My 5 Takeaways From Jets vs Seahawks

rdelaney89

1 hour ago, kilahchris said:

The more and more I watch Darnold the more and more I am reminded of David Carr (not Derek) the same inconsistencies and high turnover numbers. His style reminds me of David Carr but with a slightly weaker arm

Another promising QB destroyed by a poor OL. 

9 hours ago, drew39k said:

Passing on Marino and drafting Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp both immediately standout.

For all you people that think Dan Marino was the worst Jet mistake by not drafting him you are all second guessing. Marino was passed up by TWENTY SIX NFL teams before he was taken. He was not rated that high in the draft in 1983. As far as Sapp goes he grew up in my town Apopka Fl. he should have  been a top three pick but was a real head case and dropped out of the top ten. To this day he is a disaster, he  is broke lost his job at the NFL network. and his house. What makes the Darnold pick so bad is we gave up three second round picks to move up three lousy spots in the draft  NOW I AM GOING TO SECOND GUESS YOU PEOPOLE WHY DIDN'T YOU STAY AT SIX AND TAKE JOSH ALLEN AND KEEP OUR THREE SECOND ROUND PICKS? When we all knew that Allen is much better than Darnold? 

We Actually sent three second round picks to the Colts Two in the 2018 draft and one in the 2019draft. We gave all of that up just to move up three spots to get Darnold.  And you tell me that wasn't a huge mistake.

Edited by doumeyer

6 hours ago, doumeyer said:

For all you people that think Dan Marino was the worst Jet mistake by not drafting him you are all second guessing. Marino was passed up by TWENTY SIX NFL teams before he was taken. He was not rated that high in the draft in 1983. As far as Sapp goes he grew up in my town Apopka Fl. he should have  been a top three pick but was a real head case and dropped out of the top ten. To this day he is a disaster, he  is broke lost his job at the NFL network. and his house. What makes the Darnold pick so bad is we gave up three second round picks to move up three lousy spots in the draft  NOW I AM GOING TO SECOND GUESS YOU PEOPOLE WHY DIDN'T YOU STAY AT SIX AND TAKE JOSH ALLEN AND KEEP OUR THREE SECOND ROUND PICKS? When we all knew that Allen is much better than Darnold? 

We Actually sent three second round picks to the Colts Two in the 2018 draft and one in the 2019draft. We gave all of that up just to move up three spots to get Darnold.  And you tell me that wasn't a huge mistake.

No, it wasn't a huge mistake. We traded 3 seconds to move up to get what many thought would be a franchise QB in a QB rich draft. When it comes to QBs you have to take a shot and until one sticks you keep taking a shot. It's not like we took a kicker in the first round. 

Edited by mattmanz91
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

No, it wasn't a huge mistake. We traded 3 seconds to move up to get what many thought would be a franchise QB in a QB rich draft. When it comes to QBs you have to take a shot and until one sticks you keep taking a shot. It's not like we took a kicker in the first round. 

When you give away three second round picks to move up only three spots you better be 100% sure that player you pick is a sure bet. And Darnold was far from a sure bet. You can go back to all my post on Darnold since the draft and I said the same thing after watching many of his games at SC, he is making the same mistakes with the Jets that he made with SO CAL. After we drafted him I though he would be another Eli Manning, same size, same demeanor but it never worked out, thanks to Macc's horrible drafting. Right now this 23 year old kid is broken. We will never know if we drafted any of the other QB's in the 2018 draft  how they would  done as a Jet.

Edited by doumeyer

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

When you give away three second round picks to move up only three spots you better be 100% sure that player you pick is a sure bet. And Darnold was far from a sure bet. You can go back to all my post on Darnold since the draft and I said the same thing after watching many of his games at SC, he is making the same mistakes with the Jets that he made with SO CAL. After we drafted him I though he would be another Eli Manning, same size, same demeanor but it never worked out, thanks to Macc's horrible drafting. Right now this 23 year old kid is broken. We will never know if we drafted any of the other QB's in the 2018 draft  how they would  done as a Jet.

But you have to take that shot and at the time 3 seconds was lauded as a great deal because of how rich of a QB draft it was. I'm not happy that Darnold didn't work out but if he was playing great right now and we were 10-3 we'd be posting about how amazing it was that we only have up 3 seconds for Darnold. However, as the saying goes, hindsight is 20-20.

My top four players for that draft were (in order): Mayfield; Barkley; Nelson and Jackson. I really wanted one of those guys, but we had no shot at the first two. I think we should have either traded down or grabbed Nelson. Heck, we might have been able to grab both Nelson and Lamar in that draft.

Anyway, Allen sounded a bit too much of a gamble for my liking with that pick, while the two Cali quarterbacks were the two I wanted to stay away from. Looks like both are headed towards practice squad/third-stringer status in 2021. Can't say I am totally surprised. But I did have a bit more hope for Darnold, but mostly it was other people's opinions of him that gave me that hope. The eye test never showed me anything.

I mean, Darnold's best game as a Jet was what, his very first game in Detroit?

We got the most talented QB in that draft. We just failed him. CLE and BUF helped their young QB right away. We still haven’t. Or just started this year. The career trajectory isn’t a sign of talent. There’s countless other factors involved in it. Coaching, scheme, weapons, protection, run game, etc. That all play into grooming a QB.

All we can do as an organization is learn from it. Draft TLaw and get him the right coaches, give him talent around him and protect him. It’s not hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We got the most talented QB in that draft. We just failed him. CLE and BUF helped their young QB right away. We still haven’t. Or just started this year. The career trajectory isn’t a sign of talent. There’s countless other factors involved in it. Coaching, scheme, weapons, protection, run game, etc. That all play into grooming a QB.

All we can do as an organization is learn from it. Draft TLaw and get him the right coaches, give him talent around him and protect him. It’s not hard.

There is only one person that we could blame for the mess we are in and that is our former GM. I said it many times but it is true he set the Jets franchise back five years. A lot of the blame has to go to the Trust Fund kids, for sticking with Macc, to long, and letting him do the 2019 draft when they new they were gong to fire him in a matter of weeks after the draft. One thing you can be sure of is that 25% of the current roster will be gone, in the offseason. I know this hard to believe but with Douglas there are better days ahead for the Jets and their fans.

47 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

There is only one person that we could blame for the mess we are in and that is our former GM. I said it many times but it is true he set the Jets franchise back five years. A lot of the blame has to go to the Trust Fund kids, for sticking with Macc, to long, and letting him do the 2019 draft when they new they were gong to fire him in a matter of weeks after the draft. One thing you can be sure of is that 25% of the current roster will be gone, in the offseason. I know this hard to believe but with Douglas there are better days ahead for the Jets and their fans.

And for hiring Gase. What absolute morons to see Gase with a losing Miami record and think, "yeah, he's gonna turn us around" all because Peyton Manning says so. If he was such a guru, he wouldn't be posting bottom 10 offenses year and year out with the only exceptions being when the GOAT QB was under center. You need an elite-tier, veteran IQ to run his offense because it's so reliant on pre-snap reads and he refuses to change it up to suit a new, learning QB. The Johnsons are so out of touch, it's insane.

• Like 2

Passing up Deshaun Watson for a safety (who isn't even on the team anymore!) was worse than Dan Marino imo. Deshaun was a 3 year player who had shown improvement every year at a big school that actually played great schools and he beat one of the greatest college football programs ever. 50 year old career journeyman JOSH MCCOWN was our starting QB going into that season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malik said:

Passing up Deshaun Watson for a safety (who isn't even on the team anymore!) was worse than Dan Marino imo. Deshaun was a 3 year player who had shown improvement every year at a big school that actually played great schools and he beat one of the greatest college football programs ever. 50 year old career journeyman JOSH MCCOWN was our starting QB going into that season.

I honestly don't remember being in talks for QB that year after drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd.

I was not a fan of either Mahomes or Watson that time but Jets should absolutely draft either for the Adams' selection.

Yeah, I don't recall about Jets considering to draft qb in 1st but I certainly remember that Jets' staff said to Jamal Adams about why the hell did he visit Jets for pre draft crap.

That came to me that what if Adams was drafted before Jets' OTC.  Would they draft a qb despite of  Hackenberg ? Or no qb at all because next year qb group was better?

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I honestly don't remember being in talks for QB that year after drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd.

They weren't. But Hackenberg couldn't even hang onto practice squad spots and even was terrible in the AAFL. There was an obvious need and no one decent on the roster at the position with a prospect with a great resume. That's more egregious in real time than Dan Marino even if in all likelihood Marino will still be regarded higher than Watson

10 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

And for hiring Gase. What absolute morons to see Gase with a losing Miami record and think, "yeah, he's gonna turn us around" all because Peyton Manning says so. If he was such a guru, he wouldn't be posting bottom 10 offenses year and year out with the only exceptions being when the GOAT QB was under center. You need an elite-tier, veteran IQ to run his offense because it's so reliant on pre-snap reads and he refuses to change it up to suit a new, learning QB. The Johnsons are so out of touch, it's insane.

No argument from me, I agree