2017 FF Soccer Draft Vote Semi: Roysmyboy vs Nick

amac

Vote on who you think would win the matchup. To vote post in the thread and specify who you think would win in bold. Anyone can vote, but votes for your own team won't count. Explanations encouraged

Roysmyboy

vIlBjqj.png

vs

NickChowaniec

vgYtePs.png

roy writeup:

I feel it is important for a team to be strong down the center and I think that is reflected in my team.  At the back, I have the best goalkeeper in the world in Manuel Neuer, who in addition to being elite at all the traditional goalkeeping traits, is also capable of quickly starting transitions from defense to attack and is the poster child for the "sweeper keeper" style, almost operating as an extra outfield player at times.  With my defense, I paired one of the best CBs in the world with a youngster who is quickly ascending.  Together, I think I have a pairing that is strong in the tackle, good in aerial duels, and comfortable on the ball.  And Matic provides additional defensive support in the midfield.

With Bliase Matuidi, I have him as my box-to-box mid who can serve as a link between defense and attack and doesn't look out of place at either end of the pitch.   His presence combined with Matic and my CBs allow my two FBs to bomb forward and I have two attack minded FBs that love to get forward (In Marcelo's case, arguably the best in the world at his position)

Robert Lewandowski will serve as my focal point in attack with his strong finishing and ability at holding up play and linking with his teammates.  Draxler will serve as a traditional winger with Silva being the player pulling the strings in the center (though I imagine my formation to be pretty fluid up top).  In the case of Thomas Muller, Bellerin providing width on the right can allow Muller to drift into more central channels and combine with the other forward players.  He's been known throughout his career as a goalscorer and while it has dried up for him a bit recently, he still puts himself in position to get chances and is underrated as a passer.  One of the most overlooked parts of his game is his intelligence.  His positioning and the timing of his runs frees up space for his teammates to operate him and also allows him to "ghost" into dangerous areas.

Attack- Giving Nick the edge

Midfield- Veratti>Matuidi, Silva>Ozil, and would give Matic the edge over Nzonzi. Overall I like the creativity in Nick's a bit more

CB- I'll take Hummels/Bailly over Silva/Glik

FB- About even

GK- Roy

On the whole I'm giving Nick a close victory here. Roys team would be tough to break down but I think Veratti, Ozil, Dembele, Bale and Kane is really nice going forward and it's pretty close everywhere else but GK.

This one is more difficult to me.  I think Roy has the better GK and CBs and I prefer his midfield trio slightly more than Nicks.  Nick's FBs are better and his front 3 far more dynamic and would give Roys defence more trouble of the two forward lines.

Overall I'm going to go with Nick in a close win

Archived