2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

On 11/5/2017 at 9:25 AM, Desperado82 said:

How would you guys feel if our draft panned out like this?

Rashaan Evans OLB, Alabama (1st Round)
James Washington WR, Oklahoma State (2nd Round)
Kendrick Norton DT, Miami (3rd Round)
Rashaad Penny RB, San Diego State (4th Round)
Hayden Hurst TE, South Carolina (4th Round, comp)
Brandon Facyson CB, Virginia Tech (5th Round, comp)
Andrew Brown DE, Virginia (5th Round, comp)
Nate Gaines SS, UT-San Antonio (6th Round)
Chris Lindstrom OG, Boston College (6th Round, comp)
Richard Lagow QB, Indiana (7th Round)

Would be great but I don't see Washington falling to pick 50 or so.

However I do agree with you that if we get our defensive guy in the first we should absolutely consider looking for a playmaking WR or TE in round 2.

1 hour ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Would be great but I don't see Washington falling to pick 50 or so.

However I do agree with you that if we get our defensive guy in the first we should absolutely consider looking for a playmaking WR or TE in round 2.

It's still early...who knows where certain players are going to end up come the draft. 

I didn't expect many to like the Evans pick, but I feel given his experience working in a 3-4 system we could use him in sort of a LEO role at Sam while we get what we can out of Lee for another year or two.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

LB, DT, TE, RB, DE, OT

Interesting. I have faith that Rico is the future, so he gets bumped down. So does OL because they are all (or will be soon) under contract. I would literally take any position on defense in the first and be happy. There is no where that we are safe.  After that id probably go WR. But honestly our offense is fine with the starters. Its just depth. 

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Interesting. I have faith that Rico is the future, so he gets bumped down. So does OL because they are all (or will be soon) under contract. I would literally take any position on defense in the first and be happy. There is no where that we are safe.  After that id probably go WR. But honestly our offense is fine with the starters. Its just depth. 

Seems Rico has drawn raves from just about everyone and I like what I've seen as well, but we're putting a ton of stock in faith and hope. As for the OL, I agree it's pretty much set in stone assuming Cooper is resigned. If not, then it's a little dicier. A swing OT is probably a need...I have zero confidence in Green being serviceable or staying healthy. Agree on defense, expecially front 7 and maybe SS. Not too concerned about CB. Agree that WR should have been in mix somewhere.

I think it’s a little optimistic to view Cooper as the “long-term” solution at LG. He got exposed pretty bad at Atlanta without Tyron to his left. I think he’d be better off as the swing interior guy and I doubt our FO gives him a contract that assures him any more than that.

20 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I think it’s a little optimistic to view Cooper as the “long-term” solution at LG. He got exposed pretty bad at Atlanta without Tyron to his left. I think he’d be better off as the swing interior guy and I doubt our FO gives him a contract that assures him any more than that.

If Tyron helps Cooper, and I have no doubt he does, then it's possible Chaz Green hurts/did hurt him. 

I agree ultimately that we shouldn't pencil him in with a fat deal but let's face it... The whole offense got exposed pretty bad without Tyron to their left.

14 hours ago, DaBoys said:

If Tyron helps Cooper, and I have no doubt he does, then it's possible Chaz Green hurts/did hurt him. 

I agree ultimately that we shouldn't pencil him in with a fat deal but let's face it... The whole offense got exposed pretty bad without Tyron to their left.

Fair, but I think Tyron's presence or lack thereof affect's Cooper's in a more direct way than the rest of the offense's, seeing as they play right next to each other. Cooper struggles working off double teams to the 2nd level in the run game, but can do it when he's got Tyron to count on to make reach blocks most OTs could never dream of.

I think, lost in Green's performance, is how much Cooper struggled as well. He may not have given up 5 sacks but he definitely gotten beaten to the spots by Atlanta's speedy linebackers. Considering the logic with him at LG in the first place was that it's not the most difficult job in the NFL playing between Smith and Frederick, it stands to reason that he could be a liability outside that ecosystem. Could be a one game blip, but it's something to watch.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:23 PM, DaBoys said:

Three +s and three -s i see in cooper, as a former OL myself:

Powerful upperbody. If he gets his hands on you cleanly in the run game, its usually a very successful block.

Quick to set up in protection. Isnt very clean in his motions but he gets there fast and is ready on time.

Really good feet in space. Not great, but enough to get to the second level or pull around the back and play isolated on an edge defender. 

Not the most mechanical technique, which gets him caught off balance when he doesnt keep his feet under him and in proper spacing.

Plays with rigid hips. He can adjust and re set his body to compensate for a fast rush or an escaped blitzer, but doesnt get a good rotation at the hips to cover himself too well when beaten. Makes pass protection without a quality execution from the men beside him a chore vs stunt, twist or a hidden dog coming late.

Doesnt seem to always play with full effort; or if he does, he must tire out pretty quickly. There are some plays he doesnt stop fighting until the whistle, but some plays where he seems content just making contact and not putting in that extra effort. 

Overall, Cooper has been pretty solid. He is no Leary, although I think he sets up in protection better than Leary used to. But he is also no slouch, and he can hold his own in this league. Id still like to see an upgrade here particularly with Tyron Smith a question mark going forward - back issues on men his size linger, and are not solved as easily as on a man much slimmer, even with surgery. But if we had to get by with what is more easily available, Im totally cool with Cooper manning that spot.

Archived