2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

I think if anything this helps Smith's case to be taken high. With how athletic TE's are getting and WR's getting bigger, guys like David and Smith are at a premium.If a smaller guy who struggled at the point of attack like Darron Lee or Ryan Shazier can go high, Smith (who doesn't struggle physically) will be a high pick.

Maybe, but off ball LBs, particularly non-MIKEs, aren't valued highly by the NFL right now. So with Evans and Jefferson, guys who are probably MIKEs, Smith could slide even though he's the better player IMO

41 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I havent studied any of this class's LBs yet - I will, but right now, NFL seasons still in swing so no time and why bother as of yet?

But I am sure some of you have so some questions for those who have.

Are there any PLAYMAKER linebackers out there? This team has tried several times to get one and just missed out (Shazier, Thompson, Barr, even in drafting Smith). Im not talking about the runner chasing hole plugging types, but the ones with the ability to make a play on the ball in coverage and rush effectively as well as tackle a runner?

Of those guys able to make a play for the ball, if any, which of them have the range to play the deep and mid zones in this defensive coverage style?

And finally, are they more slated to your opinion of top 10 Luke Kuechly status or more early 20s Shazier status?

Maybe Skai Moore, but he has a bunch of question marks elsewhere. 14 career INTs though. Mid-round prospect.

3 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I havent studied any of this class's LBs yet - I will, but right now, NFL seasons still in swing so no time and why bother as of yet?

But I am sure some of you have so some questions for those who have.

Are there any PLAYMAKER linebackers out there? This team has tried several times to get one and just missed out (Shazier, Thompson, Barr, even in drafting Smith). Im not talking about the runner chasing hole plugging types, but the ones with the ability to make a play on the ball in coverage and rush effectively as well as tackle a runner?

Of those guys able to make a play for the ball, if any, which of them have the range to play the deep and mid zones in this defensive coverage style?

And finally, are they more slated to your opinion of top 10 Luke Kuechly status or more early 20s Shazier status?

Check out Roquan Smith.

I would rate Roquan Smith #1

Rashaan Evans#2

Tremaine Edmunds #3

Micah Kiser #4 

Josey Jewell #5

I would love to land any of these 5 guys, it could really inject some energy to this defense all have a high football IQ and have a nose for the ball, and can all tackle yes I mean tackle.

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

Check out Roquan Smith.

everything i keep reading on him, ive not watched him but everything I read, has him described more like an on the ball attacker, playing and making plays close to the line. This team needs help with that, as Hitch is good but an upgrade never hurts,but scheme wise an off ball mid field hawk fits better. 

This scheme has been notorious for success of explosive range linebackers who can come in off the edge, hunt a ball in the air and cover the middle, while also giving you something vs the run.

We do have that in Lee, but age and injury is accumulating too fast. And Jaylon has improved a bit from early this season, but Ive yet to see him as able to fill Lees role. I think someone who can be plugged in at Will or Mike as needed, with that rangey cover ability and penetration speed (like we tried to get with Shazier or Thompson or Barr) is still a big need for this D.

Most recent mock, with Vrabel as our new head coach:

Arden Key DE, LSU (1st Round, 12th Overall Pick)
Anthony Miller WR, Memphis (2nd Round, 43rd Overall Pick)
Lowell Lotulelei DT, Utah (3rd Round, 74th Overall Pick)
Akrum Wadley RB, Iowa (4th Round, 111th Overall Pick)
Hayden Hurst TE, South Carolina (4th Round, 136th Overall Pick)
Darius Phillips CB, Western Michigan (5th Round, 173rd Overall Pick)
Bentley Spain OT, North Carolina (5th Round, 176th Overall Pick)
Kenny Young OLB, UCLA (6th Round, 191st Overall Pick)
Austin Allen QB, Arkansas (6th Round, 213th Overall Pick)
B.J. Hill DT, N.C. State (7th Round, 234th Overall Pick)

24 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'm not a fan of Lotulelei - hasn't looked as good as he did as a sophomore. Would be ecstatic with Hurst in the 4th. He's my number 3 TE despite his age.

In the 3rd, so long as he can be a decent 2-down player - I'd be content. 

4 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'm not a fan of Lotulelei - hasn't looked as good as he did as a sophomore. Would be ecstatic with Hurst in the 4th. He's my number 3 TE despite his age.

Or if you want, throw in Josh Frazier.

Even though Dallas just won in a blowout nothing has changed my mind from leading the charge that Dallas needs to find a big-time receiver whether through the draft or free agency. The one way to stop Dallas would be to stop their running game and the one way to do that is to bring extra players up against the running back. we need a big-time wide receiver to stop teams from doing that Dez Bryant might be a very good second receiver but get a top talent receiver in there please

I think we need a certain type of receiver, which is why I'm all aboard the Anthony Miller train. I think he'd be a better fit than a Courtland Sutton for example. Miller does things that remind me of Odell Beckham to be honest (no, I'm not saying he will be as successful as Odell).

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Dez has not been Dez as we remember him in a while, but he is better than a second guy. Im on board with a receiver as a big need but...come on give the guy mkre credit than that.

This isn't a "Dis" on Dez,  but rather just pointing out that Dez isn't getting younger. Clearly doesn't warrant his current high salary. And sooner or later will have to be replaced. In the meantime,getting another"stud/big-time WR not only will open up everything on offense for everyone, but potentially extend Dez's career as well. Also allows Dallas some leverage in potential contract re-negotiations.

6 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I think we need a certain type of receiver, which is why I'm all aboard the Anthony Miller train. I think he'd be a better fit than a Courtland Sutton for example. Miller does things that remind me of Odell Beckham to be honest (no, I'm not saying he will be as successful as Odell).

I think Miller is good, like him as a prospect, but I see more Randal Cobb (when he’s good) in his game than OBJ. The guy who reminds me most of OBJ in this draft is Antonio Callaway. He’s electric with the ball in his hands, but from what I heard he’s a dimwit off the field.

27 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

I think Miller is good, like him as a prospect, but I see more Randal Cobb (when he’s good) in his game than OBJ. The guy who reminds me most of OBJ in this draft is Antonio Callaway. He’s electric with the ball in his hands, but from what I heard he’s a dimwit off the field.

I would LOVE it if the Cowboys drafted Antonio Callaway...

in the 5th round

Archived