A grand way to determine future Super Bowl locations (up through SB74)

pf9

18 hours ago, pf9 said:

As of 2020, only half of the NFL's current teams have seen at least one of their home stadiums over the years host the Super Bowl: the 49ers, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Dolphins. Falcons, Giants/Jets, Jaguars. Lions, Rams, Saints, Texans, and Vikings.

Starting with Super Bowl 58, every Super Bowl up to 74 (except 59) should be awarded to the host stadiums of the teams whose home stadiums have never hosted the Super Bowl. In fact, the AFC North is currently the only division where none of its teams have had its stadium host the Super Bowl, which is particularly devastating in Cleveland, as FirstEnergy Stadium is the oldest NFL venue that has never hosted an NFL playoff game of any sort, and the Browns are the only NFL team that have never won a division title in my lifetime, which can largely be blamed on Art Modell, and later, the decision of the Browns not to draft Ben Rothlisberger in 2004.

So this means that quite a bit of Super Bowls between 58 and 74 would be played in cold weather venues. The New Jersey Super Bowl doesn't have to be a one-time thing. If need be, the halftime show can be held at a nearby NBA/NHL venue. The host team rotation for Super Bowls 75-104 (two venues are shared by two teams) would then be determined by a lottery, and this rotation would then stick for as long as the NFL is a 32-team league. The NFL did not even have a Sun Belt team until 1946, their 27th season of operation. Thus, every title game between 1933-45 was played in a cold-weather venue. And most continued to be until the merger with the AFL.

I'm sorry, but no one wants to go to Cleveland, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Cincinnati during the winter. They just don't.

• Like 1

I've already stated there is precedent for my proposal.

Most official NFL championship games before the AFL merger took place in cold-weather venues. And there were quite a bit of them played in Green Bay, the NFL's northernmost city for many years. Like the Ice Bowl.

Therefore, people like Vince Lombardi would not share most of your views that football title games should not be played in cold weather.

17 hours ago, pf9 said:

There's also lots of money to be made from a Super Bowl played at Lambeau Field. The Packers, as the most title-rich team in NFL history (to the point where Green Bay is called Titletown USA), are among the most marketable NFL teams in today's era.

But I thought money caused more problems?

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

But I thought money caused more problems?

It does only at the expense of fairness. And in many ways, the NBA and NHL playing during what should have been their offseasons was unfair for many involved in those leagues (like certain teams being left out of the restart including both Detroit teams which hurt Fox Sports Detroit the most, keeping players away from their families, the list goes on and on).

Edited by pf9

40 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Most official NFL championship games before the AFL merger took place in cold-weather venues. And there were quite a bit of them played in Green Bay, the NFL's northernmost city for many years. Like the Ice Bowl.

Therefore, people like Vince Lombardi would not share most of your views that football title games should not be played in cold weather.

That was back when Football wasn't nearly as big as it is now. It wasn't a billion dollar industry - SB MVP Bart Start was the highest paid player in football... at $100,000 (or roughly 1/7th the salary of Colts DE Ben Banogu). The money changes everything on this one. Lombardi isn't the guy who is asked, the 32 owners make this decision - The coaches don't make these decisions, so Lombardi's take on it doesn't matter.

The owners say they want to go to areas where they will make money. That's not Ohio, that's not Wisconsin.

Yeah the money thing is likely what is preventing certain cities from hosting the Super Bowl. Like I said an NFL game can be played in any reasonable climate, even International Falls could be possible (albeit people would hate it) but the fans and others wouldn't want to go to those places for the most part. Plus the concerts would be more difficult to do as well as travel. 

• Like 1

Just now, NeptunePenguins said:

Yeah the money thing is likely what is preventing certain cities from hosting the Super Bowl. Like I said an NFL game can be played in any reasonable climate, even International Falls could be possible (albeit people would hate it) but the fans and others wouldn't want to go to those places for the most part. Plus the concerts would be more difficult to do as well as travel. 

Venues such as the NFL Experience, the Pepsi Concert Series, Radio Row - they're all outside events. They're not the Super Bowl, but they're the things that make the Super Bowl different than the World Series, the NBA Finals, the Stanley Cup Finals - the Super Bowl is a party leading up to the game, an outdoor party.

Nobody wants to be outside in -15 degree weather for these things.

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Dead men tell no tales.

I posted the NFL’s standards for hosting a Super Bowl when Minnesota hosted. Please go through the document and confirm that everything applies to Cleveland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Vince Lombardi is dead. His views on things don't matter anymore. 

The vast majority of the people that played in those pre-merger games (54+ years ago) are dead and said they were the worst types of games to play in. The fans in those games hated them too. The Super Bowl shouldn't be played in the cold. It doesn't balance the playing field.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

They went to Minnesota. I think those teams...even Green Bay could host a Superbowl.

It has more to do with the domes at a certain point. Detroit, Minnesota, teams with indoor stadiums would be fine. But outdoor teams shouldn't host hte northern super bowl.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Venues such as the NFL Experience, the Pepsi Concert Series, Radio Row - they're all outside events. They're not the Super Bowl, but they're the things that make the Super Bowl different than the World Series, the NBA Finals, the Stanley Cup Finals - the Super Bowl is a party leading up to the game, an outdoor party.

Nobody wants to be outside in -15 degree weather for these things.

Those things could easily be held in nearby indoor venues (most of which play host to an NBA and/or NHL team), like what happened at the New Jersey Super Bowl.