Prospects to keep an eye on..spring edition

indifference

39 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

That word "unlikely", I do wonder what GMs will do.  Will medical not be as much of a concern because Fields being a QB?  

I think the biggest thing hurting Fields is that he's got a label from scouting reports/lip service among the draft analysts that he can't read defenses and can only get through 1 progression. 

Speaking with The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, an anonymous NFL QB coach said that Alabama QB Mac Jones was "substantially better in the interviews" than any other quarterback. And this coach isn't just a fan of Mac Jones' gray matter. He waxed poetic at length regarding the Bama gunslinger, telling Feldman, "Mac is processing. He’s accurate. He’s layering it. He has pinpoint accuracy and throws with anticipation." The coach also noted one distinction between Jones and BYUI's Zach Wilson: While he called Wilson's arm talent "freaky," that freakiness fails to come with the same awesome accuracy of Jones.

Interesting...I may start buying into this Mac Jones inside the top 6 picks hype...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think the biggest thing hurting Fields is that he's got a label from scouting reports/lip service among the draft analysts that he can't read defenses and can only get through 1 progression. 

The only prospect with another unique medical concern was Jay Cutler from Vandy with diabetes.  

Been a loonnnmg time since the Big 10 produced a Qb who did anything in the pros.  

9 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

The only prospect with another unique medical concern was Jay Cutler from Vandy with diabetes.  

Been a loonnnmg time since the Big 10 produced a Qb who did anything in the pros.  

I think the last one is Kirk Cousins which was 2012. Damn near a decade later.

I think Fields is different from most Big Ten QBs though since technically he signed with UGA then transferred. That conference usually never land the big time QB recruits like that. Its SEC country / Big 12 country. Can you blame these kids? Not many QBs wanna play in a heavy run offense with limited skill position talent.

10 minutes ago, indifference said:

I think the last one is Kirk Cousins which was 2012. Damn near a decade later.

I think Fields is different from most Big Ten QBs though since technically he signed with UGA then transferred. That conference usually never land the big time QB recruits like that. Its SEC country / Big 12 country. Can you blame these kids? Not many QBs wanna play in a heavy run offense with limited skill position talent.

Fields could certainly work out. High school football in the Northeast still produces a bunch of D1 talent.  There s only so many starting Qb positions open at a major program.  

I just remember now that Russell Wilson played his last yr at Wisconsin.  Nothing like shooting a hole in my own argument.  😀