2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

I honestly like this offseason. It's not a sexy offseason, but it's good so far. I still feel like a trade is coming, but we'll see. It's a well balanced approach. 

I wanted KG, but Corey Davis is a really good pick up. 8th in PFF grades & 8th in passer rating when he's targeted. People have been asking for us to add speed forget that Mims ran a 4.38 in the combine. Mims can stretch the defenses if needed. I'm looking forward to seeing what those two can do in this scheme. I would like to see us fix the oline & RB positions but I know that's coming in the draft and upcoming cuts. 

On defense; Lawson is the big name but Joyner & J.Davis are interesting because of how Saleh placed people like them in his scheme. Joyner had a 90 rating at Safety at one point before being moved around and some people believe J.Davis wasn't being used correctly by the Lions. I don't expect pro-bowl level play, but I think they will be pretty good for us in this scheme. If we add Kneal at LB, this defense will be fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm on board for Sam + #2 pick rookie QB or #2 Rookie + Vet. I hate the Sam/Vet option. 

In order my preferred would be;

Wilson and Mariota

Fields and Mariota

Sam and Mariota

Sam and Smith

Wilson/Fields and Sam

If we go rookies at #2 I want to trade Sam for the best we can get. Nothing worse than having some Sam supporters and some Rookie supporters. Would divide the locker room even though Sam is a great kid. 

46 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm concerned about Isaiah Wilson right now. Something is definitely wrong. This isn't go after him post, something don't feel right here mental health wise. I hope he takes care of himself and earns another shot. 

Yeah it looks troubling no doubt. That video of him on the car is so concerning. Just hope he has people who can help him get right. 

1 minute ago, xenajets said:

In order my preferred would be;

Wilson and Mariota

Fields and Mariota

Sam and Mariota

Sam and Smith

Wilson/Fields and Sam

If we go rookies at #2 I want to trade Sam for the best we can get. Nothing worse than having some Sam supporters and some Rookie supporters. Would divide the locker room even though Sam is a great kid. 

Fans will be divided, but not the locker room. The only way to divide them is if the best player isn't playing. No one on the Chiefs said anything when they shipped Alex Smith out while he was still performing at a high level for Mahomes. Same for him and Kaepernick. They'll show support for their QB, but they all want to win. No one is willing to sink a season because they care about a QB feelings. 

I like Mariota but he only had one solid game last season. So if we pass on these QBs and Mariota/Darnold fail, we're going to be in a similar position like the Panthers are in this offseason. If Sam improves but doesn't light it up, now we have to decide if he's going to be worth $20M+ a year without back up plan or position to draft another QB. 

In the keep Sam/draft QB scenario; If Sam falls short, our franchise QB steps in sooner than expected. If Sam looks good, now his trade value goes up and we're looking at getting a 1st or 2nd for him going into next year's class. 

I like the idea of getting Mariota and drafting a QB as well, so I'm not against moving on from Sam. I'm just not in a rush to move him or move him if we draft a QB at #2. 

22 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Yeah it looks troubling no doubt. That video of him on the car is so concerning. Just hope he has people who can help him get right. 

I didn't see that video. I'll check it out. 

It feels like he has mentally checked out. If he gets help and he has the right mentor, I wouldn't mind revisiting the idea of picking him up later in the offseason or next season. He's not fighting players or being accused of abuse. The whole thing feels off. 

9 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Fans will be divided, but not the locker room. The only way to divide them is if the best player isn't playing. No one on the Chiefs said anything when they shipped Alex Smith out while he was still performing at a high level for Mahomes. Same for him and Kaepernick. They'll show support for their QB, but they all want to win. No one is willing to sink a season because they care about a QB feelings. 

I like Mariota but he only had one solid game last season. So if we pass on these QBs and Mariota/Darnold fail, we're going to be in a similar position like the Panthers are in this offseason. If Sam improves but doesn't light it up, now we have to decide if he's going to be worth $20M+ a year without back up plan or position to draft another QB. 

In the keep Sam/draft QB scenario; If Sam falls short, our franchise QB steps in sooner than expected. If Sam looks good, now his trade value goes up and we're looking at getting a 1st or 2nd for him going into next year's class. 

I like the idea of getting Mariota and drafting a QB as well, so I'm not against moving on from Sam. I'm just not in a rush to move him or move him if we draft a QB at #2. 

I have been in teams with similar circumstances. Obviously nothing as big as a qb in the NFL but the same things apply. I know what it’s like in a dressing room when guys are split in who they like and who they want playing. Hopefully that’s not the case but it’s just something that would concern me as BOTH guys want to be the future. Alex Smith knew he was on the way out for PM so it wasn’t as big of a deal where Sam will still feel at 23yrs old he should be the future. 

I mention Mariota because he’s my favourite FA qb left. I also wouldn’t mind Alex Msith either. Both options would not be the presumed starters just high level backups. 

9 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I didn't see that video. I'll check it out. 

It feels like he has mentally checked out. If he gets help and he has the right mentor, I wouldn't mind revisiting the idea of picking him up later in the offseason or next season. He's not fighting players or being accused of abuse. The whole thing feels off. 

Yeah I really don’t like seeing stuff like this. This guy has worked all his life to make it into the league and now he’s throwing it away. Like you said something about that is very disturbing because that’s not the actions of someone who’s mentally in the right place. Just hope he gets the help he needs and finds peace in whatever he does. Football or not it’s his mental health that should be the paramount focus for all concerned. 

1 minute ago, xenajets said:

I have been in teams with similar circumstances. Obviously nothing as big as a qb in the NFL but the same things apply. I know what it’s like in a dressing room when guys are split in who they like and who they want playing. Hopefully that’s not the case but it’s just something that would concern me as BOTH guys want to be the future. Alex Smith knew he was on the way out for PM so it wasn’t as big of a deal where Sam will still feel at 23yrs old he should be the future. 

I mention Mariota because he’s my favourite FA qb left. I also wouldn’t mind Alex Msith either. Both options would not be the presumed starters just high level backups. 

I understand what you're getting at, but as long as the best man is playing, the team will adapt. I just think passing up on a QB in this class is bigger risk than most think. 

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Yeah I really don’t like seeing stuff like this. This guy has worked all his life to make it into the league and now he’s throwing it away. Like you said something about that is very disturbing because that’s not the actions of someone who’s mentally in the right place. Just hope he gets the help he needs and finds peace in whatever he does. Football or not it’s his mental health that should be the paramount focus for all concerned. 

I agree 100%. I'll be watching him this summer just to see if the proper steps are taken. I would love to see someone who turned their mental health around like Brandon Marshall reach out to him. Marshall was in a really bad place before got help and now helps others. 

44 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I understand what you're getting at, but as long as the best man is playing, the team will adapt. I just think passing up on a QB in this class is bigger risk than most think. 

I agree 100%. I'll be watching him this summer just to see if the proper steps are taken. I would love to see someone who turned their mental health around like Brandon Marshall reach out to him. Marshall was in a really bad place before got help and now helps others. 

Sometimes though even if the best man is playing they may not be the ‘best man’ for certain individuals. Pure example; if Crowder (a known Sam favourite) didn’t get many looks from our rookie then he could create an issue within the locker room just because of his own aspirations and not exactly the team. JC seems a great guy I’m just using his name as a pure example. 

I would think there is programs in place for these young players. If there isn’t there certainly should be. Fingers crossed he gets the help and support he needs.  

Edit; oh and I’m all aboard drafting a qb at #2. Like 100%!!! I’m still unsure what JD will do though as I’m starting to think he sees the trade down options being maybe too good! Denver and Carolina should offer a bounty to get a qb. 

Edited by xenajets