General Wild Card Round Week Thread

DannyB

To be clear I have said all along (here, not months ago) that the current judgement is pending this upcoming game.

He might run for 90 and a score, throw for 270 and 3 scores and win by 17 this weekend.

Playing in the playoffs is rough. Peyton Manning struggled to do it well his entire career outside of about 8 games. (he played 27 of them)

Jackson owns his current label until he doesn't.

I am excited to see what he does and even if I may not want the Ravens to win this week I am fine if he has a good game.

Does it really matter if Lamar gets labeled a playoff choker? It isn't like he is going to lose his job. He'll still sign a massive contract and be the starter for the Ravens even if he loses 7 straight playoff starts where he doesn't look especially good.

It also matters what your persona is. I think most will give Allen a pass with a bad game this week but many won't do the same for Mayfield. Lamar is flamboyant and he will get more criticism than someone like Watson under the same circumstances.

I also agree with the good game in a tough loss not really hurting a QB's legacy.

• Rodgers' first game was a loss but he was dynamite.
  • Alex Smith has 14 TDs, 2 picks, and a 97.4 rating in the playoffs but his record is 2-5.
    • It also helps that the 1 win was first and it was a shootout over Drew Brees
      • I highly recommend watching that 4th quarter
    • Not many people kill him for losing after 2 Kyle Williams specials in 2011 or losing 45-44 to Luck.
    • He struggled against Pittsburgh for sure, and people know that.

Lamar's persona is complicated.

• He was not treated fairly to start
    • The 2019 MVP was drafted at the end of round 1?
      • Josh Rosen went 22 picks ahead of him!
    • Polian told him to play WR
    • People called him a RB
      • This varies a lot from insult to pointing out that he still has room to improve as a passer (but some of it is nastiness)

The problem is he very publicly overreacted to it so instead of it just being a good story its also got that "dude, let it go" vibe as well.

Its very hard to distinguish between

• Look Ma, I made it
  • I proved you wrong
  • Pride before a fall

I enjoy watching him play. I think he's like a lot of young QBs (playing well but can still get better)

• I just don't think he belongs near Mahomes yet. (even if he very clearly won that 2019 MVP)

Josh Allen is in the same boat if he is terrible tomorrow (he was pretty awful last year and lost to BOB of all people)

20 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Lamar's persona is complicated

• The 2019 MVP was drafted at the end of round 1?
    • Josh Rosen went 22 picks ahead of him!
    • People called him a RB
      • This varies a lot from insult to pointing out that he still has room to improve as a passer (but some of it is nastiness)

He was drafted late because he was viewed more of a weapon than a consistent passer.

Rosen was viewed as a much better passer.

People still call him a RB.

If Lamar didn't prove to be dynamic as a runner, it happens sometimes in the conversion from college, then he was drafted too high. Unfortunately for me as a fan of another team in the AFCN he has proven to be the best running QB of all time which works great to keep drives alive and to open up a lot in the passing game. Without knowing how well he would do as a runner in the NFL I don't think he was drafted too low. It worked for RGIII for a year until he got hurt so that as a reference would keep you from investing in a similar style QB. Now that we've seen it succeed for a few years with Lamar teams will be more likely to take that gamble again.

Edited by Thomas5737

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Lamar IS the Ravens.

I feel his playoff criticism is kinda unfair. You replace him with anybody that hasn’t won a MVP and the Ravens are scraping for 3rd in the AFC North.

This is probably not the best comp, but Lamar has a Lebron effect where I think he makes guys look better than what they actually are. So unfortunately, it’s not a coincidence that when teams focus purely on Lamar, the “role players” look bad.

His playoff criticism is fair to me because he's one of the main reasons the team has lost in the playoffs.

I know you're a huge NBA fan and you brought up LeBron. To me, LeBron is a great example of someone who has lost in the Finals 6 times, but I don't really put any of those losses on him except for 2011 vs the Mavericks. The reason is LeBron was like the main reason the Heat lost that series. It's one thing to play really well and lose (almost all of LeBron's playoff losses), but it's an entirely different thing to be one of the main contributing factors to your team losing, which Lamar Jackson has been both times.

When you're the MVP of the league (you're the best player in the league that season), people expect you to play well in the playoffs. That's why Giannis is taking heat right now in the NBA. It's totally fair.

The only hesitation with Jackson is that it's only been two games, so to me that's probably the only unfair thing about it.

• Like 1

No trash talk yet in this thread huh?

Alright I’ll start it off.

Hey Tennessee fans - went to a bachelor party in Nashville a year ago. Couldn’t believe how overrated the food was.

Hit all the staples too. The BBQ was dry and cold and the hot chicken sandwiches were a bottom 5 spicy chicken sandwich i’ve ever had. 

Come On GIF by HBO Max

15 hours ago, showtime said:

His playoff criticism is fair to me because he's one of the main reasons the team has lost in the playoffs.

I know you're a huge NBA fan and you brought up LeBron. To me, LeBron is a great example of someone who has lost in the Finals 6 times, but I don't really put any of those losses on him except for 2011 vs the Mavericks. The reason is LeBron was like the main reason the Heat lost that series. It's one thing to play really well and lose (almost all of LeBron's playoff losses), but it's an entirely different thing to be one of the main contributing factors to your team losing, which Lamar Jackson has been both times.

When you're the MVP of the league (you're the best player in the league that season), people expect you to play well in the playoffs. That's why Giannis is taking heat right now in the NBA. It's totally fair.

The only hesitation with Jackson is that it's only been two games, so to me that's probably the only unfair thing about it.

You understand our receivers were Seth Roberts who couldn’t even make the Panthers roster this year and a rookie Marquise Brown for that game right? Look how different Josh Allen looks with Diggs. I’d like to see Lamar with even a top 32 wide out on his team.

the playoff narrative is stupid. Lamar carries outmatched offences to wins all year then we run into an actual complete team and lose. That’s football. To put that all on Lamar is just ESPN talking.. 53 guys play a football game. Last year against the Titans the Ravens lost as a team 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

I've only begun following the NFL, so excuse any potential ignorance that I may be showing by asking this but, Is there any way in the way the NFL schedules the playoffs, that all of the NFC teams can just beat each other and cancel each other out, and the Packers are automatically in the Super Bowl before the week is over? That would be great. Oh also can all of the AFC teams do that so the Packers just win the SB? Is that a thing?

PinkBag.jpg

2 hours ago, DannyB said:

I've only begun following the NFL, so excuse any potential ignorance that I may be showing by asking this but, Is there any way in the way the NFL schedules the playoffs, that all of the NFC teams can just beat each other and cancel each other out, and the Packers are automatically in the Super Bowl before the week is over? That would be great. Oh also can all of the AFC teams do that so the Packers just win the SB? Is that a thing?

It's happened before, 10 times in fact. 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996 and 2010

19 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

No trash talk yet in this thread huh?

Alright I’ll start it off.

Hey Tennessee fans - went to a bachelor party in Nashville a year ago. Couldn’t believe how overrated the food was.

Hit all the staples too. The BBQ was dry and cold and the hot chicken sandwiches were a bottom 5 spicy chicken sandwich i’ve ever had. 

Come On GIF by HBO Max

All the playoff teams are stupid. Working when they could be vacation like mine. How dumb are yall!

kill me

• Like 1

If division winner seeding priority had been removed, the seedings for the playoff teams would have been

AFC:
1. KC
2. BUF
3. PIT
4. BAL (3-1 VS. CLE, IND, TEN)
5. CLE (2-2 VS. BAL, IND, TEN, beat TEN)
6. TEN (2-2 VS. BAL, CLE, IND)
7. IND (1-3 VS. BAL, CLE, TEN)

AFC Wild Card Games:
IND at BUF
TEN at PIT
CLE at BAL

NFC:
1. GB
2. NO
3. SEA
4. TB
5. LAR
6. CHI
7. WAS

NFC Wild Card Games:
WAS at NO
CHI at SEA
LAR at TB

Thus, five of the wild card games would have been different. Cleveland would have been stopped from its first home playoff game in 26 years only by the fact they couldn't beat the Ravens in the regular season.