Honest question, do people even want to make the playoffs if Alex Smith can’t play?

turtle28

Do people want to make the playoffs is Alex Smith can’t play?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do people want to make the playoffs is Alex Smith can’t play?

• Yes, it shows we are heading in the right direction
    • No, I’d rather have the higher draft pick

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

The bolded encapsulates my internal struggle with this year. I am a fan and will always reflexively want to see the TDs and wins, etc...

But the idea of trotting out Heinecke to win and then get demolished by TB and missing out on a better pick that will help for a decade's hard to stomach. In my day job, I have to think long-term. And there's benefit short term for playoffs. But long term, not so much.

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. 

My head says that it’s probably better for the long-term future of the organization if they don’t get in. It’s not like the difference between 19 and 11 is that glaring, generally speaking — unless you’re in the market for a franchise QB. Which we are. It would also be a nice added benefit to be picking 8+ slots higher in every round, particularly round 2. 

There would be some positive feelings generated within the organization from winning the division and making the playoffs. I think it would help in terms of experience and setting expectations and changing the internal view of our operation a bit. All of which has value. But I think they’ve accomplished a lot of that already. I think the good feelings and belief are already largely developing. If they don’t make it, I think they can point to the QB injuries and the Haskins fiasco as the issue and move past it with total belief in the up-and-coming status of this roster and coaching staff.

That said, my heart doesn’t agree. My heart wants them to keep winning. Just programmed like that as a fan. So I’m going to root for them to beat Philly and accept the better draft pick(s) as a consolation prize if they don’t. And I’m going to root for them to beat Tampa Bay and then Green Bay and then Seattle/New Orleans, and just let this defense clown three straight Hall of Famers en route to a showdown with the MVP and the soon-to-be-named Kansas City Football Team. The hell with it. Project 11 rolls through everybody.

• Like 2

Taylor Heinicke has thrown 77 passes in his NFL career. Has been on 5 franchises in his career not including an XFL team (where he didn't even play). He was literally signed as an emergency QB that knew our system. You all tell yourself whatever you want though. 

• Like 1

I voted no. I interpreted the question as, if Alex Smith isnt the QB in the postseason game, do I want to make the playoffs?

The obvious answer is no. If Alex Smith cant play in the post season, we shouldn't make it. We would be left with Heinicke and Montez as our two QBs...

100% more comfortable rolling into a playoff game with Alex Smith. (Cant believe I'm saying that)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vladimir L said:

Lets say he puts up great % even 2 TD eith zero turn overs.

Why would we start alex? would it be out of respect?

Alex beat the 11-0 Steelers and went on 4-0 win streak with this team. I think that beats whatever Taylor is gonna do against the 4-10-1 Eagles that even Dwayne beat earlier this year.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I mean that would be the greatest dream to ever come true, which is why I struggle with this. And, no it doesn’t make it easier for me at all bc Heinicke is Colt McCoy.

Heinicke is savvy, he seems to make good decisions with the ball, he has good legs and will run for first downs if nothings open downfield but he doesn’t even have a good NFL arm - aka an Alex Smith type arm - to really say he can be the long term answer.

Heinicke is back up QB material. From what I saw on Sunday from him, I wish we could place his decision making and savvy into Kyle Allen or Dwayne Haskins’s bodies/minds bc if we did then, we’d have a QB who could be a franchise QB but, that’s impossible.

I think strong arms are over rated see Drew Brees and Joe Montana...Hell even Brady arm isnt great rather have an accurate passer. 

I don't care if we have to trot out Logan Thomas to play QB.

I want the Playoffs! 🍺🏈

Having said that...I'm so glad we got rid of Haskins. 

The energy was negative with him on the roster. 

If felt like having Albert Haynesworth back on the roster.

I want us to win Sunday & make a Playoff run so bad....

They'll be calling us Washington Miracles when all is said & done.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Taylor Heinicke has thrown 77 passes in his NFL career. Has been on 5 franchises in his career not including an XFL team (where he didn't even play). He was literally signed as an emergency QB that knew our system. You all tell yourself whatever you want though. 

and Kurt Warner was bagging groceries . !

23 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I don't care if we have to trot out Logan Thomas to play QB.

I want the Playoffs! 🍺🏈

Having said that...I'm so glad we got rid of Haskins. 

The energy was negative with him on the roster. 

If felt like having Albert Haynesworth back on the roster.

I want us to win Sunday & make a Playoff run so bad....

They'll be calling us Washington Miracles when all is said & done.

I just keep remembering the disappointment when all we had to do was beat The Giants ( who had zip to play for ) at home to get in and Cousins laid an egg . !

Jan. 1, 2017 

25 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm glad you were able to reach back over 20 years to find an example of this actually working. 

Devlin Hodges ( Unknown 3rd stringer for Pittsburgh )won his first start in 2019 vs P Rivers and the Chargers . Current enough for you ?  

WFT doesnt play a sport to any of those that matter (Snyder). Its about building brands and making money. Its a business like any other. Wendys, Cheetos, Pedigree. Just another brand name business soaking fools for money.

So when that chance of playoffs arises. Have to take it, and have to want it.

24 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Devlin Hodges ( Unknown 3rd stringer for Pittsburgh )won his first start in 2019 vs P Rivers and the Chargers . Current enough for you ?  

And where is he now? Practice Squad QB. Some people talking themselves into him being the future? Come on.