Biggs: Pace on shaky ground

WindyCity

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Considering not one Bears' QB has been consistent in the last 30 years clearly the bar isn't so low...I trust pace as an evaluator to give him a 2nd chance at it. 

Bears incompetence is not a reason to keep someone around.

Your trust is misplaced. No amount of 3rd day safety talent will account for his miss at QB.

20 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Ownership always has veto power.  This is why I want to bring in a president of football ops who is going to tell Pace (or Pace as president telling the new GM) her is the budget.  This is what you can spend in FA.  This is what we want for draft capital at the end of the year.  No you cant mortgage the future to go get Trey Lance or Zach Wilson.  We need to be ready to clean sweep this thing next year if we need to.  I'm not saying to handcuff your GM, I'm saying you give him the parameters in which he can operate and then give him free reign to do so.

If you need to neuter your GM, then you should probably fire him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Stop making the same damn mistakes! A new regime right now would be extremely handcuffed.  It only makes sense to give Pace/Nagy one more year to turn things around and let them both live or die on the bed they created instead of practically wasting 1 or 2 years of their replacement's time trying to play clean-up duty as we have done for the last 50 years.  And if they can't make it happen next year, then fine, simply erase the board and start all over in 2022.  

2022 also coincides with the time when most of the big contracts from the Pace regime would expire anyhow (or at worse become easy to maneuver around) so the new regime can start working on the rebuild immediately and it won't take them 2 years to clean the board.  In 2022, we will have a rough estimate of ~70M in cap space to work with at the start, based on current contracts and other factors,  along with the ability to create even more space if need be. <<< This is a GREAT starting point for a new regime. 

We would owe nothing more to Mack at the end of 2021, who will be 31 years old and can be traded or released to create an additional 16M in cap space.  Hick's contract expires at the end of 2021.  Trevathan will be 33 and can be traded or released for a measly 2M hit at the end of 2021.  Quinn can finally be released at the end of 2021 without having to take a hit and would create 7M more in cap space.  Kyle Fuller's last big pay year comes at the end of 2021 and will only be 30 going into the 2022 season. Whitehair, same thing.  Goldman's last big pay year comes at the end of 2021 and he will only be 29 going into the 2022 season. Massie can be released at any time starting this year without taking a hit, and the same with Leno. 

As far as 2021, we have some solid pieces to build around in all 3 phases. With another good draft and some good offseason moves then I see no reason why we couldn't be a 10-12 win team next season.  Focus on offense built around Monty, Kmet, Mooney, Whitehair, Daniels, Mustipher, Ifedi, and HOPEFULLY Arob--- if that door is still open that is. 

As of 2021 we do not have a QB nor do we have a good solution at QB.

If you want to keep Pace and Nagy for 2021, but keep 2022 cap space and picks in tact, you need to prepare yourself for very few quality additions. The Bears have little cap space this season and the 20th pick.

Why limit yourself in 2021 to have Pace limp to 2022?

Just now, WindyCity said:

If you need to neuter your GM, then you should probably fire him.

That's not neutering the GM.  Every business has parameters in which a department or team must operate.  And every CEO has veto power over any decision his management team makes.  That's business.  At the end of the day, that's what it is, a business.

50 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

And what happens when, with 1 year left to keep his job, Ryan Pace gives out another Robert Quinn type contract? If you give him another offseason, he's not going to sit on his hands and keep the books clean for 2022.

We can play the 'what if' game all day long.  I'll stick with what we actually know.  Besides, he doesn't have much to work with.  At worst he manipulates the cap like he has done several times and those are easy fixes....which is why every other GM does it. 

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That's not neutering the GM.  Every business has parameters in which a department or team must operate.  And every CEO has veto power over any decision his management team makes.  That's business.  At the end of the day, that's what it is, a business.

Those parameters are going to limit what he can do in 2021, probably significantly.

Why not bring in a GM who actually has the freedom and job security to make all the moves available to him?

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We can play the 'what if' game all day long.  I'll stick with what we actually know.  Besides, he doesn't have much to work with.  At worst he manipulates the cap like he has done several times and those are easy fixes....which is why every other GM does it. 

His cap manipulation is why we are sitting here with a bottom 5 cap situation.

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That's not why....but go off if you think it fits your agenda.  

It is. Why else would our cap situation be bad?

Your default when you do not actually have an argument is to yell agenda and narrative.

He has backloaded a ton of deals, he has restructured deals and pushed money into future years, and now we are stuck with little available cap space and a #1 WR we almost cannot afford to tag.

Edited by WindyCity

9 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

While the Bears don't have much room for additions, Pace could easily turn short-term commitments into long-term commitments like he did with Floyd and Quinn. The biggest candidates are Leno, Massie, and Skrine. Cutting them would allow Pace to give out a lot of future money.

I just don't think we're going to see a clean slate in 2022. If you give Pace another offseason, he's going to spend the money. That's his job.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

It is. Why else would our cap situation be bad?

Your default when you do not actually have an argument is to yell agenda and narrative.

He has backloaded a ton of deals, he has restructured deals and pushed money into future years, and now we are stuck with little available cap space and a #1 WR we almost cannot afford to tag.

Not at all. Just calling a spade a spade. You like to use anything and everything to point at Pace while ignoring all positives. 

GMs can push money back without it hurting much in the future, which again, is exactly why all GMs do it. 

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Those parameters are going to limit what he can do in 2021, probably significantly.

Why not bring in a GM who actually has the freedom and job security to make all the moves available to him?

I would give a new GM the same parameters.  This competitive window is closing.  The Bears realistically have 1 more year with this team as its constructed.  No matter who the GM is they have to be prepared to sweep it all away after 2021

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

Not at all. Just calling a spade a spade. You like to use anything and everything to point at Pace while ignoring all positives. 

GMs can push money back without it hurting much in the future, which again, is exactly why all GMs do it. 

Eventually it hurts you.

It is hurting us this year. 

Pace needs to do it again this offseason, but in your ill-conceived plan you are not allowing him to, which pretty much kills their 2021 cap situation.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

While the Bears don't have much room for additions, Pace could easily turn short-term commitments into long-term commitments like he did with Floyd and Quinn. The biggest candidates are Leno, Massie, and Skrine. Cutting them would allow Pace to give out a lot of future money.

I just don't think we're going to see a clean slate in 2022. If you give Pace another offseason, he's going to spend the money. That's his job.

I just don't see much room for him to move that would cripple the new regime. 

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I would give a new GM the same parameters.  This competitive window is closing.  The Bears realistically have 1 more year with this team as its constructed.  No matter who the GM is they have to be prepared to sweep it all away after 2021

A new GM will be here for 4-5 years. The contracts they sign guys to in 2021 they will be here to deal with later on.

I prefer my GMs without strict restrictions imposed because of there incompetence.