Jaguars to hire Urban Meyer as HC

.Buzz

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I like Saleh but I'm not gonna lie, the idea of needing a new OC every year or two with Lawrence seems less than ideal.

I can see that and him being tied to the Shanahan circle isn't exactly ideal because its going to take some time for the new assistants to really find themselves as coaches. I just see him as a good hire and not a great one. I'm torn. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I can see that and him being tied to the Shanahan circle isn't exactly ideal because its going to take some time for the new assistants to really find themselves as coaches. I just see him as a good hire and not a great one. I'm torn. 

I think you should be happy.

I will say though, the report from Allbright that JD likes Darnold and thinks Saleh can mend the issues is worrisome though.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I think you should be happy.

I will say though, the report from Allbright that JD likes Darnold and thinks Saleh can mend the issues is worrisome though.

I'm not against keeping Darnold but I dont want to just hand him the job this season either. As for Saleh, idk he just doesn't do it for me especially after everything I learned about Staley. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

I'm not against keeping Darnold but I dont want to just hand him the job this season either. As for Saleh, idk he just doesn't do it for me especially after everything I learned about Staley. 

Staley is likely going to have an interesting time with his staff.

Saleh has a highly viewed young offensive mind attached. What he did with a unit so beat up this year and his way of going about things scream HC. Think that's important.

Saleh is def the better candidate at this point in time imo.

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

😂😂

He's not wrong.

It's hilarious how these national guys are trying to report on this. They clearly have no inside info/idea where Urban is with things and are just throwing stuff at the wall.

Chargers job didn't randomly open. Garafolo mentioned his grandkids/cozy job at FOX as to why he'd pass. Now he jumps on Ian's report/acts like that was part of the equation? Why wouldn't that have been mentioned yesterday?

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Staley is likely going to have an interesting time with his staff.

Saleh has a highly viewed young offensive mind attached. What he did with a unit so beat up this year and his way of going about things scream HC. Think that's important.

Saleh is def the better candidate at this point in time imo.

But he also coached two very poor units his first two years as a DC, Jets fans would have called for his head fielding that type of defense.

I do agree that we dont know for sure what Staley can/will do with building an offensive staff but from the way he sees the game I dont think he'll have a hard time finding the guy he likes, its more about convincing him to join the staff. I think defensively he has enough connections to get guys into the building. 

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

But he also coached two very poor units his first two years as a DC, Jets fans would have called for his head fielding that type of defense.

I do agree that we dont know for sure what Staley can/will do with building an offensive staff but from the way he sees the game I dont think he'll have a hard time finding the guy he likes, its more about convincing him to join the staff. I think defensively he has enough connections to get guys into the building. 

I mean, Shanny hasn't always had amazing offenses his entire career either (same goes for any coordinator that may lack talent/be just getting started). Feel like there's a lot that goes into it, and coordinating one side of the ball is only part of the equation. Staley has the best DL and DB in the league and a slew of other talented pieces. He's used them super well, but he isn't bringing potentially the best defensive lineman ever and best corner in the league with him.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, Shanny hasn't always had amazing offenses his entire career either (same goes for any coordinator that may lack talent/be just getting started). Feel like there's a lot that goes into it, and coordinating one side of the ball is only part of the equation. Staley has the best DL and DB in the league and a slew of other talented pieces. 

But that same DL and DB didn't field a top defense before his arrival and they lost a ton of talent as well. He made those new guys better and made that defense better overall. 

You guys think Meyer is leveraging you? I feel like if he either goes to LA or just stays retired you guys will pivot and throw the house at Saleh and if I'm Saleh knowing how bad the Jets want me but also knowing the Lions and Jags are a possibility I would wait and get as much money/power as possible. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

But that same DL and DB didn't field a top defense before his arrival and they lost a ton of talent as well. He made those new guys better and made that defense better overall. 

You guys think Meyer is leveraging you? I feel like if he either goes to LA or just stays retired you guys will pivot and throw the house at Saleh and if I'm Saleh knowing how bad the Jets want me but also knowing the Lions and Jags are a possibility I would wait and get as much money/power as possible. 

Yeah, but I think that's more on the previous DC than it is Staley. That defense has always been arguably/if not the most talented unit in the league, especially with Donald setting up everyone on that DL to feast.

He's a good coordinator, he seems like a bright guy, but idk that I'd feel comfortable giving him the keys to the team and assembling a staff. That's just me though.

I think he's leveraging to get more $. But I also think the national media has zero idea what's happening so they're throwing random thoughts at the wall. It's Urban and they need to talk about him potentially coming to the league.

As far as Saleh, no one knows if he tops the list after Urban or not. We know we like him, and he's a legit option, but that's about it.