Jared Goff - weak spot on the Rams?

BugzBunny101

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Fans will always throw the coach under the bus to protect the QB. Fans get more attached to QB’s than any position in team sports it seems, even if that QB is not good... I’ll never understand it. 

You're absolutely right and I find it fascinating. The psychology of a football fan. Poor OCs get thrown under the bus IMMEDIATELY, too.

• Like 4

Just now, DannyB said:

You're absolutely right and I find it fascinating. The psychology of a football fan. Poor OCs get thrown under the bus IMMEDIATELY, too.

I've seen it for years with Carr and Raider Fans, while fans of the 31 other teams and experts, analyze it correctly.

Same with Goff/Rams, among other teams.

Happening with Ravens/Lamar this year too. I think Lamar is a Top 10 QB, but he's been struggling passing majority of the year, and only Raven fans seem to object otherwise, and blame everything but Lamar, when it's clearly on Lamar.

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I've seen it for years with Carr and Raider Fans, while fans of the 31 other teams and experts, analyze it correctly.

Happening with Ravens/Lamar this year too. I think Lamar is a Top 10 QB, but he's been struggling passing majority of the year, and only Raven fans seem to object otherwise, and blame everything but Lamar, when it's clearly on Lamar.

I wonder if it's because fans view it as both the most important piece for success while also being the hardest to find? Or, the least replaceable? So, if they acknowledge that the QB is a problem, they are also acknowledging that their team isn't a serious contender and may have to go through the daunting process of finding a better one. I dunno, something like that.

53 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I like Carr. Goff is on a team that his only job is to be "ok" and that team already showed it's enough to go deep into the post season and if can run some good drives late in games they may as well win it all and he can't do those things. Carr OTOH was on a dysfunctional franchise that only now got a good coach and in my opinion he's doing very well. Now, that good coach needs to effing fix the defense. Carr got his limitations, it's evident but can't ask him to be Mahomes in his first year. Can't expect him to go out there and lead the offense to score 30+ points every game.

I bet Josh/Bill would love to have Carr.

8 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

I like Carr. Goff is on a team that his only job is to be "ok" and that team already showed it's enough to go deep into the post season and if can run some good drives late in games they may as well win it all and he can't do those things. Carr OTOH was on a dysfunctional franchise that only now got a good coach and in my opinion he's doing very well. Now, that good coach needs to effing fix the defense. Carr got his limitations, it's evident but can't ask him to be Mahomes in his first year. Can't expect him to go out there and lead the offense to score 30+ points every game.

I bet Josh/Bill would love to have Carr.

Carr is not a bad QB by any means, but he’s a middle of the pack guy. He doesn’t like throwing deep, never has. Not with Cooper or Ruggs. His game has always been Short/Medium. His favorite targets in his college/NFL career have been Davante Adams, Michael Crabtree, Jared Cook, and Darren Waller. This causes teams to not respect the back-end, and shut our offense down easily. Defenses were respecting Ruggs for most of the year, but after learning Carr never throws to him, teams stopped respecting the back-end again. See Atlanta game. 

Carr also has several other limitations. He cannot extend plays very well, and most of the times he tries to extend a play or take off for a run, he ends up fumbling due to his tiny hand size. 

He also is notoriously famous for being a bad cold weather QB and playing extremely poorly in December consistently. 

Carr is not a bad QB, but he’s probably around 14-15 middle of the pack, slightly ahead of guys like Goff and Jimmy. He has severe limitations, and his preferences are easily gameplanned for. And no, it’s not because of  Gruden’s scheme, Carr has played this conservative way throughout all three NFL Systems and College. He does not like throwing far. 

He’d probably be a good fit in New Orleans for Sean Payton’s Offense. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

What are the team records? 

11 hours ago, DannyB said:

I wonder if it's because fans view it as both the most important piece for success while also being the hardest to find? Or, the least replaceable? So, if they acknowledge that the QB is a problem, they are also acknowledging that their team isn't a serious contender and may have to go through the daunting process of finding a better one. I dunno, something like that.

I would say so, yeah.

I still don't understand because it's more than likely the coach will be with your team longer than a player. 

after the second loss against the niners mcvay did something he never did. calling out a player publicly. that player was goff.
goff admited he srewed up, took the heat and blablabla.
mcvay never did something like that. he raved about gurley and cooks until they got kicked.

and right after the jets game mcvay kinda blamed goff again, without saying his name this time.
but this time goff blamed him and the rest of the team for the screw up.

goff was drafted by fisher. goff will be gone. the guy *promise* to fix his pressure issue now for three years but couldn't get it done in three years,
why should this problem being fixed in the next three years?

the usual suspects among the rams fans who are goff groupies will come up and defend him with bs like he is only 26. he is still learing the offense.
(after 4 years).

yes, goff is holding this offense down. goff is the problem. at best an above average qb on good days.
not worth the top franchise qb money.

• Like 5

On 12/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, tyler735 said:

Had the RB open on 4th down to give his team a chance...Decides let's throw the bomb instead

For decades whenever I've had a wager or rooting interest on a football game and the opponent's offense faced a key late play, I've begged them to throw deep sideline

Always feels like a gift. Why are such low percentage designs ever used in that situation?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

For decades whenever I've had a wager or rooting interest on a football game and the opponent's offense faced a key late play, I've begged them to throw deep sideline

Always feels like a gift. Why are such low percentage designs ever used in that situation?

Don't know, I definitely would take 2 runs there...

That said, it's a concept with a high-low read. The low read was open, the high read wasn't - Goff threw to his first read (high read is always first). It was malpractice from the QB. Not open, where's my low read...he's open, throw it. LAR win probably.

But...McVay did put all his trust in him.

On 12/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, BayRaider said:

Goff is the main issue but far from the only issue. They need a three down running back, they need a better OL, they need more speed in their receiving core, and they need a better LB corps. I believe PFF rated their LB corps the worst in the league going into the season. 

They have a tremendous DL and Secondary, and solid WR core overall (need more speed), but the team is very incomplete. I saw someone else say earlier, if the Rams didn’t play the NFC East this year, they are probably a 6-8 team right now, which is probably true. They played all four NFCE teams, before WFT and NYG were semi-decent. The talent level is about a 6-8 or 7-7 team. 

That is a hilariously bad take. Whatever vendetta you have against the Rams, you should just drop it. The NFC East nonsense is way overrated. We played the Bucs and the Bears and beat them - bring on the Lions, Falcons, Vikings and Panthers, who are all NFCE level teams. Would swapping either the Packers or Saints for one of the NFCE teams lead to a loss? Possibly. That would only reduce our record by one game - except it's obviously not that simple. There's a chance are record could be better, worse or the same. We still have a top defense even with those issues, and the OL has been a fringe top 10 unit. Kupp and Woods lead the NFL in YAC, and our run game has been pretty good. You say we need a three down back, but both Akers and Henderson are decent out of the backfield - Goff has been incredibly inaccurate on checkdowns this year which has led to their lack of production in the passing game.

On 12/21/2020 at 11:45 AM, BayRaider said:

Fans will always throw the coach under the bus to protect the QB. Fans get more attached to QB’s than any position in team sports it seems, even if that QB is not good... I’ll never understand it. 

Yeah some eagles fans still think it was everyone but carsons fault for his struggles even after a rookie QB had 401 yards and 4 tds against the cardinals a performance better than anything carson has ever done.

• Like 1

When you put it all together:

Close to last in air yards

Horrible under pressure

Turnovers (and TOs that are returned for TDs)

McVay's lack of trust late in game (ran the ball on 3rd and 7 against TB, leaving Brady over two minutes just needing a FG - a FG, mind you, that was kicked by Matt Gay who was just picked up off the street - he trusted a kicker to make a 40 yard FG off the street and the defense to stop the GOAT QB more than he trusted Goff on 3rd and 7), wouldn't throw against the Bears or Patriots late despite it being the perfect opportunity to get Goff some confidence.

Eye test - so many inaccurate throws, even on completions and when not under pressure

The job McVay has done is, basically, a miracle this year. Rams fans will rag on our OL and weapons - but between Kupp/Woods/Higbee/Everett/Reynolds/Jefferson and the RBs it's a top 10 group. The OL has been above average by most stats you can find about an offensive line. And then some of us want to blame McVay? I'll question McVay and Snead for giving Goff the contract, but he is a top 3 play caller in the NFL and Goff is barely an average QB. If we had to pick one, it's a no brainer, and yet Rams fans want to blame McVay?

They tried to blame him for the Dolphins game - for not having an answer to a zero blitz - like they really think McVay wasn't talking to Goff after every series?? But sure let's blame the guy who is better at his job and making 6 times less than Goff.

The Jets and Jaguars are in the same boat now - there's only one difference between the Packers/Jaguars game and Rams/Jets game. Both teams thought they could sleepwalk and get a win. But one had a great a QB that wasn't going to let his team lose, and the other had Goff.

• Like 4