Dwayne Haskins and the Future

lavar703

32 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

While I agree to an extent, I read a really good rebuttal to this. He’s not doing it for himself, he’s doing it for the other 52 guys who’ve buster their butts to get the team in this position. To just see all their effort and hard work tossed to the side because Haskins was a dummy wouldn’t be fair to them. So you put Haskins out there if Alex can’t go because of what it means to the rest of those players and how making the playoffs will show their hard work wasn’t for not.

You can choose to look at it from an angle of disappointment in Rivera but this will all be handled in the off-season. Haskins is as good as gone no matter how he plays and the continued building of culture will just keep on rolling. As someone who’s been very critical of Rivera I’m not going to be too hard on him for this one. Cutting Haskins would effectively end the season for 52 guys that have kicked butt to get to this point and that doesn’t send a good message to me. 

This is essentially what I said earlier and was trying to find a way to say again. 

Which is not to mention that they fined him $40k. Which is more than anyone I’ve heard of in the NFL for a COVID protocol violation. And they’ve stripped him of his captaincy, which I’m certain I haven’t heard of with anyone else. So they’ve imposed the largest punishment ever handed out in the sport for a purely behavioral COVID rules violation. 

And now we also know that the offense wasn’t quite as egregious as we originally feared it might be. He wasn’t at a large public venue crammed into a small space with dozens of even hundreds of drunk strangers, it was a private party in a hotel room for his girlfriend’s birthday. Should he have been there? Absolutely not, it was terrible judgment and an utter disregard of his responsibility to the team.

But it’s not quite the same level of irresponsibility and disregard that we originally thought it was. Are we really thinking he’s the only guy on this team that’s gone to a private gathering larger than the CDC recommends without a mask? None of them had Thanksgiving dinner with their extended families? No one’s had a get-together with a couple other families so the kids can play? Not one guy has had some buddies over to watch a big game or a fight?

I think that’s pretty naive, and I suspect Rivera knows that. He’s already imposed the heaviest discipline any NFL player has received for a rules violation, and Haskins has had to man up and apologize to his coaches and teammates for putting them at risk, as well as willingly humble and humiliate himself in front of the public yesterday. At a certain point, you’re allowed to treat something as a serious rules infraction but stop short of tarring and feathering the guy and clamping him in the stocks. And find a way to avoid hurting all the other guys on your football team who apparently have been doing everything right. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I agree, but I am less focused on the other 52 guys and more concerned about all the fans like yourself.  Cmon Lavar, be a bit more selfish :) The players are getting paid.  You aren't.  You lost your dream of a high draft pick, you should at least be able to enjoy a playoff birth!  

I have no issue with making the playoffs. I love that the team might make the playoffs. I just didn’t want a situation where we end up 8-8 or 7-9, pick 15th or later and not end up being a playoff team. So my opinion is if you aren’t going to be a playoff team then you need to get as high a draft pick as possible. 

• Like 2

@offbyone I actually care more about the other 52 players than I do myself as a fan. Haskins put everyone in that organization at risk with his actions, who am I?

I’m just some overweight 41 year old arm chair QB who is a never was! 😂 

These other players have been bustin their humps since March with no offseason, learning new offensive and defensive systems with no OTA’s, mini camps or preseason and proving 99% of this fanbase wrong all year.

I have all the respect in the world for every single player on this team, they’ve gone through more than most of us to keep COVID away and have done even less social interaction bc their HC had cancer.

Props to them.

baby hat GIF

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

We should absolutely sign him ! He's won the same amount of Playoff games as Kirk Cousins . 😅

I’d like you to do the math on this, how many current starting QBs have won playoff games?

Just off a hunch, I bet it’s under 10 and it might be under 5. I’d also point out that Alex Smith & Kirk Cousins are two of them and they are/were our QBs.

The point is that it’s very hard to win in the playoffs, you need a GOOD TEAM, not just to be good or great at one position and that’s why Washington has only won 2 playoff games since they last won the Super Bowl bc our TEAM’S haven’t been good enough.

QB is only one position. I will go to my grave saying that if you had Kirk Cousins w/ this defense this year that we’d win 10 or more games bc he’s good, our passing game would’ve been good, our run game w/ Gibby & McKissic would’ve been good and our D would’ve been great.

Edited by turtle28

44 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d like you to do the math on this, how many current starting QBs have won playoff games?

Just off a hunch, I bet it’s under 10 and it might be under 5. I’d also point out that Alex Smith is one of them and he’s our QB.

The point is that it’s very hard to win in the playoffs, you need a GOOD TEAM, not just to be good or great at one position and that’s why Washington has only won 2 playoff games since they last won the Super Bowl bc our TEAM’S haven’t been good enough.

QB is only one position. I will go to my grave saying that if you had Kirk Cousins w/ this defense this year that we’d win 10 or more games bc he’s good, our passing game would’ve been good, our run game w/ Gibby & McKissic would’ve been good and our D would’ve been great.

By my count, it’s 16. There are two other SB-winning QBs out there who have started some games this season (Flacco and Foles), but I didn’t include them because they aren’t THE *starter* on their team. Two stars means they won the Super Bowl, one star means they’ve been there.

Tom Brady **

Aaron Rodgers **

Drew Brees **

Patrick Mahomes **

Russell Wilson **

Ben Roethlisberger **

Matt Ryan *

Jared Goff *

Jimmy Garoppolo *

Cam Newton*

Philip Rivers

Ryan Tannehill

Deshaun Watson

Alex Smith

Dak Prescott

MINN QB #8

Noteworthy guys not on the list: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Matthew Stafford, Carson Wentz, Derek Carr

45 minutes ago, e16bball said:

By my count, it’s 16. There are two other SB-winning QBs out there who have started some games this season (Flacco and Foles), but I didn’t include them because they aren’t THE *starter* on their team. Two stars means they won the Super Bowl, one star means they’ve been there.

Tom Brady **

Aaron Rodgers **

Drew Brees **

Patrick Mahomes **

Russell Wilson **

Ben Roethlisberger **

Matt Ryan *

Jared Goff *

Jimmy Garoppolo *

Cam Newton*

Philip Rivers

Ryan Tannehill

Deshaun Watson

Alex Smith

Dak Prescott

MINN QB #8

Noteworthy guys not on the list: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Matthew Stafford, Carson Wentz, Derek Carr

Say it with me... KIRK COUSINS!!

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Turtle, all your points not withstanding--This is the guy that wants Fort Knox money !! He's won ONE Playoff game .. with some top notch talent -especially on offense I might add .

Newsflash, you can’t win w/o talent surrounding you. Every QB who wins also has great talent around them.  You keep moving the needle on Cousins, it’s ridiculous man. Before last year it was “he’s never won a playoff game.” Then he wins one and “he’s only won one playoff game.” 

Dude come on.

Case & point, Josh Allen took off when the Bills acquired Stephon Diggs. Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Newsflash, you can’t win w/o talent surrounding you. Every QB who wins also has great talent around them. 

Case & point, Josh Allen took off when the Bills acquired Stephon Diggs. Coincidence? I think not.

You missing the point- He hasn't won WITH talent around him . Let me be sure I understand you . You are in favor of signing Dak and making him the highest paid QB in the NFL , cause that's very likely what it would take . You really want to do that ?

Edited by RSkinGM

Just now, RSkinGM said:

You missing the point- He hasn't won WITH talent around him . 

So winning a playoff game in New Orleans against Drew Brees isn’t enough for you?

You're never going to be satisfied because you just don’t like him, but stop acting like he wasn’t the best QB we’ve had since Brad Johnson and arguably since Rypien, Williams or Theisman. 

As I said before if Kirk ever wins a Super Bowl you’ll say “yeah but he didn’t do this or that.”

I’d give anything to have that Playoff Win last year instead of going 3-13. 

* Also, Alex Smith cost $400,000 more than Kirk Cousins this season. So, it’s not like we couldn’t have afforded him.