2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

Just now, lavar703 said:

What about Hassan Riddick? 

Man the second I brought him up in my offseason plan he went full all pro the next 4 games lol. He maybe played himself out of my dream scenario of getting him here. I think he put on and earned himself some money I was dreaming about having him be a hybrid outside backer here but he went off after I said that lol

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

If the salary cap is actually going down by $20M as people are speculating it will, they’re probably going to need to worry more about finding their seat in the game of WR1 contract musical chairs than about handpicking a certain roster where they can be certain to get 150 targets. 

There aren’t that many teams that need a WR, don’t already have another good/promising WR, and can afford to take on a $15M+ FA contract for one this offseason. If we get to a point where 5 or 6 of those younger guys actually hit the market, it could really become a buyer’s market. 

I think the top skill position guys will get paid.  Brandon Scherff is going to be the most hurt from this, as I don't think teams will be lining up to give him a guard with injury history a record-setting deal.  

We don't need a #1 receiver, so that might actually be a benefit for us.  Provided that Rivera actually spends money, which I am not convinced he will.  I still maintain my belief that he had more control in Carolina than we realize, and was likely a big reason why they eschewed free agency.  They did re-sign their own players, but spent over $20 million on the open market for a player twice.  

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

In their first look at the free agency class, PFF predicted that we would re-sign Scherff (4/$60M) and Darby (3/$30M), and sign Anthony Harris (4/$56M), Corey Davis (4/$65M) and Tyrod Taylor (2/$10M). 

I’m not sold on Harris because of his age, but I wouldn’t hate it if they have a plan for getting the 3 safeties ones the field. And it would be a hard pass on Tyrod for me. But if that’s how it all went, I’d be pretty darn pleased. 

They must not be aware of Rivera's history in free agency.  I would be shocked for us to give out two contracts that size, and I highly doubt that we give out one contract like that.  

That being said - Rivera and Kyle Smith did a good job with our Free Agents..... and We were awfully critical. 

Darby, Fuller, KPL, Lucas, McKissic, and Thomas were all pretty good..... Do you guys not agree in hindsight that we had a good free agency?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Troublez said:

That being said - Rivera and Kyle Smith did a good job with our Free Agents..... and We were awfully critical. 

Darby, Fuller, KPL, Lucas, McKissic, and Thomas were all pretty good..... Do you guys not agree in hindsight that we had a good free agency?

Yes, They’re were all nice contributors. 

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

Yes, but as an Orioles fan........sometimes dumpster diving works, and other times it doesn't.  For every Miguel Gonzalez we got, there are 2-3 Travis Snider's.  

We could do the same thing this off-season and sign similar players to Darby, Lucas and Thomas as change-of-scenery or development talents, and not get anything out of them.  Ideally, we start filling a lot of those depth roles in a year or two with our own draft picks.  

I think another off-season similar to what we just had is a lot more likely than splurging on two big-contract players as well.  We might sign a #2 WR to a contract similar to what Fuller signed.  

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

In their first look at the free agency class, PFF predicted that we would re-sign Scherff (4/$60M) and Darby (3/$30M), and sign Anthony Harris (4/$56M), Corey Davis (4/$65M) and Tyrod Taylor (2/$10M). 

And it would be a hard pass on Tyrod for me. 

18 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Agree on Tyrod, we don't need him.  

I agree, but (of course), I'd like to defend him. A) that isn't a bad contract and B) he'd probably be sufficient in this offense. It would suit him. But yes, it doesn't probably make sense to carry him with Allen and Heinicke (and maybe Smith) 

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Okay Turtle 

I actually agree he’s a distraction and IMO he’s going to just be a much more expensive distraction. We’re building the right types of hard working attitudes I don’t need this guy giving anyone we’re playing any ammo with his mouth dancing on their logo and everything else. I mean by the franchise tag period names on here will either have resigned or been tagged I’m sure but I just think we can do better. Terry needs a running mate but I think we’d be better suited to stay away from Juju

• Like 1