21. Marshall (7-0)

22. Auburn (5-2)

23. Oklahoma State (5-2)

24. Iowa (3-2)

25. Tulsa (5-1)

What the non-playoff NY6 would look like now:

Orange: Texas A&M VS. Miami
Cotton: Florida VS. Oklahoma
Peach: Georgia VS. Cincinnati (no way the committee passes up an opportunity to have UGA play in Atlanta)
Fiesta: Northwestern VS. Oregon

While Oregon is ranked #15, three spots below Indiana, the Pac-12 has a guaranteed bid to a New Year's Six game.

Here's how the CFP and NY6 would look now with my 8-team Mason-Dixon bracket:

Bowden Semifinals: Florida at Alabama, Texas A&M at Clemson
Osborne Semifinals: Northwestern at Notre Dame, Cincinnati at Ohio State

Orange: Miami VS. Georgia
Cotton: Wisconsin VS. Oklahoma
Peach: Indiana VS. Iowa State
Fiesta: BYU VS. Oregon

Every team is in the top 16 of the CFP rankings.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 7:35 PM, candyman93 said:

Clemson at 3 ahead of OSU

lol okay

Ehh. I don't agree with it but I get it. OSU's defense has been poor. Clemson's only loss is to the #2 team without their star starting QB. And they've looked really good with Lawrence back there including throttling the committee's #10 team. Ultimately it will work itself out with Clemson-ND meeting again.

10 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Ehh. I don't agree with it but I get it. OSU's defense has been poor. Clemson's only loss is to the #2 team without their star starting QB. And they've looked really good with Lawrence back there including throttling the committee's #10 team. Ultimately it will work itself out with Clemson-ND meeting again.

Yeah I think it would’ve probably been different if there weren’t chinks in the armor with as bad as the Ohio State defense has played. At the same time, I did think it was interesting considering Clemson has had a relatively close contest against a Boston college and has a loss on the resume along with pretty meh defense on the year. All in all I didn’t necessarily agree with it considering the loss but didn’t think it was egregious either. Committee does what they want for the final rankings anyhow. 

13 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Ultimately it will work itself out with Clemson-ND meeting again.

I agree with you on this.

However, they’re rewarding Notre Dame for beating a Clemson team without Lawrence, but not really punishing Clemson for losing because they didn’t have Lawrence.

It’s trying to have your cake and eat it too.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

However, they’re rewarding Notre Dame for beating a Clemson team without Lawrence, but not really punishing Clemson for losing because they didn’t have Lawrence.

It’s trying to have your cake and eat it too.

It’s the year to year criteria difference that’s hilarious and inconsistent that bothers me. 2015 OSU is clearly one of the best four teams (Their criteria) but left out because they don’t have the best resume/didn’t win their conference, but finished behind a 2 loss Stanford PAC conference winner, because “conference winning matters”.

Meanwhile a year later, a 2 loss conference winner in OSU finishes behind a 1 loss Bama that didn’t win their own conference, because 2 losses are worse.

It is absolutely the inconsistency that bothers me when “the best team” and “the eye test” argument is used.

TBH, I don’t take an issue with Clemson being over OSU right now, but I do take issue with the selective rationale that’s used each year.

39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s the year to year criteria difference that’s hilarious and inconsistent that bothers me. 2015 OSU is clearly one of the best four teams (Their criteria) but left out because they don’t have the best resume/didn’t win their conference, but finished behind a 2 loss Stanford PAC conference winner, because “conference winning matters”.

Meanwhile a year later, a 2 loss conference winner in OSU finishes behind a 1 loss Bama that didn’t win their own conference, because 2 losses are worse.

It is absolutely the inconsistency that bothers me when “the best team” and “the eye test” argument is used.

TBH, I don’t take an issue with Clemson being over OSU right now, but I do take issue with the selective rationale that’s used each year.

Totally agree. This is the biggest issue, that they make up the rules to get in every year. There should be a set requirement in place. Like it should have been the first thing they did when they announced they were going to a playoff committee. Hell they could have kept the BCS point system and just used their top 4.