2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

By no means do I think the Cowboys' sack ranking this season precludes them from drafting (a) DL(s) early/often next year. There's so many dudes on short term deals, there's not a whole lot of clarity on how things shake out behind Lawrence, Irving, Collins, and Crawford (or if/how those 4 fit together), and the run defense has just been atrocious, which the LBs and safeties are somewhat responsible for, but still falls a lot on the DL, specifically the DTs.

I just think people get too caught up in positional needs which can change so quickly. If we going defense early next year, which we likely will but not necessarily, just give me a badass. I don't care if he's a DT, DE, LB, CB, S, or a LG, WR, TE, whatever. If he's a badass, wins one-on-one matchups, makes plays, and puts his teammates in a position to make plays, you want him on your team. This goes for any player, any position, any modern sport.

I think the expectations for Lee and Smith the next year or two likely preclude us from taking a non-pass rushing LB in the 1st round, especially if we re-sign Hitchens. I would lean DL over DB next year, simply based on my skepticism of how those aforementioned 4 guys fit together and the viability of our depth, but if they think that a stud safety or lockdown corner completes the secondary in a way that takes them from average to front line, and that Taco, Gregory (fingers crossed), a free agent DT, and Mayowa/Tapper shore up the DL, then by all means, take the DB. Again, if they don't feel any of the guys at either of those spots can potentially take the defense to the next level, but an offensive lineman or pass catcher could bump our offense up notch, then take the offensive player. Good football players are good football players and teams cannot get enough of them.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:59 PM, matt79511 said:

By no means do I think the Cowboys' sack ranking this season precludes them from drafting (a) DL(s) early/often next year. There's so many dudes on short term deals, there's not a whole lot of clarity on how things shake out behind Lawrence, Irving, Collins, and Crawford (or if/how those 4 fit together), and the run defense has just been atrocious, which the LBs and safeties are somewhat responsible for, but still falls a lot on the DL, specifically the DTs.

I just think people get too caught up in positional needs which can change so quickly. If we going defense early next year, which we likely will but not necessarily, just give me a badass. I don't care if he's a DT, DE, LB, CB, S, or a LG, WR, TE, whatever. If he's a badass, wins one-on-one matchups, makes plays, and puts his teammates in a position to make plays, you want him on your team. This goes for any player, any position, any modern sport.

I think the expectations for Lee and Smith the next year or two likely preclude us from taking a non-pass rushing LB in the 1st round, especially if we re-sign Hitchens. I would lean DL over DB next year, simply based on my skepticism of how those aforementioned 4 guys fit together and the viability of our depth, but if they think that a stud safety or lockdown corner completes the secondary in a way that takes them from average to front line, and that Taco, Gregory (fingers crossed), a free agent DT, and Mayowa/Tapper shore up the DL, then by all means, take the DB. Again, if they don't feel any of the guys at either of those spots can potentially take the defense to the next level, but an offensive lineman or pass catcher could bump our offense up notch, then take the offensive player. Good football players are good football players and teams cannot get enough of them.

So Lee, at his age and part of his contract (not that he is old, by no youth either), ans Jaylon, arguably our biggest liability at the position thru 8 games, preclude us from drafting a high end linebacker but Lawrence (likely a franchise tag), Irving (likely a mid-term deal), and having spent a first on Taco just 8 months ago, doesnt preclude us from taking multiple DLs early?

This team is in no position to nitpick over what position is safe and what isnt. Short of an early round QB or RB, this team needs the single best player they can get. Wr, DL, DB, Lb, dont matter. It needs more talent. It needs a big star player at any position. If it ends up being a DL? Cool. A corner? Alright then. An OL? Not my ideal situation but thats perfect all the same. Dont care where they play as long as they contribute immediately and can be a real player in this league.

45 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

So Lee, at his age and part of his contract (not that he is old, by no youth either), ans Jaylon, arguably our biggest liability at the position thru 8 games, preclude us from drafting a high end linebacker but Lawrence (likely a franchise tag), Irving (likely a mid-term deal), and having spent a first on Taco just 8 months ago, doesnt preclude us from taking multiple DLs early?

This team is in no position to nitpick over what position is safe and what isnt. Short of an early round QB or RB, this team needs the single best player they can get. Wr, DL, DB, Lb, dont matter. It needs more talent. It needs a big star player at any position. If it ends up being a DL? Cool. A corner? Alright then. An OL? Not my ideal situation but thats perfect all the same. Dont care where they play as long as they contribute immediately and can be a real player in this league.

Fair points. I’d like to get at least the next two years out of Lee and Smith as our primary LBs before replacing one or both of them, so with them and Hitchens I don’t think that leaves much playing time for another LB, but that could all be wishful thinking.

I’m generally opposed to taking a non-rush LB in the first, though, since I feel like truly special guys are few and far between there. Plus I think it’s just a position where you have to get immediate impact because their careers aren’t that long- comparatively, I’d rather play a rookie DL off the bench for like the half the snaps than use an LB like that, since I think the development curve is slower as a DL. But in general, I agree, nothing besides QB and RB should be out of play for us with our first pick next year. And an LB in the 2nd or so would not surprise me.

I’m also skeptical we end up re-signing both of Lawrence and Irving long-term. I think at least one of them could very well be gone by 2019, which would validate drafting a replacement early.

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Guys. I really want Malik Jefferson . Assuming we don't change our scheme, one of our biggest concerns has to be for life after Lee.

More concerned with Lee as it is right now, let alone down the road. He is still being baited through coverages, and isnt tackling with the same certainty we are used to. Heck he is being outran to the edge even. 

I do think a higher round Lb is on the radar though. This team wanted Shazier, and missed out. They wanted Thompson, and missed out. And I do believe they felt pretty highly of Darrin Lee as well, had something of a trade happened to cause them to drop back in their positioning that year.

Jaylon Smith was more of a barstool dart throw at a high talent prospect with big risk than a snatching up of a clear cut early impact star. Now, struggles or not the jury is still out on Jaylon. But I would not think what the coaches have seen would prevent them from jumping at the chances for their next top tier 1st round LB option as they aimed for with Shazier and Thompson.

3 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Guys. I really want Malik Jefferson . Assuming we don't change our scheme, one of our biggest concerns has to be for life after Lee.

See, that's the thing- I like Jefferson, but I see him as more of a 2nd round talent due to health and run defense questions. Granted, this is how I feel about most off-ball LBs this day and age. It's hard to find the right balance between range and coverage vs. POA strength and tackling at that position. Like I said, few and far between.

It could just depend on where we're drafting. If we pick 24-32 range, someone like Jefferson makes sense. But if we pick 16-24, I would hope for someone a little, maybe, you know, better.

I am operating under the following assumptions: Rod & This defensive scheme will continue for the next few years. If that is the case, we see how absolutely critical LBer play is for our team - specifically when Lee is out our defense is basically out.

That holding, means we have to account for life-after-Lee real soon. With Double D doing work together along the DL, we are seeing how vulnerable our Defense is without proper LBer play. That is quickly shooting up my draft needs.

Who is the best defensive prospect in next years draft? The Myles Garrett of 2018 if you will. Who is the Jalen Ramsey or Bosa?

I think we need a Zeke for our defense and I believe we need to explore the benefits of a top 5 pick for a top 10 team. Even if that means less picks. Adding someone like Ramsey or Garrett to our team is worth a trade up when you're only a few pieces away.

Is there a defender in this draft that you would part with our rd. 2 for? Derwin James? Arden Key? Brad Chubb? Minkah?

The scheme is very LB dependant. Corner, safety, you can get late round tough guys to hold a zone and out muscle receivers in a zone. And we did find some mid and late round guys to do that. Still could use that one stud, hoped itd be Byron but oh well.

But linebacker becomes the heart of the zone scheme here, because it essentially needs to eliminate pass attempts in the shallow flat areas, the middle, and down the seam while also covering the run. 

See, thats why these fast guys like Shazier and Thompson were targeted options by the staff on draft day. The speed to break from zone to cover the run is vital, but not easy to come by. You also need cover skills, which isnt exactly common among Ncaa LBs - and why guys like Matheiu and Buchannon and even Thomas Davis way back get moved from S to LB or play S but lineup more line a LB often in a game. Its easier to find a hard nosed S capable of covering snd running for the ball carrier than it is to find a Lb who can cover like a safety and still hit like a Lb. 

Im in full agreement LB is a draft need. Lee is messing up more often than he ever has, Jaylon seems too far out from where we need him to be, and Hitch likely gets paid elsewhere. Even if he does stay, we could still use another good one...a real good one at that.

However, not on board with reaching for one just because its a need. Still say this team is full of holes, full of needs. You can make the case for every single position outside of QB and RB as being a need. Take the guy you know will be a star, screw.your current players' feelings and field your best 11 on offense and defense that you possibly can.

4 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Who is the best defensive prospect in next years draft? The Myles Garrett of 2018 if you will. Who is the Jalen Ramsey or Bosa?

I think we need a Zeke for our defense and I believe we need to explore the benefits of a top 5 pick for a top 10 team. Even if that means less picks. Adding someone like Ramsey or Garrett to our team is worth a trade up when you're only a few pieces away.

Is there a defender in this draft that you would part with our rd. 2 for? Derwin James? Arden Key? Brad Chubb? Minkah?

I think this is the great mystery of next year's draft. IMO, it doesn't seem like there is such a player. I really like Minkah, but I definitely think he's underwhelming when you're comparing him to someone like Myles Garrett. It feels like the only generational talent at any position is Barkley.

I like Landry and Hurst as mid-1st options, but I wonder how much they get shot up the draft board if teams view them as difference-making pass rushers. Still a long ways to go, obviously.

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

I think this is the great mystery of next year's draft. IMO, it doesn't seem like there is such a player. I really like Minkah, but I definitely think he's underwhelming when you're comparing him to someone like Myles Garrett. It feels like the only generational talent at any position is Barkley.

I like Landry and Hurst as mid-1st options, but I wonder how much they get shot up the draft board if teams view them as difference-making pass rushers. Still a long ways to go, obviously.

THIS is my biggest fear - average 1st round options darting uo draft boards because they are best available at their positions in a year the draft class at their position is weak. We have seen this happen time and time again with weak QB classes, OTs as well, and pass rushers.

I agree with DB, we need that top tier, high attitude, big impact defender. Id be all for a big trade to get one, too. Just dont think there really is one this year. Theres several good defenders Id consider in the top 15-20 depending on my needs and where im picking. But no guy Id say worth selling out to get if he wont be there when you pick. Not in this draft class. "Best xyz in the draft" does NOT always mean "getting a great player" 

Id be more willing to trade back this year and take more stabs at late round finds, and net an early pick next year, then go up and.gamble on one of the guys this year. Last draft was the year to try that, and we didnt. Hell, we had high talent ready now prospects still available when we picked Taco. Charlton may end up being great, but as its looking right now, man, Id rather have taken Watt, King, McDowell or even Baker. In fact I had Watt as my third best pure defensive player in the whole draft. Dammit, the staff needs to learn you take the better player and find a way to get them on the field! Staying so rigid all the time gets so...stale.

Archived