Jaguars to hire Urban Meyer as HC

.Buzz

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

Baalke sure does love his college HCs. He batting .500 right now on them. Florio has definitely been pretty convinced on Urban landing here for a while. He predicted that Meyer to us would be the first hire of this cycle.

Hope his sources are legit. 

If Baalke was our GM hire with pretty much anyone else I'd be less than thrilled due to the fact as I said, seems like his temperament and HC hires have been less than stellar. But with this being more of an Urban hire/who he wants to pair up with it's whatever.

Think his eye for talent is fine looking through his draft classes. Nothing amazing, but also had decent drafts considering where he was picking. I expect Urban to have plenty of say in that process as well.

Still holding out hope on Fontenot, Rick Smith, etc. but again, if it means Urban than so be it.

2 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Morris and Farmer were just Rooney Rule consideration neither had a realistic shot at landing the Jags job. 

We interviewed Saleh and Bienimy as well as Fontenot, Riddick, and Rick Smith. They weren't Rooney Rule guys.

5 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Morris and Farmer were just Rooney Rule consideration neither had a realistic shot at landing the Jags job. 

CBS had a report that Farmer would be the GM under Urban. The other names thrown around were Baalke, Fontenot, and the recruiter at Ohio State (forgot his name). It was probably unlikely, but Farmer even having a remote shot scared me.

Maybe I'm in the denial stage of grief, but I can't help but feel that there's much more to this than what we know. Seems unlikely to me that Shad is just letting us get set up for an optics disaster by the media if he doesn't have a good feel on things. At this point, Urban turning us down and us "settling" on our second candidate would be extremely embarrassing for both the franchise and for our actual future coach. You would think we would have someone from inside leaking to the media some alternate info........

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

Maybe I'm in the denial stage of grief, but I can't help but feel that there's much more to this than what we know. Seems unlikely to me that Shad is just letting us get set up for an optics disaster by the media if he doesn't have a good feel on things. At this point, Urban turning us down and us "settling" on our second candidate would be extremely embarrassing for both the franchise and for our actual future coach. You would think we would have someone from inside leaking to the media some alternate info........

At this point I'm getting the feeling they're trying to get their ducks in a row/setup the GM situation prior to announcing.

Only thing I can come up with given the fact we haven't had a HC interview since Sunday night and we just had an abrupt interview with a guy linked to Urban in Fontenot yesterday.

45 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

we just had an abrupt interview with a guy linked to Urban in Fontenot yesterday.

I did see it reported that we requested to speak with him a week prior. So it was just under the radar, but he had been on their list for at least a little while.

I do hope we’re right about this just being a holding pattern to finish off things, because stopping like we have could turn out terribly if this falls through. If the Jets finish up a deal with Saleh in the next couple days and some other teams spent the last week getting handshake deals in place with Daboll and Bienamy or whatever, we could very quickly end up with out 5th choice being the guy who comes here in spite of being the most attractive landing spot, simply because all the other coaches moved on after assuming we were going with Meyer. It’d be a great way to get the classic Jaguars choice of the one guy that nobody else took in spite of how exciting the job actually is. 

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

I did see it reported that we requested to speak with him a week prior. So it was just under the radar, but he had been on their list for at least a little while.

I do hope we’re right about this just being a holding pattern to finish off things, because stopping like we have could turn out terribly if this falls through. If the Jets finish up a deal with Saleh in the next couple days and some other teams spent the last week getting handshake deals in place with Daboll and Bienamy or whatever, we could very quickly end up with out 5th choice being the guy who comes here in spite of being the most attractive landing spot, simply because all the other coaches moved on after assuming we were going with Meyer. It’d be a great way to get the classic Jaguars choice of the one guy that nobody else took in spite of how exciting the job actually is. 

Sounds like Arthur Smith may be in our top 3 after Urban/with Saleh fwiw. Pauline reported we liked him a lot a couple weeks back and although Dilla may be trolling, he's indicated similar.