2021 draft talk

Johnny Nix

9 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I think with Sewell specifically he’s pretty young, so I was hoping to see him grow. He also hasn’t exactly played against top competition. 

I feel like I've battled this take on CJ for two weeks.  No the PAC 12 isn't the SEC, but those teams are still filled with 4 and 5  star recruits.  They also played two bowl games (Wisconsin and Michigan State).  He was great in those two games as well.

Would I have liked to see him more?  Sure.  But Trey Lance is getting run as the third QB in the draft, played at NDSt, and only played one game this year.  There are going to be a ton of guys drafted in the top 20 that opted out or had schools cancel the season on them (Lance).

Yeah, we need to not overthink this one.  Take the franchise LT (move Jonah to RT, cut Hart for savings), sign Thuney for LG as the highest paid G in football if we have to with the AJ and Geno (cut) money, and resign Spain for RG.

LT: Sewell
LG: Thuney
OC: Hopkins
RG: Spain
RT: Jonah

Tell me you aren't feeling a whole lot better about that oline

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, we need to not overthink this one.  Take the franchise LT (move Jonah to RT, cut Hart for savings), sign Thuney for LG as the highest paid G in football if we have to with the AJ and Geno (cut) money, and resign Spain for RG.

LT: Sewell
LG: Thuney
OC: Hopkins
RG: Spain
RT: Jonah

Tell me you aren't feeling a whole lot better about that oline

I would feel better for sure. But I highly doubt we are signing Thuney. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I doubt it too, but they need to do something drastic to change their perception around the league.

I'm drafting another lineman.  Would love Thuney, but can't see it happening.  The only chance we have is that he is somewhat local and has a few rings to his name.

4 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I would feel better for sure. But I highly doubt we are signing Thuney. 

I doubt they even make a serious effort to get Thuney. We have a couple of defensive starters about to enter free agency (Lawson and WJ3) and a couple who the team will want to extend this offseason (Bates and Hubbard). So we'll get a song and dance about how the money isn't there for talent upgrades from outside. Then instead of paying Thuney 15 mil, they'll pay Hart and Uzomah 13 mil. 

2020 Brandon  Scherf  Washington  6-7

2019 Brandon Brooks Philadelphia 9-7

2018 Zack Martin  Dallas 10-6

2017 Kevin Zeitler Cleveland 0-16

2019 KC spent 9,359,187 on guards

2018 NE spent 9,803,357

2017 Philly spent 10,500,000

I don't think paying guards as much as you can is a great allocation of money.  We can find two starters to get the job done for less than what Thuney gets.

Certainly we can find cheaper guards. But do you trust this team to find better guards? 

Paying a fair market rate (ie making him the highest paid guard in the league) for the best guard available isn't unreasonable. Since there are limitations on what we can spend, it also allows us to move on from dead wood like Hart. Twofer!

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Certainly we can find cheaper guards. But do you trust this team to find better guards? 

Paying a fair market rate (ie making him the highest paid guard in the league) for the best guard available isn't unreasonable. Since there are limitations on what we can spend, it also allows us to move on from dead wood like Hart. Twofer!

Especially if you have two starters at tackle on rookie deals 

5 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

This jets win may end up screwing us out of Sewell.  I'm not convinced the Jets give up on Darnold except for Lawrence.  Elite left tackle might be the choice over second ranked qb. Does this mean I need to keep looking?  Hold on while I do 40 simulated drafts.

They could go Sewell, but if they keep Darnold, they might want to give him a true #1 WR.  Plus, they just took Bechton last year and he's looked good.  Easiest move is to throw in an extra pick and move up a spot, or put up with the anxiety of Mike Brown somehow screwing this up between now and the draft (much like last year, when thousands of fans were convinced we'd mess up the Burrow pick too).

Gase is all but gone, and the new HC will probably want to move on from Darnold.

3. Penei Sewell OT Oregon

35. DeVonta Smith WR Alabama

73. Elijah Molden CB Washington

99. Alim McNeill DT North Carolina State

122. Amari Rodgers WR Clemson

132. Jordan Smith EDGE UAB

164. Camryn Bynum CB California

193. Thomas Booker EDGE Stanford

196. Dante StillsDT West Virginia

2022 NYG 6th

Oh good. I'm told all is well 

3 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

3. Penei Sewell OT Oregon

35. DeVonta Smith WR Alabama

73. Elijah Molden CB Washington

99. Alim McNeill DT North Carolina State

122. Amari Rodgers WR Clemson

132. Jordan Smith EDGE UAB

164. Camryn Bynum CB California

193. Thomas Booker EDGE Stanford

196. Dante StillsDT West Virginia

2022 NYG 6th

Oh good. I'm told all is well 

How did we get DeVonta Smith at 35?  Did he just commit a felony that I didn't hear about yet?

Edited by INbengalfan

9 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

How did we get DeVonta Smith at 35?  Did he just commit a felony that I didn't hear about yet?

Even in a simulation,  I grabbed him quickly.  I really should have gone back to look, but honestly,  there will probably be 5 guys there in reality that we think have 0 chance of getting to us now.  

DeVonta Smith won't fall out of the first round. He's a great WR but he's also pretty small and teams have been burned overdrafting possession receivers. 

I think we'll get a chance at Najee Harris in round 2 and wouldn't cry if we took him (assuming Sewell in round 1).