Cowboys Cutting Carroll

Texas_OutLaw7

Is it because he is terrible at CB?  That's why I would have cut him.  He was the best player on that Denver offense.

Lewis has stepped up.  Good thing we went back to back CBs in the draft because Chido looks like he is redshirting.

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It is possible Lewis ends up as the best player from that draft.

Awuzie was the better "ready now" prospect, but Lewis has made tremendous improvements weeknafter week.

I think between injury, depth chart (brown scandrick lewis all ahead of him, with byron playing some slot and us fielding 3 safeties at times) and trusting Lewis having seen more from him so far has pushed Awuzie into the background

But dont go labeling anyone yet. Remember that corner we took when we had two picks? Even made a pro bowl before going out with the rest of that drafts garbage. And remember Lawrences 0 sack rookie year? A lot can still happen, plenty of ball to play, and many can look good in a small sample size.

5 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Awuzie was the better "ready now" prospect, but Lewis has made tremendous improvements weeknafter week.

I think between injury, depth chart (brown scandrick lewis all ahead of him, with byron playing some slot and us fielding 3 safeties at times) and trusting Lewis having seen more from him so far has pushed Awuzie into the background

But dont go labeling anyone yet. Remember that corner we took when we had two picks? Even made a pro bowl before going out with the rest of that drafts garbage. And remember Lawrences 0 sack rookie year? A lot can still happen, plenty of ball to play, and many can look good in a small sample size.

I disagree with the bolded, although I know that was the popular opinion. I felt that Awuzie had a much higher ceiling, but Lewis would be the better bet to contribute from day one. Admittedly, I had no clue he'd be this good this quickly.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:46 PM, flyingmonkey30 said:

I disagree with the bolded, although I know that was the popular opinion. I felt that Awuzie had a much higher ceiling, but Lewis would be the better bet to contribute from day one. Admittedly, I had no clue he'd be this good this quickly.

I thought Awuzie was more ready now because he had the better field awareness and played more zone coverage, and did it well, at the previous level. Lewis lacked the same ability to see the field and read proper adjustments to his zone without infringing on another territory or breaking his own boundaries. 

No one could have predicted Lewis would jump right in and, week by week, systematically improve in every facet of his game. Awuzie, I thought would come in ready to go and just be a consistent all around contributor as a DB while Lewis would have to learn the ropes but had the bigger big play, superstar level potential. 

It really is unfortunate that Rodgers picked on him so much at the end of that game. Lewis really held his own. And on that last throw, yeah, technically he should have gotten his head around and played on the ball better (a rookie mistake) but in the end there really is no defending the perfect throw, and that throw was perfect.

Archived