Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

10 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

So is this a do or die season for Capers as DC? Team has invested in the defense year after year with their early picks in the draft and the results have largely been the same. They now doubled down with even more defensive additions via draft(first 4 picks) as well as FA(3 signings). Add in a waiver claim on another player and you certainly can't blame the FO for doing its part to provide talent on that end.

There's too many unknown variables.  A season derailed by injuries like last season isn't exactly the DC's fault.  Even if he was going to be sent packing, there would have to be a good option in replacement. 

Just now, PackyAttacky said:

Really, I am sure he will be fine, but I thought he was flat this pre-season.

I didn't see that. He didn't really make any splash plays, but he was solid pretty much every down. For me, that's almost MORE impressive for a rookie, not having major lapses. It'll all come together as he gets reps.

17 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Foster looks good. Still a thumper. That's not what we desire is it?

I would disagree that Foster is a "thumper." In just a few preseason plays (not to mention his college film), I saw him have range and close on RBs faster than Ryan or Martinez could run in shorts w/o pads. IMO, Foster, if healthy is a potential future Pro Bowl caliber type player as an ILB...the biggest question is whether he actually can stay healthy. 

On 9/6/2017 at 8:06 PM, spilltray said:

I didn't see that. He didn't really make any splash plays, but he was solid pretty much every down. For me, that's almost MORE impressive for a rookie, not having major lapses. It'll all come together as he gets reps.

Completely agree. Looked good on STs too. He could be a demon there. I won't be shocked if we see a lot of Burnett or Jones at ILB this game vs the Seahawks. Somebody is gonna go 1on1 with Graham and my bet is Burnett, with HaHa taking his turns too. 

Is Brice healthy?

Been a long, long time since I've been this happy with the safeties on the squad in Week 1.  Crazy talented and very flexible.  I'll bet Capers finds a way to get a lot of those guys on the field together in a few packages.  DC certainly has more pieces this year.  

5 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Packers defense hasn't allowed a TD all season so far. Discuss

Barring injury it can be a Super Bowl caliber defense as pointed out last week.

The main problem with the D last season was injuries concentrated at key positions.  The Packers' defense has not only gotten healthier this season, they have added more depth, experience and talent.  It's a defense, when healthy, that is actually capable of helping the Packers win another Super Bowl. 

Defense looked sharp, but ATL will be a greater test for our revamped pass defense. 

As an aside, who will have more INTs this year, King or TJ Watt? ? Still think we are going to regret not drafting the guy who I think is going to run away with the DROY award. 

Archived