My mock offseason number two

LoganF89

32 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

stupid thing submited didnt let me type what I wanted

we will cut and resign him

If we cut Alex why would he re-sign here?

I think it’s all up in the air at this point. If Alex doesn’t play well the rest of the year, they could cut him. If Alex plays well and they win the division or come close, I think he’ll start the season next year as the starter. Also, Alex could take a pay cut/restructure to stay as the back up/compete for the starting job next year if he plays ok the rest of the year and they draft a QB in the top 10 or if Kyle/Haskins are still here and look good in the offseason.

It’s really all up in the air IMO. With the way Alex is playing right now though the only way I don’t see him coming back is if it’s his choice meaning he retires.

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Give me Alex for 20 mil over Dak for 37. Let Dallas keep his overpriced tail. Help ensure we can beat them for many years to come.

Rest is fine.

I do have to point out that he’s 7-1 against Washington, with a +93 (approximately 11.5 per game) point differential. 

I know your point is that it’s one thing to have Dak for $1M a year, as they have, and for $35M a year. You’re totally right, of course, it will seriously — maybe catastrophically — affect the amount of talent they can put around him. But just thought it sounded a little odd, at first blush, to hear a Washington fan say “hope they keep Dak so we can beat them forever,” when he’s flat out killed us ever since he arrived. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I do have to point out that he’s 7-1 against Washington, with a +93 (approximately 11.5 per game) point differential. 

I know your point is that it’s one thing to have Dak for $1M a year, as they have, and for $35M a year. You’re totally right, of course, it will seriously — maybe catastrophically — affect the amount of talent they can put around him. But just thought it sounded a little odd, at first blush, to hear a Washington fan say “hope they keep Dak so we can beat them forever,” when he’s flat out killed us ever since he arrived. 

You mean Dallas is 7-1 vs Washington right? Dak wasn’t the only reason we lost those games. I remember our defense being quite awful since Dak was drafted by Dallas. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m still confused as to why people think Pittsburgh will trade for Haskins. Generally, the Steelers don’t trade for other teams players although they did trade for Minka Fitzpatrick after they lost Sean Davis last year to a shoulder injury and the Steelers have back up QBs.

Then, you have us drafting Mond? Why wouldn’t Pitt just keep the pick and take a QB like Mond in round 3 or 4 if they wanted to move on from Mason Rudolph and Josh Dobbs? Which, there’s been no evidence that they do.

I can’t imagine there are too many people outside of Kellen Mond’s family who think he’s as talented as Dwayne Haskins. Seems like an obvious buy-low situation where they can pay a pretty low price to get a 24-year-old kid who almost everyone unanimously agreed was a 1st round talent a couple years ago.

I can’t say I think the Steelers would be too pleased about most of the “intangible” stuff that we’ve all heard about Haskins at this point. But if I’m them, I’d much rather take a shot on a very talented player like Darnold or Haskins — and bank on the possibility that a terrible organization failed to make it work with a potential star — than just take whomever happens to be left on the board at the end of the 3rd or 4th round. They tried that move with Rudolph a couple years ago, and it was an unmitigated failure. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

But just thought it sounded a little odd, at first blush, to hear a Washington fan say “hope they keep Dak so we can beat them forever,” when he’s flat out killed us ever since he arrived. 

We've pretty much been a train wreck the whole time he's been in Dallas though.  

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I was at the game where we beat the Cowboys.  Dakota pushed the ball the entire fourth quarter and nearly engineered a pretty damn good comeback.  A field goal off the upright prevented the tie if I recall correctly. 

It might sound silly but I’d like this team to kinda go balls to the wall in free agency. Hunter Henry and JuJu Smith-Schuster. That’s who I want. If possible re-sign Rouhllier, Scherff and Darby as well. I think that’s somewhat reasonable but they won’t do it and we’ll sign a bunch of former panthers and practice squad guys. 

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It might sound silly but I’d like this team to kinda go balls to the wall in free agency. Hunter Henry and JuJu Smith-Schuster. That’s who I want. If possible re-sign Rouhllier, Scherff and Darby as well. I think that’s somewhat reasonable but they won’t do it and we’ll sign a bunch of former panthers and practice squad guys. 

I wouldn't be against it, but I don't want to hear people complain if we do it and then don't improve much like last decade while they say same old Snyder & buying a team doesn't work, you need to build it through the draft. Basically if we're huge players in free agency in March and then it doesn't translate into the playoffs, I don't want people flip flopping about that approach like they are now about having wanted to build through the draft for over a decade plus but now they want to go hogwild in free agency.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I wouldn't be against it, but I don't want to hear people complain if we do it and then don't improve much like last decade while they say same old Snyder & buying a team doesn't work, you need to build it through the draft. Basically if we're huge players in free agency in March and then it doesn't translate into the playoffs, I don't want people flip flopping about that approach like they are now about having wanted to build through the draft for over a decade plus but now they want to go hogwild in free agency.

We’ve been building through the draft since Bruce took over. He does nothing in free agency and then we trade back in the draft, passing on better players because we have a million holes to fill and then force ourselves into a situation where said holes are filled with guys like KPL and Bostic. Or we overdraft guys like Apke and Wes Martin. 

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We’ve been building through the draft since Bruce took over. He does nothing in free agency and then we trade back in the draft, passing on better players because we have a million holes to fill and then force ourselves into a situation where said holes are filled with guys like KPL and Bostic. Or we overdraft guys like Apke and Wes Martin. 

I’ve always believed there needs to be a balance between the two. Teams should always build through the draft but, getting a few good players in free agency every year is important too. 

Under Vinny we didn’t build well enough through the draft. I agree that Under Shanahan & Allen we didn’t do enough in free agency except in 2011 when we rebuilt our defense mostly in free agency and along with the addition of Kerrigan became a good defense.

The only thing I’d switch is signing Dak and cutting Smith. I’d be cool with Mond learning behind Smith because he has a live arm. The mental is what I worry about for timing throws or high low options that have to come out in rythm and through windows. I think I love the Jordan pick!!!