chance I think.

Vrabel has me intrigued, I won't lie. He's defensive-minded, which is already a plus in my book. Kinda similar philosophy to Garrett in a sense and I expect he could bring in some younger, more innovative coordinators with him which would be yet another plus.

1 minute ago, Desperado82 said:

Anyone think Eberflus is still an option? Kinda doubting it.

This is the most realistic option. Worked two different fronts, has a say in coverage design now as well as coaching the linebackers, worked under two very different coordinators, and shadowed Monte Kiffin the year he was here. He also received somemention as a Hc option or interviewee around the league the last two years.

Realistically, if the team makes a change, look for continuity - promotions from within. Ie, Derek Dooley or Wilson at OC, Eberflus at Dc, Linehan at HC, or something like that.

20 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Vrabel has me intrigued, I won't lie. He's defensive-minded, which is already a plus in my book. Kinda similar philosophy to Garrett in a sense and I expect he could bring in some younger, more innovative coordinators with him which would be yet another plus.

Ah. This is one. I Could get behind Vrabel

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Ah. This is one. I Could get behind Vrabel

Like I said in D82s initial quote, the man is a leader and always has been. Everyone gets so wrapped up in play design and adjustments and coordinating and play calling...Head Coach is more leadership, management, and talent evaluation than any of those things. You have coordinators for that. Yes, more coaches nowadays coordinate one side of the ball, but ideally, especially on a yoing team, you want LEADERSHIP above all else. 

Vrabel does bring play design and scheme and likely playcalling expertise to the table as well, though. Maybe not to the level as Mike Zimmer did in Minn, or Carrol to Seattle etc, but he doesnt need to - especially running that hybrid front version of the same over 1/cover 2 blend that Parcells ran in the 80s even. Simply master the simple stuff and dare someone to beat you. It wont happen.

33 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

This is the most realistic option. Worked two different fronts, has a say in coverage design now as well as coaching the linebackers, worked under two very different coordinators, and shadowed Monte Kiffin the year he was here. He also received somemention as a Hc option or interviewee around the league the last two years.

Realistically, if the team makes a change, look for continuity - promotions from within. Ie, Derek Dooley or Wilson at OC, Eberflus at Dc, Linehan at HC, or something like that.

I think it'd be a mistake, honestly, to stick with someone from within. But what do I know.

5 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I think it'd be a mistake, honestly, to stick with someone from within. But what do I know.

We have seen it fail before...Campo for example. But, with how this team has built itself and its staff, i cant see it going any other way. Also going a bit on what Ive heard Broaddus say, about Eberflus shadowing Kiffin and how hes heard Stephen talk about how he expects the next man up idea to work on this staff also.

56 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

No. I mean, his job title is passing game coord.and linebackers. That probably doesn't bode well.

He is a defensive passing coordinator. Not offense.

Essentially he is responsible for teaching coverage concepts to the linebackers as well as his typical linebacker tutoring.

Theres actually an article on this somewhere in where Marinelli explains the title and duties, you can google it.

A position coach is usually responsible for teaching scheme and mechanics, providing study materials, and giving input to coordinators and HC about each player. Eberflus now has the luxury of explaining and teaching coverage as well, going beyond the basic principles of teaching a position and having more input to the DC over which coverages and assignments work best for his unit, or which unit to use when planning to call a specific coverage.

Archived