Jared Goff - weak spot on the Rams?

BugzBunny101

Thankfully most Rams fans are finally coming around.

The truth is, once Gurley got hurt at the end of 2018 and the running game suffered, Goff got worse. Sure, he lit up the horrible Niner and Cardinal defense and, in the best game of his career, played a great game in the NFCCG against an overrated Saints defense.

He's had a few outliers since then too - some random great games. But he's shot right now.

And, here's the thing: what Hunter pointed out above about time to throw - once you pay a QB, it leaves less money for other positions. Rams fans wanted to pay AD, Gurley and Goff, as if the salary cap doesn't exist and we can just magically put good players in place. McVay bet on Goff (or more likely, his ability to "Shanahan" QB play). Last season we tried to implement a short passing game, and it didn't work because Goff is too inconsistent. Teams were more than willing to allow the Rams to attempt to have 12 play drive after 12 play drive - good pass, good pass, bad pass, pick 6 - which brings me to another point - regardless of pressure and talent around you, there is NO EXCUSE for turning the ball over. Goff has more turnovers than anyone in the past two years, and how many have gone for TDs? Glad you asked: 6 over the past two seasons.

But what's even better is how the Dolphins got 21 points off of 34 - THIRTY FOUR - offensive yards, thanks to Jared Goff.

Does he need a better supporting cast? That's beyond question at this point. But should a $34 million QB need a better cast than this? Nope. Russell Wilson has gone most of his career with worse WRs, a worse OL and less talent at RB and has never played this poorly.

I feel like I'm going insane - Rams fans are now trying to discredit the defense (if they wouldn't have given up two TDs each to the Jets and Seahawks we could have won) in an effort to.....I'm not sure what. It's possibly the best defense the Rams have ever had if you account for era. Goff gifted Miami 21 points on 34 yards - those 21 points go against our defense in points allowed.

There's not much we can do, but sign me up for the Eagles QB blueprint.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 3:59 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

What's happened to him?! He actually used to be good and a genuine threat to the opposition

He's barely throwing past the down markers, he threw a 5 yard pass on a 4th and 20, McVay called a run on a 3rd and 17, he throws rookie-like picks now, he doesn't air it out (which he has the ability to do), he hasn't got the mental/physical strength to dive for a first down

In terms of intended air yards - his average is 4th lowest in the league. He's behind Mullens, Haskins, Dalton, Bridgewater, NEWTON!

He has completed 1 pass beyond 20 yards over the last 4 weeks.

McVay will have to draft a QB and see if that changes things for Jared, because he's shot right now

When he peaked there in 2017/2018, we had the best combination of OL/RB/WR in the league. And a great playcaller. It made how defenses defended us, just, easier for him I think.

But it's also worth noting that the Cardinals, Niners and Seahawks all had bad defenses those years. Goff went 10-1 against our division those two years. We also played a slew of other mediocre teams in 2018 - Vikings, Packers, Lions, Raiders, Broncos - the Chargers we played before they caught fire, and the Chiefs defense was horrific.

There was a stat back then about how open WRs were - Goff does have some natural talent, obviously, or he never would have been a first round pick - but the open WRs coupled with time to throw made him look better. The Lions figured something out in week 13 of 2018 and teams replicated it - the Bears, the Patriots and then the last two years. McVay, I think, has tried a few different things. This year he started the year off great but eventually the turnovers came calling and now he's close to beyond repair.

It’s not just Goff. The Rams got beaten pretty confidently by the Jets in a game they needed to win for the division crown. Talent alone you’d think they should be winning that game but they got totally embarrassed as a team.

Mcvay deserves some of the blame for the Rams struggles. He’s the offensive playcaller and CEO of the team on game day and during the week of practice, and the QB is usually just the most readily observable performance that’s impacted by an offensive coach/ playcaller not performing well either.

Goff can play better, but he’s not the single factor in the Rams underperforming right now.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

One thing that's been noticeable at least in the Rams games I've watched this year is that they don't really take any shots downfield anymore. There's probably multiple reasons for that - the offensive line can't hold up, McVay not trusting Goff as much, maybe it's just Goff being conservative despite the opportunities being there. But it also seems like they just never replaced Brandon Cooks. McVay's offense was at its best when it could beat you at any level really - a running game that worked both North to South and East to West with Gurley and a heavy dose of WR motions/jet sweeps; then in the passing game you had Cooks taking the top off of defenses creating room for Kupp and Woods to eat underneath.

Seems like a combination of not replacing Cooks, and not trusting the OL has basically shifted the Rams to become a much more conservative ground and pound offense - would be curious if there's a breakdown out there of how much more often they use 2 TE sets now compared to 2018. They're still trying to do similar things with their running game, and Woods and Kupp are still getting plenty of targets in the short passing game, but there is no big play threat beyond hoping for missed tackles and Woods and Kupp creating after the catch. Defenses can just focus on keeping everything in front of them and making their tackles and it's leading to a lot more high-leverage situations for Goff. 

Cooks' concussion issues seemingly made him the odd man out when the Rams needed to get rid of someone to make room for extending Goff and signing Ramsey, and that move maybe made sense from a money perspective, but it seems like it was a mistake to not really replace him at all. Drafting Van Jefferson when they were planning to extend both Kupp and Woods feels like a mistake given the similar player profiles. Not that it solves everything but maybe if they take Denzel Mims there instead they at least have the right kind of player to try and create a downfield threat and force teams to defend the whole field rather than the current situation where you basically just have to defend the sticks and make sure you're limiting YAC opportunities. 

If I'm the Rams this offseason, other than the OL that's probably my biggest priority in terms of trying to revitalize Goff - getting a deep threat at WR. I don't know whether they have buyer's remorse and that's influencing their personnel decisions but an offensive system where they're essentially hiding him isn't really going to work. 

I'm not a huge fan. He's been a below league average passer rating guy for 3/5 years. He's basically only looked good for extended periods of time when he had Todd Gurley at his best. He has an elite offensive coach and has always had a talented supporting cast. He's probably the next Dalton. Average starter, can play well with talent around him, that's it.

24 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

I'm sorry but 🤣

They looked more explosive yesterday, and it included their longest completion in weeks!

We scored 38 against the Cardinals 4 weeks ago with Goff, and we would have done so this week with him at Qb. Goff has made quite a few bonehead throws this year, specially later, but you are looking at yesterday´s rams offense from a different angle because of Wolford being the QB. Goff has a beautiful deep ball, and I think McVay has been quite conservative with him this year, possibly because of the OL.

1 hour ago, BigTrav said:

I'm sorry but 🤣

They looked more explosive yesterday, and it included their longest completion in weeks!

Lmao what game were you watching??? The o line  still can’t run block and we couldn’t score a single offensive TD to save our lives. The number 1 defense won the game.

Edited by NYRamsFan88

2 hours ago, BigTrav said:

I'm sorry but 🤣

No, no they did not. I'm anti-Goff, but this is blatantly wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

It was strange seeing so many down field throws - is McVay telling Goff not to attempt them? Unlikely when he had a guy making his first career start throw downfield 9 times

Can't be right Frantik. See the above 3 posts

Not sure what game you were watching.

2 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Lmao what game were you watching??? The o line  still can’t run block and we couldn’t score a single offensive TD to save our lives. The number 1 defense won the game.

Explosive plays mean distance. Wooly completed more than Goff has for 4 weeks. Fact

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

No, no they did not. I'm anti-Goff, but this is blatantly wrong.

Why is it blatantly wrong? 

pass-chart_GOF219636_2020-REG-15_1608516

That's a fairly typical Goff chart. You'll notice only 4 completions beyond 10. Nothing over 20, not even with YAC. 

QB yesterday had 1 over 20 for sure, and it might be 2 but I can't find chart.

You might be anti-Goff, I am not, I just watch and take note. When I say explosive, I mean the definition NFL uses with 'explosive plays'. Rams had more explosive plays than the typical Goff day. Sorry