2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Assuming Cunningham, Mobley, Green, Suggs, and Kuminga are the first 5 guys off the board, I have a hard time with who the Thunder should go with at #6. 

Most are mocking Scottie Barnes there which would be a solid selection but I think Davion Mitchell or Keon Johnson would make sense as well.

Barnes is a very good playmaker and has some upside but he has a long way to go as a scorer and I think it's more likely that he's a super role player rather than a foundational piece unless he really improves as a scorer. 

Mitchell would fit well with SGA in the backcourt and they'd be pretty much interchangeable at PG/SG. The only issue is that he's a little older as he'll be a 22 year old rookie and I'm not totally convinced that his shooting will translate as well at the next level. I think he has a high floor but I go back and forth with his ceiling. 

Then there's Keon Johnson, he's extremely raw offensively, but man he has all of the potential in the world. The Thunder are in a position where they can be patient with him and if they take him here he might be a perennial all-star. 

The Cavaliers get to dump Kevin Love's terrible contract and add 3 young interesting prospects into their rotation in Hampton, Carter, and Okeke. If Harris can stay healthy he could be the long-term solution at the 2 guard spot next to Garland but if he can't they can move on from him after this season. I'm assuming in this scenario the Cavaliers would go with Scottie Barnes at #5 to add a play making 4 to pair with Mobley and then take a swing on the upside of Keon Johnson at #8.

The Magic take on Love's deal but get a quality starting guard in Sexton to pair with Fultz. Moving up to #3 would also allow them to land Evan Mobley. 

Assuming the Magic's lineup would be: 

Fultz - Sexton - Ross - Isaac - Mobley 

1 hour ago, FinneasGage said:

i don't think anyone watches the magic. if rj hampton and chuma okeke entered the draft right now... fresh off this season... where do you think they get picked? 

Hampton would for sure be a top 10 pick.  Not sure about Chuma Okeke. My guess would be mid 1st like how he was picked in 2019. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

where at?  i only seen cbs's mock that had him going to Houston.

In his mind.  He's still in the belief that Westbrook-to-the-Lakers has legs despite the only "source" that is out there is YardBarker.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If you're going to draft Mobley I think you try to move Allen and Sexton on draft night to add more young pieces to your core that fit around Garland, Okoro, and Mobley. 

Same. I think they can play together, but it will be a long process, and I feel Mobley would be best suited adding weight and playing C long-term because it takes the best advantage of his skillset. He may or may not have that stretch 4 part of his game added yet. It could be ugly short-term, but I do think we could play both or stagger their minutes if need be. Allen is a rim-running, low post defender, and it seems like Mobley can fare well on the perimeter. He moves his hips and feet like lightning. He's gonna be disruptive wherever he is. 

Plus, the reports are that we want to accelerate our rebuild. It just isn't gonna involve the 3rd pick, lol. We're gonna see an interesting offseason out of Cleveland. 

1 hour ago, carl_sjunior said:

Same. I think they can play together, but it will be a long process, and I feel Mobley would be best suited adding weight and playing C long-term because it takes the best advantage of his skillset. He may or may not have that stretch 4 part of his game added yet. It could be ugly short-term, but I do think we could play both or stagger their minutes if need be. Allen is a rim-running, low post defender, and it seems like Mobley can fare well on the perimeter. He moves his hips and feet like lightning. He's gonna be disruptive wherever he is. 

Plus, the reports are that we want to accelerate our rebuild. It just isn't gonna involve the 3rd pick, lol. We're gonna see an interesting offseason out of Cleveland. 

That blows my mind.  Moving into the top 3 100% accelerates the rebuild and is exactly what they should have wanted.  Mobley or Green would give them a star again to build around.  Maybe they get a decent piece for the #3 pick but there aren't usually three or four prospects in a draft with the ceilings of these guys. 

49 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That blows my mind.  Moving into the top 3 100% accelerates the rebuild and is exactly what they should have wanted.  Mobley or Green would give them a star again to build around.  Maybe they get a decent piece for the #3 pick but there aren't usually three or four prospects in a draft with the ceilings of these guys. 

The reports of us having our pick on the block was was pre-lottery. Altman himself said after that having a pick that high 'changes the direction of the franchise' and then he hinted that any shuffling of the roster would include our young players and future picks. 

I would be stunned if we didn't pick at 3. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

In his mind.  He's still in the belief that Westbrook-to-the-Lakers has legs despite the only "source" that is out there is YardBarker.

The Houston Chronicle is Yard Baker now? Okay, wowzers.