Around the League week 17

textaz03

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

5 of the 6 CBs making at least $15M/yr (Ramsey, Humphrey, White, Slay, Jones, and Howard) are on teams slated to make the playoffs. The two teams paying their Top 2 CBs at least $14M/yr (Baltimore and Miami), more than Dallas pays its entire starting secondary, have better defenses than this team could dream of.

But keep raging as this team drafts decent #2 corners in the second round. It's clearly their biggest institutional problem.

And of those teams, what does their D Line look like? Do they get pressure/sacks often? Are they good against the run?

If you notice, since Gregory and Gallimore have began to show up, our secondary is getting turnovers, not torched every quarter. But that's okay, 25 years of ignoring this position early in drafts and 25 years of nothing to show for your efforts, but let's continue drafting DBs.

5 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

And of those teams, what does their D Line look like? Do they get pressure/sacks often? Are they good against the run?

If you notice, since Gregory and Gallimore have began to show up, our secondary is getting turnovers, not torched every quarter. But that's okay, 25 years of ignoring this position early in drafts and 25 years of nothing to show for your efforts, but let's continue drafting DBs.

They have varying qualities of DL, pass rush, run stopping. Obviously the Rams have Aaron Donald, while the Dolphins are built more from the back to the front. I'm not going to do the research for you, because you choose to be woefully misinformed about the degree to which Dallas invests in its secondary compared to the average team. I don't know why they don't give a **** about 1-tech but to suggest they absolutely love drafting DBs and do so at all costs is poppycock. LB is the position the Joneses braindeadly believe will lead them to defensive success.

Edited by matt79511

3 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

All this QB talk and how it equates to wins. 

Let's try this on. Did anyone notice that when Fletcher Cox went out of the game Dallas's offense caught fire?

The running game featured Zeke for 105.

The passing game had multiple 100 yard receivers.

The QB threw for almost 400 yards.

Funny how a dominant DT has THAT much impact on an entire defense.

But let's keep drafting DBs high in our next draft. - sorry, had to throw that one out there.

I really really questioned the announcers who kept saying that. We beat the breaks off them because they had a corner who gave up like 200 yards and 3 tds on like 5-10 attempts. It was freaking nuts. I've never seen 1 cb get harassed that badly.

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

I'm calling bs. We've drafted more DL than DBs in the last ~5 years. Or atleast with earlier picks. 

On 12/28/2020 at 8:17 PM, Matts4313 said:

Dime a dozen. Just throw a dart at your draft board and any of those guys can win a championship. Right @DaBoys?

Really the problem is that there a a few very good young QBs and posters are just ignoring the *VAST* majority are bust.

Way to early to call these guys busts. You are all jumping the gun. Trubisky and Darnold actually look decent lately. You guys are calling Goff a bust? Wentz will get another chance as well. Just ridiculous.

Haskins doesn’t make the class. And yes QBs are a dime a dozen in todays NFL. You get more Goffs, Wentzs, and Darnolds then you do Haskins. 

RBs are a dime a dozen but there are still Trent Richardsons every now and then. It happens.

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You are being purposely dense just to be combative. Congrats, you think Dalton beating a bottom 3 team with a back up QB is a great feat... while shaming a QB that gave us the lead against a top 3 NFC team with minutes to go.

Its the most stupid thing I have ever read. But we dont have to agree on everything. 

Daks not going awywhere. Maybe you should? You said you were switching to the Raiders. Id hate for you to suffer through top 10 QB play when you be looking at Mark Davis's haircut. 

Congrats if you think “almost” is the same as winning.  I guess we should also pay Anthony Spencer $25M per year because he was almost a good pass rusher.  

Matts just let this sink in... Andy Dalton is winning more games at a higher winning percentage and is doing it with less protection and a worse defense.  Paying Dak has only hurt the overall football team which went from giving up 20 ppg last year to 30 ppg this year.  It’s funny how winning is a team stat yet you completely fail to grasp how Dak’s huge payday negatively impacted the team.  Andy Dalton has proven my point... we don’t need a $30+ million dollar QB to win.

37 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

And yes QBs are a dime a dozen in todays NFL. You get more Goffs, Wentzs, and Darnolds then you do Haskins. 

You just listed 4 bust. Or atleast massssssaviely disappointing.

35 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I love how you guys keep avoiding the results of the 2020 rookie QBs class as well. 

Because its way to early to tell? Tau keeps getting benched. Is he a bust?

Burrow is injured. Is he injury prone?

Herbert looked really good. Can he maintain it?

4 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Matts just let this sink in

You let this sink in.  Your argument is ****** stupid in my opinion and I am tired of reading over and over how you think Dalton beating 3 of the worst teams in the NFL with back up QBs - - WHILE THE DEFENSE LEADS THE NFL IN TURNOVERS DURING THOSE 3 GAMES - - equates to him being a good QB. 

Its a dumb case. Stop saying it.

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You let this sink in.  Your argument is ****** stupid in my opinion and I am tired of reading over and over how you think Dalton beating 3 of the worst teams in the NFL with back up QBs - - WHILE THE DEFENSE LEADS THE NFL IN TURNOVERS DURING THOSE 3 GAMES - - equates to him being a good QB. 

Its a dumb case. Stop saying it.

Well Matts, you would know about beating bottom feeders... it’s just that when Dak beats bottom feeders (6 of his 8 wins last year and his only win this year came against teams draft in the top 5)... you get super excited about it.  You’re like “Dak is so awesome!!!  He can beat really horrible teams!  Let’s pay Dak $35-40 per year!!!  Just look at his stats and graphs!”  Yet when Andy Dalton beats bottom feeders it’s sudden not impressive even though Dalton is doing it with 4 OL backups, 3 of which were UDFAs.  Sorry dude... what Andy Dalton is doing this year playing behind mounds of jello is far more impressive than what Dak did last year playing behind a great OL and surrounded by offensive pro bowlers.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Imma stop reading here and just assume this is as pathetic as your last 10 post. 

Please don’t stop... I think I speak for the entire forum when I say that we could all use a stat, graph, pie chart, Venn diagram, or maybe an entire PowerPoint to help us understand why it’s better to pay Dak more to win less.  Please don’t stop.  

2 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Please don’t stop... I think I speak for the entire forum when I say that we could all use a stat, graph, pie chart, Venn diagram, or maybe an entire PowerPoint to help us understand why it’s better to pay Dak more to win less.  Please don’t stop.  

more stupid post. Get better.

I wanna go to the defensive tackle thing, since you two have your own thread and @Rtnldave almost has a point.

In 2016, the Cowboys passed on DeForest Buckner at #4 overall and Chris Jones at #34 overall. Those two are arguably the two best DTs in the NFL not named Donald and were not only starters for last year's SB participants, but probably the best overall players on SF and KC's defenses respectively.

Thing is, Dallas didn't pass on them for Jalen Ramsey and Vonn Bell. They passed on them for Zeke and Jaylon. I believe a lot of this team's current problems can be traced back to those two picks and their ramifications (i.e. the urge to double down and overpay both of them). I certainly feel as if we sacrificed more opportunity cost at 4th and 34th overall than, say, 60th and 92nd (where Awuzie and Lewis were drafted the year after).

Feel like I'm stating the obvious here, but for as much as people like to say "we could've had Ramsey and Henry instead of Zeke and Jaylon," not landing a foundational piece on the DL when those guys were available really stings.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I wanna go to the defensive tackle thing, since you two have your own thread and @Rtnldave almost has a point.

In 2016, the Cowboys passed on DeForest Buckner at #4 overall and Chris Jones at #34 overall. Those two are arguably the two best DTs in the NFL not named Donald and were not only starters for last year's SB participants, but probably the best overall players on SF and KC's defenses respectively.

Thing is, Dallas didn't pass on them for Jalen Ramsey and Vonn Bell. They passed on them for Zeke and Jaylon. I believe a lot of this team's current problems can be traced back to those two picks and their ramifications (i.e. the urge to double down and overpay both of them). I certainly feel as if we sacrificed more opportunity cost at 4th and 34th overall than, say, 60th and 92nd (where Awuzie and Lewis were drafted the year after).

Feel like I'm stating the obvious here, but for as much as people like to say "we could've had Ramsey and Henry instead of Zeke and Jaylon," not landing a foundational piece on the DL when those guys were available really stings.

I think a lot of that had to deal with Marinelli. He just didn’t value the DT position far enough to warrant higher draft picks