The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

9 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

So. Let's pretend for a moment.

Ideal staff with Chip Kelly as HC? Do you keep any current coaches?

no doubt that Helfrich is his OC and he'll bring Jerry Azzinaro to be the DL coach 

the rest is up in the air - Chip runs a 3-4 so maybe they go after Grantham if Mullen jets. could also see them go after Tosh Lupoi (he'd be crazy to leave), Alex Grinch,  or John Chavis (more hybrid style). i also think we keep Shannon as the LB coach and Seider as the RB coach. 

31 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

LOL. A cold day in hell would happen first.

31 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

If we're turned down by Kelly, Stoops, Frost, Taggart, Norvell, Mullen, Miles, Strong, Campbell, Muschamp and Fuente, then Kiffin comes in play. He's like plan X. 

Just what I've been hearing along the rumor mill from boosters and Bull Gators. Not that they condone it either, but it's being mulled.

12 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

So. Let's pretend for a moment.

Ideal staff with Chip Kelly as HC? Do you keep any current coaches?

I imagine he'd bring Helfrich on as the OC and as for coaches that stay, I think Seider is sticking around. He's a top recruiter and he's got the young RB's playing good. Other than him, I could see Rumph and maybe Skipper, other than that I think everyone else is out. 

There's a lot to potentially interpret here, but the post linked a screenshot of a poster on a message board claiming, among other things, that Kelly to Florida was "basically a done deal" that will be signed shortly and that one of the problems "has been an ex AD who is still involved, and who does not want Chip, and is pushing for (Charlie) Strong."

Stricklin's response was the following:

"There is a lot of bad (i.e. incorrect) info out there, but this is a whole other level of bad info," he wrote.

Interpret that how you will, as Stricklin could be simply referring to the tidbit claiming that former athletics director Jeremy Foley is involved. Either way, the current Florida athletics director has now twice issued statements about bad information as rumors of Kelly swirl.

Though the team has floundered and is in the middle of a five-game losing streak, senior running back Mark Thompson made it clear he'd prefer to see interim coach Randy Shannontabbed for the gig full-time. Shannon has overseen the last two games since Jim McElwainand the program parted ways, suffering a 45-16 blowout at the hands of Missouri and a 28-20 setback at South Carolina.

Thompson explained that Shannon has simply inherited the mess McElwain left.

"He’s a great coach. I really wish they would just stop looking and just give him the head coaching job," Thompson said. "He knows what he’s doing. He got put in a tough spot. At the end of the season, for people to be not supporting him and not giving him the support that he needs and think that he’s doing a bad job, that’s not it."

Mark Thompson failed drug test incoming

“According to one source I’ve spoken to this morning, there has at least been some sort of verbal commitment that there won’t be an issue,” Heitner said on the radio appearance. “Based on that, if that one source is correct, again, we could see this become very fast-moving.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/report-florida-received-verbal-commitment-wont-issue-hiring-chip-kelly/amp

• Like 1