Mario Edwards arrested?

beardown3231

You’d have to think the bears already knew about this considering it happened at the hotel.  Unless Mario is running off to another hotel to meet this lady, I’m assuming this occurred at the team hotel.  In which case someone would have heard the disturbance and seen the police/ambulance.  

But it sounds like they’re proceeding with charges, but only a misdemeanor.  Reading the description in the article it sounds like there’s some aggravating factors that would make it a felony.  Not sure how North Carolina does things, but her being pregnant alone would make it aggravated battery here.

I guess we’ll have to see how it plays out.

21 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

The article said there is video. Let’s see the video before we throw him under the bus.  

Well it says that she was going to record him on her phone but it got smacked out of her hands, so there may not be any cell phone video.  But if this fight did end up by the elevator like the article says, then I’m sure there is some video of it somewhere.

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Well it says that she was going to record him on her phone but it got smacked out of her hands, so there may not be any cell phone video.  But if this fight did end up by the elevator like the article says, then I’m sure there is some video of it somewhere.

Just curious CBears but do you know how many of these cases(roughly) make it to court get dropped or upgraded? 

These charges if convicted definitely have the perks of a felony by having rights stripped away for good reason. The Bears might just want to rid themselves of this distraction quickly regardless of how it plays out. 

25 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Just curious CBears but do you know how many of these cases(roughly) make it to court get dropped or upgraded? 

These charges if convicted definitely have the perks of a felony by having rights stripped away for good reason. The Bears might just want to rid themselves of this distraction quickly regardless of how it plays out. 

I don’t have any actual statistics and i can only speak for cook county, but so many domestic cases get dropped due to a lack of victim cooperation after the first or second court date. It’s probably one of the most common arrests made, and in many cases we are required to make that arrest if there’s evidence of a domestic battery and we can determine the aggressor.  In those cases you can all but guarantee the case will be dismissed in a week or so since the victim isnt going to cooperate in the first place.

When you do have a victim cooperating initially, lots of times they’ll change their minds after a few weeks and not show up to court to testify against their SO.  Is frustrating seeing those relationships because you’ll have the boyfriend beat the crap out of the girlfriend one night, get arrested, charges dropped in court, and then you’re back at that same house a few nights later for the same thing.  Rinse and repeat.

Then in cases where you do have a fully cooperative victim, you still have that burden of proof to satisfy.  And domestics are generally he said/she said with no independent witnesses so that makes convictions pretty difficult except for the truly egregious cases.

@dll2000 might be able to give a different perspective from the defense side of things as well as from a different (and seemingly more competent...) county of illinois.

As for Mario and the Bears, it’s not like he’s a make or break type player so yeah i wouldnt be surprised at all to see them wash their hands of this regardless of the outcome.

3 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I don’t have any actual statistics and i can only speak for cook county, but so many domestic cases get dropped due to a lack of victim cooperation after the first or second court date. It’s probably one of the most common arrests made, and in many cases we are required to make that arrest if there’s evidence of a domestic battery and we can determine the aggressor.  In those cases you can all but guarantee the case will be dismissed in a week or so since the victim isnt going to cooperate in the first place.

When you do have a victim cooperating initially, lots of times they’ll change their minds after a few weeks and not show up to court to testify against their SO.  Is frustrating seeing those relationships because you’ll have the boyfriend beat the crap out of the girlfriend one night, get arrested, charges dropped in court, and then you’re back at that same house a few nights later for the same thing.  Rinse and repeat.

Then in cases where you do have a fully cooperative victim, you still have that burden of proof to satisfy.  And domestics are generally he said/she said with no independent witnesses so that makes convictions pretty difficult except for the truly egregious cases.

@dll2000 might be able to give a different perspective from the defense side of things as well as from a different (and seemingly more competent...) county of illinois.

As for Mario and the Bears, it’s not like he’s a make or break type player so yeah i wouldnt be surprised at all to see them wash their hands of this regardless of the outcome.

I only did traffic related criminal and some theft and misdemeanor battery.   I purposely stayed away from all family law and serious criminal matters because it depresses me.  

But I can tell you every county is its own world in how they handle things and they are all different from one other from procedure to penalties.  I don't go to court anymore (new job), but when I saw an out of county attorney come in I can immediately tell because they look like lost children.   So I help them and I hope I get help when I have to go to a different county.   

Cook is 100% different than every other county in IL because of volume being so much greater.   Things that would get jail time in McHenry or Boone get dismissed or amended to small fine only in Cook.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

Interesting potential side component to this....

Wouldn't bringing some THOT to the team hotel while traveling on the road be a problem with team quarantine/covid policies either by the Bears themselves or by the league at large?

By rule it should, yes.  But it's Goodell and the league so who knows.....

19 hours ago, CBears019 said:

^^^
so a PSA to all of you, IF you are going to commit a crime, DO IT IN COOK COUNTY.

but don’t commit crimes.  But if you do, see above.

Of course if you are sitting in jail in Cook you are in real danger (I hear) whereas most other places not really the case.

26th and CA is not a place you want to find yourself often.  I was there once (as a law student, not a criminal).   Never want to go back.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Of course if you are sitting in jail in Cook you are in real danger (I hear) whereas most other places not really the case.

26th and CA is not a place you want to find yourself often.  I was there once (as a law student, not a criminal).   Never want to go back.

I’m there all the time for grand jury.  I hate it.  Granted I’m in the court building and not the jail, but still...

• Like 1