Make A Movie Game: The First Movies

MacReady

Picchu's Orb:  2 Red Stars.

-Feels like a bad emulation of an Indiana Jones movie or something.  Ooo orby.  Orb is MacGuffin that does plot or whatever.  Shut up and just focus on the orb.  Special effects better be on point for the orb graphics to pull that off.  Casting is kinda...off, and uninteresting.  If three primary cast are going to carry a movie film, you'd darn well get it right, especially if the plot is, "so you see, there's an orb, and it does stuff".

El Templo Suicida:  4 Red Stars.

-Best premise of the bunch i think.  Time loop stuff always gets caught up in errors, and this would be no different.  But i kinda like the curveball of future past modification, and the concept of some **** going full Elon and trying to destroy everyone but his past future self to ensure he remains obscenely wealthy.  Casting director deserves fired though, again.  Appreciate the effort in trying to give some visual there, and match cast in two different age ranges reasonably well.  But man, it's just not a cast that i'd be excited about in those roles.  With the "older versions" at least.  Doesn't really fit for me.

The Fountain of Youth: 6 Red Stars.

-Best approach to this, by far.  If you're making a slapdash movie like this...go campy.  This reads to me like a full on 2000-2010 nonsense horror movies like House of Wax, or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, Ready or Not, Joy Ride, Wrong Turn 1 through however many they made, Shark Night, or My Bloody Valentine, or any of those numerous other movies that basically made no sense and went nowhere...but relied on campy humor/horror blend, over the top gore, and gratuitous sexualization in as PG a way as possible.  This cast seems like it might actually mostly be able to pull off that level of campy horror humor + eye candy combo, enough to make a movie in that mold.  Though some of them are a big overreach, like Hemsworth and Gyllenhaal.  More "realistic" casting for the film type would've been a lot better.  But just lots of sexy people running around fleeing a horror, is a proven formula, when a serious plot isn't on the menu.  And that end "twist" is just classic, "almost escaped, but nah".

Frozen Temple Hell: 0 Red Stars.

-I honestly didn't even read more than a quarter way into this pitch.  Forgoing "casting" is one thing, but that pitch didn't even seem to have any character descriptions whatsoever beyond assigning the odd gender pronoun, and i have no way of getting into the human imagery of a story without some sort of frame of reference.  Be that a listed and visually represented cast, or even just a specific casting call sort of description, or something.

Honestly, i feel like the producers owe me at least one Star for reading as far as i did into it.

Edited by Tugboat

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  Some brutal scores.  For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t have given any of them under a 5/10.  One of them I wouldn’t have been a fan of, but I still think it was a 6/10 synopsis.

I mean, y'all wanted me in on scoring. I'm going to be rough. And if it sounds too much like something I've played in a video game, I'm not gonna give it a high score at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

I mean, y'all wanted me in on scoring. I'm going to be rough. And if it sounds too much like something I've played in a video game, I'm not gonna give it a high score at all.

This is gamer prejudice and I take offense. 

@Deadpulse, @Malfatron, @Pickle Rick, @The Orca, @MikeT14, @rackcs, everyone...

What do you think about just opening this up to anyone who wants to take part for each project and keeping a running score?

I could add poll options to each voting phase for the next writing prompt.

Also, for the next one, I am going to randomly select an existing franchise to do.  Predator, Terminator, Aliens or a different one.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Picchu's Orb:  2 Red Stars.

-Feels like a bad emulation of an Indiana Jones movie or something.  Ooo orby.  Orb is MacGuffin that does plot or whatever.  Shut up and just focus on the orb.  Special effects better be on point for the orb graphics to pull that off.  Casting is kinda...off, and uninteresting.  If three primary cast are going to carry a movie film, you'd darn well get it right, especially if the plot is, "so you see, there's an orb, and it does stuff".

El Templo Suicida:  4 Red Stars.

-Best premise of the bunch i think.  Time loop stuff always gets caught up in errors, and this would be no different.  But i kinda like the curveball of future past modification, and the concept of some **** going full Elon and trying to destroy everyone but his past future self to ensure he remains obscenely wealthy.  Casting director deserves fired though, again.  Appreciate the effort in trying to give some visual there, and match cast in two different age ranges reasonably well.  But man, it's just not a cast that i'd be excited about in those roles.  With the "older versions" at least.  Doesn't really fit for me.

The Fountain of Youth: 6 Red Stars.

-Best approach to this, by far.  If you're making a slapdash movie like this...go campy.  This reads to me like a full on 2000-2010 nonsense horror movies like House of Wax, or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, Ready or Not, Joy Ride, Wrong Turn 1 through however many they made, Shark Night, or My Bloody Valentine, or any of those numerous other movies that basically made no sense and went nowhere...but relied on campy humor/horror blend, over the top gore, and gratuitous sexualization in as PG a way as possible.  This cast seems like it might actually mostly be able to pull off that level of campy horror humor + eye candy combo, enough to make a movie in that mold.  Though some of them are a big overreach, like Hemsworth and Gyllenhaal.  More "realistic" casting for the film type would've been a lot better.  But just lots of sexy people running around fleeing a horror, is a proven formula, when a serious plot isn't on the menu.  And that end "twist" is just classic, "almost escaped, but nah".

Frozen Temple Hell: 0 Red Stars.

-I honestly didn't even read more than a quarter way into this pitch.  Forgoing "casting" is one thing, but that pitch didn't even seem to have any character descriptions whatsoever beyond assigning the odd gender pronoun, and i have no way of getting into the human imagery of a story without some sort of frame of reference.  Be that a listed and visually represented cast, or even just a specific casting call sort of description, or something.

Honestly, i feel like the producers owe me at least one Star for reading as far as i did into it.

unfortunately, this was out of 100 possible stars

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I think I’ll just run this for a while and let anyone who wants to partake partake.  Keep a running tally of the ratings.

Then maybe let someone else take over the host role for a while.

I might start adding some of my own ideas.

For this one I would have done a science horror type with apes using tools and such being discovered in some isolated place near a temple and it would be weird WTF **** starts to happen, everyone thinks they’re the missing link, all excited and then more WTF **** happens and it would be The Ruins like where it’s parasites infecting the apes in an isolated place the parasites can’t get out of and they start infecting the people studying the apes.  Maybe with a cosmic god angle.

This would have been cooler than the rest of these ideas.

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@Deadpulse, @Malfatron, @Pickle Rick, @The Orca, @MikeT14, @rackcs, everyone...

What do you think about just opening this up to anyone who wants to take part for each project and keeping a running score?

I could add poll options to each voting phase for the next writing prompt.

Also, for the next one, I am going to randomly select an existing franchise to do.  Predator, Terminator, Aliens or a different one.

Im down for whatever

Picchu's Orb

4/10- orb idea was cool but story was pretty bland

El Templo Suicida

6/10 - seems like to much going on with the time loops but if executed well could be a good movie

The Fountain of Youth

6/10 - like the story besides the natives

Frozen Temple Hell

7/10 - could be a fun movie kind of like 13 ghosts 

36 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, please don’t get discouraged by low scores.  Remember you were restricted in the story you could tell and this is meant to be fun.  Take criticism as motivation.  I think you all did a fine job.

If anyone has ever taken a writing class... well this is nothing lol

• Like 2

Oh, are we putting ratings in thread? I PMed mine.

Picchu’s Orb: I gave it a two. There’s stuff to work with, but that’s only about half a plot. It needs a middle act, and I’d be willing to bet this person either procrastinated the writing or rushed it to get it in.

El Templo Suicida: Shouldn’t it be Suicido? I gave it a 7. Interesting premise, fleshed out pretty well, could be a decent thriller.

The Fountain of Youth: Gave it a 6. Nothing special or particularly interesting, but could be a good horror flick with a different enough setting to be not played out.

Frozen Temple Hell: Gave it a 5. Less fleshed out in overall plot than the other two, too much focus on minutia and not enough on the overall plot arcs.

Edited by Daniel