Biggs: Pace on shaky ground

WindyCity

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It just wasn't tho...of anything top to bottom it was one of the best in the NFL.

Agreed.

The only bad thing about that draft so far is having traded a 4th for Foles which could have been used on fortifying the OL.

14 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

This is WHY it was a putrid draft. 

Pace traded all sorts of stuff to acquire both Trubisky and Mack. This last draft should NOT have been about building for the future. It should have been about helping to secure a Super Bowl run RIGHT NOW. An offensive lineman. Or two! Another dynamic offensive playmaker! 

Nope. The draft was putrid. And there's no way to sugarcoat putrid. 

Lol cmon Heinz because of two other picks..one being a 5th round and another a 7th round pick? You're not going to hit a homerun on every pick especially the late round ones.

I agree with you on drafting more offensive linemen but they tried to add dynamic offensive playmakers in both Kmet and Mooney and it looks like those two picks are pretty good ones

Edited by topwop1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

For me a lot of this isn't spin rather fact...how many teams with such bad QB play go three years without having a losing record in today's NFL? Very very few...some focus so much on the big thing Pace clearly got wrong in the QB they forget what he walked into and just how good this team could be if we get even consistently good QB play let alone great QB play...I don't think this team is that far away from being very good for a long time if we can keep the core together and add that consistent QB play...no that is a big if no doubt...but I would still be willing to give Pace the chance to find it...

If we do go after Borgonzi then I don't think it would be a terrible move even tho I would rather stick with Pace because we wouldn't be completely blowing up the concepts of what we are trying to draft for.

Why should anyone trust Pace to provide consistent QB play?

That is a low bar that he has failed to meet for his entire tenure here.

Pace is nothing short of an abject failure at even securing average QB play.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Lol cmon Heinz because of two other picks..one being a 5th round and another a 7th round pick? You're not going to hit a homerun on every pick especially the late round ones.

I agree with you on drafting more offensive linemen but they tried to add dynamic offensive playmakers in both Kmet and Mooney and it looks like those two picks are pretty good ones

Show me any site, or publication, that had that draft graded higher than a "C". 

Give me any compelling evidence that draft helped push the Bears into contention this year. 

57 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

If getting rid of Pace means going forward with the scenario I described the other day--fire Phillips, fire Pace, make some big name CEO, and Nagy President, with everybody agreeing on the next GM--BRING ON THE "MATT NAGY VANITY PROJECT"! 

You honestly think Pace was the one stabilizing the offensive playcalling, and getting Montgomery more involved? 

I can see why you would say Nagy and Pace should be linked. If that's the case, fire them both. 

That would be replacing Pace, on a practical level. Unless they're going to give Pace absolute power. 

He needs all sorts of better decisions. The Jackson contract is looking to be one of the worst in Bears history. 

Ryan was simply repeating what was the consensus of scouts (etc.) at the time. We've been over that repeatedly. Let's not sail off into goofy waters. @WindyCity dislikes Pace for any number of reasons besides missing on Trubisky. As do I. Last year's draft was putrid. 

They will get crushed by NO. You can bet the farm on that. I also see little evidence that Nagy has had a "big hand" in playcalling, even with Lazor holding the computer tablet. If he has, he's done a total re-think on how he calls plays...

Rapoport tweeted yesterday that Nagy has become more involved in the playcalling

• Like 1

Why I don’t like Pace not named Trubiksy

-He built a super expensive defense in an age of offense and we know defenses are unstable year to year.

-Consistently failed to build an OL good enough to support a young QB.

-Has wasted a ton of money in free agency  on injured or bad players.

-Has been bad in the early rounds of the draft.

-His 2020 free agency period was spectacular in its terribleness and its damage to the future caps.

-Way to loose with draft picks #convicition.

-Appears to bid against himself in free agency and in trades.

Edited by WindyCity

Pace couldn’t find a good QB with the 2nd pick in the draft, in a draft that had 2 elite QBs in it.

He even traded up 1 spot to make sure he didn’t get stuck with one of the elite QBs.

Now we expect him to find one with the 20th pick and likely 5-7 teams ahead of him wanting QBs? Call me skeptical.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Pace couldn’t find a good QB with the 2nd pick in the draft, in a draft that had 2 elite QBs in it.

He even traded up 1 spot to make sure he didn’t get stuck with one of the elite QBs.

Now we expect him to find one with the 20th pick and likely 5-7 teams ahead of him wanting QBs? Call me skeptical.

You're sugarcoating things. 

When faced with evidence that he chose the wrong QB in that 2017 draft, Pace turned around AND DID NOTHING. No third round pick the next year. Just in case. Not even a seventh round pick. And that continued all the way up to last year, when they eventually did a desperation grab for Foles. When...he easily could have traded up and got Jordan Love. 

Pathetic. 

23 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Show me any site, or publication, that had that draft graded higher than a "C". 

Give me any compelling evidence that draft helped push the Bears into contention this year. 

I don't know who they could have drafted that would have put them into "contention" this year given where they were picking. If we had a shot at one of the top QBs such as Herbert then sure maybe but we didn't.

I'm not going to argue draft grades when we all know those mean didly squat. That's all subjective.

It's all about how the players develop and what they actually become and so far so good from most of this recent class.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Why I don’t like Pace not named Trubiksy

-He built a super expensive defense in an age of offense and we know defenses are unstable year to year.

-Consistently failed to build an OL good enough to support a young QB.

-Has wasted a ton of money in free agency  on injured or bad players.

-Has been bad in the early rounds of the draft.

-His 2020 free agency period was spectacular in its terribleness and its damage to the future caps.

-Way to loose with draft picks #convicition.

-Appears to bid against himself in free agency and in trades.

These are all good reasons to fire him and I think most people would agree with that.

I don't think we should underestimate how ownership feels with constantly losing to the Packers year in year out and knowing that the team could have had a HOF QB in Mahomes to be able to go head to head with Rodgers.

I said it that another loss to the Packers could be the death blow for some.

Now imagine if the team manages to beat NO and then go on to lose to GB for a third time?

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

These are all good reasons to fire him and I think most people would agree with that.

I don't think we should underestimate how ownership feels with constantly losing to the Packers year in year out and knowing that the team could have had a HOF QB in Mahomes to be able to go head to head with Rodgers.

I said it that another loss to the Packers could be the death blow for some.

Now imagine if the team manages to beat NO and then go on to lose to GB for a third time?

It may be the most costly miss in our Bears lifetime.

The fact that he was so sure that Mitch was better than Watson and Mahomes he felt he needed to move up to make sure he got him, that is incompetence of a unique level

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

This is WHY it was a putrid draft. 

Pace traded all sorts of stuff to acquire both Trubisky and Mack. This last draft should NOT have been about building for the future. It should have been about helping to secure a Super Bowl run RIGHT NOW. An offensive lineman. Or two! Another dynamic offensive playmaker! 

Nope. The draft was putrid. And there's no way to sugarcoat putrid. 

i mean, pace did technically draft 2 lineman, a dynamic playmaker in mooney and potentially another one in kmet, and a CB that looks like he will be very good for a long time. what you're asking for is a draft where we have 5 picks in the top 50. tbh, i think pace did a pretty good job for what he had, albiet he created what he had, and i am overall pretty happy with this years draft picks. 

side note, gipson was much more noticeable yesterday, and almost got home on a sack. i look forward to his continued development