BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

They had a top 5 defense with Fangio and middle of the road offense. 

Was the offense meant to be better than middle of the road?

Mitch Trubisky throwing to Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller and Trey Burton isn't exactly the formula for a great offense. 

There are some valid criticisms which can be made about Nagy, but I don't think there's any reason to suggest being coached by him is some kind of substantial negative. Fields is in no worse a coaching p osition than the majority of quarterbacks who enter the league.

40 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Nagy has gone 12-4, 8-8 and 8-8 with Trubisky as his QB and a team that hasn't been exactly loaded with talent.

I wouldn't act as though he's some kind of major encumberance. 

Fields has been poor, but not any worse than you would expect out of a rookie QB with a pretty crappy OL.

Fields has been objectively bad for most of his games. How odd that Andy Dalton didn't have these kinds of struggles with the exact same offense and far less mobility.

38 minutes ago, MD4L said:

That team in his first year was elite. He’s never had an elite offense which suppose to be his calling card. He does get a lot of flak.

18 minutes ago, MD4L said:

They had a top 5 defense with Fangio and middle of the road offense. 

Your second post got it right. They were not a 12 win caliber team that first year, they just got lucky and played a lot of teams at just the right time.

Nagy's a bad coach, please stop defending him.

I'm much higher on Fields than @Blue is. I think you've seen the last 2 weeks the talent, ball placement, athleticism, and arm strength. He's got a garbage offensive line, and Nagy is absolutely a horrendous HC. His weapons (aside from Robinson, who looks complete disinterested) are lousy as well as having a "meh" at best to outright bad running game.

I'd love to see what a new HC and revamped OL does in Chicago with Fields here over the next few seasons. I think seeing the progression from the beginning of the year to the last two games is very encouraging for those (like me) who think Fields is a good young quarterback prospect.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

The amount of blatant tanking going on in this league right now is a special kind of pathetic. If you don't have any interest in trying to compete and putting in the effort, let someone who does take over rhe team and stop wasting time. Yep, I said it and tbh, I am all out of $#%!'s to give 

I'm not sure who you're talking to, but when it comes to us, I mean, we suck because we don't have the horses. We're still game-planning and going through the process; we just can't win without an OL, weapons on the offensive side, and the injuries to key positions. We even tried to make some trade deadline move and didn't get any takers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

The amount of blatant tanking going on in this league right now is a special kind of pathetic. If you don't have any interest in trying to compete and putting in the effort, let someone who does take over rhe team and stop wasting time. Yep, I said it and tbh, I am all out of $#%!'s to give 

As a reminder to everyone, I'm available to write guest game plans if anyone's busy and/or needs a week off. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm much higher on Fields than @Blue is. I think you've seen the last 2 weeks the talent, ball placement, athleticism, and arm strength. He's got a garbage offensive line, and Nagy is absolutely a horrendous HC. His weapons (aside from Robinson, who looks complete disinterested) are lousy as well as having a "meh" at best to outright bad running game.

I'd love to see what a new HC and revamped OL does in Chicago with Fields here over the next few seasons. I think seeing the progression from the beginning of the year to the last two games is very encouraging for those (like me) who think Fields is a good young quarterback prospect.

I disagree a bit.  I think Robinson, Mooney, Kmet, Montgomery, and Herbert is a pretty good group of weapons.  The IOL for the Bears is also solid.  

The OTs are playing awful and Nagy is not a good HC.  I think a new HC more willing to do what Fields is good at, upgrades at OT, and another WR for when Robinson leaves this offseason, and I think the Bears offense could surprise next year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I disagree a bit.  I think Robinson, Mooney, Kmet, Montgomery, and Herbert is a pretty good group of weapons.  The IOL for the Bears is also solid.  

The OTs are playing awful and Nagy is not a good HC.  I think a new HC more willing to do what Fields is good at, upgrades at OT, and another WR for when Robinson leaves this offseason, and I think the Bears offense could surprise next year.

Like I said, I don't think they're as awful as many think, but if you were to name the best _______ units in the NFL for RB/WR weapons at a QB's disposal, how many do you get to before you get to Chicago?

Serious question.

I'm taking all 4 AFC North squads (minus MAYBE Baltimore), All 4 AFC West Squads, a healthy Titans team, the Colts, Dallas, the Giants, the Vikings, the Packers, 3 of the 4 NFC West Teams, the Bucs, the Falcons, probably the Panthers (when healthy)...

So I count 20 teams before I personally consider Chicago.

35 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Nice Berlin plug. Remember the awful Bears OT play when voting on my game. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, wwhickok said:

3 Down Prediction

Ivory Coast

RB Ezekial Elliot 2/$9,500
OT Andrew Whitworth 2/$6,000
CB Patrick Peterson 3/$9,199

1/3 accurate I think.

Patrick Peterson may be the only real candidate, and that's based more on the development of my corners than him being terrible, though I admit he's overpaid.

Elliott I'm not sure I would want or need to cut him unless my cap ends up being a lot tighter than anticipated, even with the upcoming Chubb 3-up. Similarly, Whitworth is worth that salary if he continues to play at a high level, and I'm not quite as ready to transition tackles as I am with corners. That being said, I think Elliott is probably more likely than Whitworth.

I don't always need to use all my 3-downs, this past year I only used two and next year could be the case as well. Just depends on how things shake out.

There's one other candidate that I thought stuck out as a 3-down candidate that I'm considering. And then there's hoping Newton doesn't sign and play anywhere this season so I can just let him go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm not sure who you're talking to, but when it comes to us, I mean, we suck because we don't have the horses. We're still game-planning and going through the process; we just can't win without an OL, weapons on the offensive side, and the injuries to key positions. We even tried to make some trade deadline move and didn't get any takers. 

I am not talking to you two that I promise.  There are several teams in the league that are doing everything they can to compete and they just don't have a team good enough. Which is what you are describing but not what I am referring to

• Like 1