Jared Goff - weak spot on the Rams?

BugzBunny101

27 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Ah yes! who can forget this oft-repeated sentiment from Rams fans back in 2018 when Goff was putting up eye-popping stats? All they could talk about was how the numbers don't really matter at all, as long as the team is winning and everybody is having fun out there together.

Yeah, that's not what I said. But the reality of the situation is that Goff's overall numbers are deflated by McVay's situational play-calling preferences. Allow me to demonstrate. Rushing TDs over the past four years:

1. Saints - 83

2. Rams - 79

3. Ravens - 75

4. Titans - 75

5. Patriots - 70

Somebody can check my math and numbers, but I believe that's the top 5. What were the Rams year to year rankings in rushing yardage? 8th, 3rd, 26th, and 9th. It suffices to say that the Rams' rushing TD numbers over the past four years are inflated. Whose numbers do you think are deflated if the Rams are scoring rushing TDs at a disproportionate rate? Stats make it easy to compare players. But the ultimate goal is winning the game. And Goff is one of those guys who doesn't have an ego about it. He has no issues letting the HB get the TDs. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it should ever be one of your main arguments to prop up a qb. Too big of a variable to me and separated by too much time. The wins and losses are locked up in their own little universe and really don't have anything to do with one another. 

I'll take Matt Stafford all day over Jimmy G

If the offense is producing and the team is winning, it tells me the QB is doing something right. We're not talking about a single year here, either.

Edited by jrry32

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It suffices to say that the Rams' rushing TD numbers over the past four years are inflated. Whose numbers do you think are deflated if the Rams are scoring rushing TDs at a disproportionate rate?

Sounds like they didn't have a quarterback who could toss the dang pigskin right into the ooool' point-hole, so they had to rely on the running game.

7 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Sounds like they didn't have a quarterback who could toss the dang pigskin right into the ooool' point-hole, so they had to rely on the running game.

Sure. We'll go with that. But said QB sure managed to lead his team to the second most wins of any QB in the NFL over the past four years. So I'll take winning and rushing TDs over losing and passing TDs.

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Sure. We'll go with that. But said QB sure managed to lead his team to the second most wins of any QB in the NFL over the past four years. So I'll take winning and rushing TDs over losing and passing TDs

And how are rushing TDs and winning games related to being a good QB ? Not much. You're not being objective at all. 

Goff is an average QB at best. He's the weak spot on the team this year no doubt. 

Edited by MagicMT
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

And how are rushing TDs and winning games related to being a good QB ? Not much. You're not being objective at all. 

Goff is an average QB at best. He's the weak spot on the team this year no doubt. 

Read the conversation. It should be easy to figure out.

Overall, Goff is NOT as good as some Rams fans think and he’s NOT as bad as most fans think. 

Ive accepted he’s gonna be a QB who at best will be top 10-12 and at worst top 20. And he will toggle between that year by year. 

I started having a change of tune last year on him but still wanted to see him this year before judgement. He came out this year completely revamped and did a tremendous job the first quarter  but lately he’s regressed into last years Goff. He doesn’t seem to have the intangibles to be an elite QB. I’ve accepted him for who he is. 

I don’t have an issue with him being our QB but I do think he holds a team with this much talent back from being a potential dynasty. If we had like a Watson or Allen or someone like Herbert (assuming he keeps it up) as QB then we will be favorites to win SBs yearly right there with the Chiefs 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think it should ever be one of your main arguments to prop up a qb. Too big of a variable to me and separated by too much time. The wins and losses are locked up in their own little universe and really don't have anything to do with one another. 

I'll take Matt Stafford all day over Jimmy G

Amen. Win/Loss is a team record. We all know football is the ultimate team sport and wins should never be used as an argument for a QB, especially without context. 

I mean, it happens when a QB is the biggest factor in a team win/loss but there other times when said QB is actually the reason they lose . 

Mitch is currently tied 11th most wins in the league from 2017-2020 and that should tell you all you should need to know.  

• Like 2

He's not quite at the 'they win in spite of him' level, but they are at the 'they often lose because of him' level. 

So for the title, answer is between 'maybe and probably', for me. If he was that much a weak spot, McVay would move on, and I don't think he's going to just yet

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

No vendetta at all. Was rooting for them in the SB, among countless other times. Literally zero vendetta. Just calling it how I see it. 

And bringing up the Bears and Bucs is laughable. I picked you to win both of those games while saying Bucs would win a playoff game. And the Bears are not a good team. 

The fact is, the NFC West DID benefit from playing the NFC East this year. And the Rams benefitted more than anyone playing them all early when they were all atrocious. The Rams are really like a 6-8/7-7 football team while the Seahawks are more of an 8-6 team rather than a 10-4 team. 

Both are pretenders. Especially the Rams. 

You clearly missed my point with the Bucs and Bears - if we didn't play the NFCE we would have played the North or South.

We already beat the second best teams in each division.

The Panthers/Falcons/Lions/Vikings are all NFC East caliber teams.

So that's three wins, against the NFC East we have four.

And the Rams could beat the Saints or Packers, but even taking one win away, you're talking about being one game worse.

But its not that easy - we won before and after every loss so far this year - so it's possible we beat the Dolphins or Niners once and end up with the same record.

The Rams also had to play both the AFCE and NFCE - which meant a ridiculous amount of travel and 10am starts - if our schedule was different and we had less travel, that could help the team as well.

Overall I believe the Rams have played an above average strength of schedule, which is more important than pointing out four bad teams we played. Our record against teams at .500 or better is currently 4-2 and we have two games left.

Aside from Goff blowing a game, which is random, nothing about the Rams says pretenders

A lot of people are taking shots at Goff in this thread, but there is one thing I do know and that is that he is capable of playing at an extremely high level.  I remember a Rams/Vikings game a couple years ago when we were still fielding an elite defense.  Goff was throwing lasers all over the field on us.  He looked as good as any quarterback in the league on that day.  So say what you want about him being inconsistent, but if he can get hot and start playing in the playoffs like he did against us that day, there isn't a team in the league who can beat the Rams.  We'll just have to see if he can put it all together come playoff time.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Sure. We'll go with that. But said QB sure managed to lead his team to the second most wins of any QB in the NFL over the past four years. So I'll take winning and rushing TDs over losing and passing TDs.

I mean, yeah, you've got a great all-around roster and coaching staff. But that's the point of this thread: Goff being the weak spot in the whole thing. Or sport.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

A lot of people are taking shots at Goff in this thread, but there is one thing I do know and that is that he is capable of playing at an extremely high level.  I remember a Rams/Vikings game a couple years ago when we were still fielding an elite defense.  Goff was throwing lasers all over the field on us.  He looked as good as any quarterback in the league on that day.  So say what you want about him being inconsistent, but if he can get hot and start playing in the playoffs like he did against us that day, there isn't a team in the league who can beat the Rams.  We'll just have to see if he can put it all together come playoff time.

which is all well and good, but I'd say contrary to what many people think, the biggest difference in quarterbacks in today's league isn't what they are physically capable of when everything is going right and they are playing to their absolute peak. It's who can approach that level on the most-consistent basis.

Consistency is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

which is all well and good, but I'd say contrary to what many people think, the biggest difference in quarterbacks in today's league isn't what they are physically capable of when everything is going right and they are playing to their absolute peak. It's who can approach that level on the most-consistent basis.

Consistency is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

I would normally agree with you on that, but don't you think it's possible for a QB to get hot going into the playoffs?

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I would normally agree with you on that, but don't you think it's possible for a QB to get hot going into the playoffs?

Possible? of course. How much money are you gonna put down that it's Jared Goff?

Also, in the same circumstance I'd say there are 10 other quarterbacks who don't think of as great but could slot in for Goff and have as good of a shot at "getting hot" in the playoffs. I don't think Goff is unique in that respect.

I'm not gonna get into it too much here at this point, but really it's a thought that's been percolating in my head for a few years now: Outside of the top, say, two tiers of quarterbacks, I think there's a group of 10-18 quarterbacks that are WAY more similar in ability/potential than people want to admit, and if you swapped all of their coaches, defenses, home fields, weapons, surrounding cast, etc, they'd all look the same more or less.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

Possible? of course. How much money are you gonna put down that it's Jared Goff?

Also, in the same circumstance I'd say there are 10 other quarterbacks who don't think of as great but could slot in for Goff and have as good of a shot at "getting hot" in the playoffs. I don't think Goff is unique in that respect.

I'm not gonna get into it too much here at this point, but really it's a thought that's been percolating in my head for a few years now: Outside of the top, say, two tiers of quarterbacks, I think there's a group of 10-18 quarterbacks that are WAY more similar in ability/potential than people want to admit, and if you swapped all of their coaches, defenses, home fields, weapons, surrounding cast, etc, they'd all look the same more or less.

I think you are probably right on in that thinking.