Week 6 GDT: Tennessee Titans (2-3) vs Indianapolis Colts (2-3)

titansNvolsR#1

Who Gone Win?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who Gone Win?

• Titans by 2 TDs
    • Colts by 2 TDs
    • Titans by 1 score
    • Colts by 1 score

4 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Don't have the Browns thread up so will just throw it here:

As we all guessed, Davis won't be back til after bye.

That's for the best. No sense to rush him back right before the bye. Hopefully he'll be at a point where he can get a good, full week of practice in before he gets back on the field.

For whatever that's worth. Made their team of the week too:

Quarterback – Marcus Mariota, Tennessee Titans

PFF Grade: 88.5

Elite Stat: Marcus Mariota’s adjusted completion percentage was 77.4 percent on Monday night.

In what wasn’t a vintage week for quarterback performances, Marcus Mariota’s performance while far from 100 percent in his return from a hamstring injury on Monday night was impressive, and ultimately helped lead his team back from behind to take the spoils of victory. Mariota had a perfect passer rating of 158.3 while under pressure, and did that despite not being able to take off and use his athleticism in the way he ordinarily would.

So they moved him up to an 88.5 after reviewing the all-22. He was at 79.4 immediately after the game.

He's now up to their 10th ranked QB on the season as well:

17 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Yup. Just only further reinforced the fact that the national guys simply don't watch Titans games.

I caught this, even Hasselbeck was saying it. This isn't just national media, it's the nation as a whole, outside of actual Titans fans.

Mariota rarely scrambles, and it is almost always when he is forced to or someone isn't open. It just plain pissed me off listening to Gruden pretend to know anything about him. He's always been a pocket passer. These runs that he has that the media sees and thinks "Oh, he's a scrambling QB!" are designed runs. Called run plays in which he's making a read and keeping the ball.

Bucs fans were talking about how Mariota would fail after year 1 because all he can do is run the ball and he can't be a pocket passes, but failed to realize Jameis Winston had more rushing attempts than Mariota in his rookie season... 

The nation is just incredibly uneducated, and Gruden only furthered that lack of education on national TV.

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I caught this, even Hasselbeck was saying it. This isn't just national media, it's the nation as a whole, outside of actual Titans fans.

Mariota rarely scrambles, and it is almost always when he is forced to or someone isn't open. It just plain pissed me off listening to Gruden pretend to know anything about him. He's always been a pocket passer. These runs that he has that the media sees and thinks "Oh, he's a scrambling QB!" are designed runs. Called run plays in which he's making a read and keeping the ball.

Bucs fans were talking about how Mariota would fail after year 1 because all he can do is run the ball and he can't be a pocket passes, but failed to realize Jameis Winston had more rushing attempts than Mariota in his rookie season... 

The nation is just incredibly uneducated, and Gruden only furthered that lack of education on national TV.

yeah, and the crazy thing is that's how it was at oregon as well. i remember i found the stat at one point and can't remember the exact number, but the *overwhelming* majority of his rushing yardage at oregon came on designed runs. i think he had less than 200 yards off of scrambles his last season at oregon.

15 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I don't remember what it was that Gruden said, but I wouldn't necessarily put it on the lack of education regarding the team, and more on the fact that this is how most, if not all, athletic QBs are viewed. I like the "dual threat" term better, but in reality "scrambling QB" is what you hear more often than not. Even though it doesn't accurately reflect how often a QB actually scrambles, but rather it simply implies that when the quarterback in question has the ability to become very dangerous as a runner. And that applies to Mariota plenty, when he's 100% good to go.

31 minutes ago, -Hope- said:
39 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

yeah, and the crazy thing is that's how it was at oregon as well. i remember i found the stat at one point and can't remember the exact number, but the *overwhelming* majority of his rushing yardage at oregon came on designed runs. i think he had less than 200 yards off of scrambles his last season at oregon.

Yup, it's how it has always been with Marcus. When he moves out of the pocket, he's constantly keeping his eyes downfield. It's almost rare to see him just take off on a pure scramble because he's consistently trying to create something down field when he's forced to run. The national perception is just so incredibly flawed and it's sad to see it highlighted in primetime like it was last night.

With that said, obviously he had to play quarterback differently last night than he has at any other point in his career. At some point, one of the national guys talked about him trying to be a quarterback with the movement ability of Brady, and that was a huge stretch. You could tell that he was essentially told not to leave his spot after dropping back. Which makes what he did last night all the more impressive. Even the statue QBs (Peyton and Brady as prime examples) still manipulate the pocket and step up and around to create time, the long touchdown to Taywan was the one of the very few times that Marcus made any sort of move in the pocket to buy an extra second. For the most part, he had to read the field all from one spot in the pocket.

On a sidenote: The above is also what impressed me so much about the offensive line's performance last night. It's one thing to allow a few hits and no sacks on an average day. It's a whole other accomplishment when you're doing it with a quarterback that is virtually a stationary target all night.

I was watching the game with my wife and she was surprised when Gruden mentioned that Marcus was 30th in football in completion percentage. I said something along the lines of it being a stupid stat to be using when he's played 3 1/2 games at that point. Sure enough, after one game, he's now in 15th in completion percentage.

I can't say enough, how impressive that game from Marcus was.  Rewatching it, I just didn't appreciate what he was doing all game.  True enough we were doing max protect a lot and didn't have many people out in routes, but he was finding guys. And the WRs were getting open.

It was awesome.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I can't say enough, how impressive that game from Marcus was.  Rewatching it, I just didn't appreciate what he was doing all game.  True enough we were doing max protect a lot and didn't have many people out in routes, but he was finding guys. And the WRs were getting open.

It was awesome.

yeah, all told i'd count this as one of the more impressive performances of his career. the stats aren't incredible, but within context he played a hell of a game.

10 hours ago, KingTitan said:

It was awesome.

I said after the game that given the circumstances (not 100%, "must win" divisional game, Primetime game), you could easily make a case for this being his best game as a professional.

Archived