Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

Just now, ET80 said:

Anyone who'd consider trading for him? I figured that was obvious.

Guess you figured wrong, more just a question of clarification. Could easily have been to just mean the Texans staff, considering they are the only ones who hold his right and are responsible for him. 

3 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Guess you figured wrong, more just a question of clarification.

Fair - understand that now.

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Could easily have been to just mean the Texans staff, considering they are the only ones who hold his right and are responsible for him. 

That bridge is burned to a crisp. Watson doesn't want to be here, Texans FO doesn't want him here.

• Like 1

After viewing the much debated (debatable ?) thread on the potential Aaron Rodgers trade, dare I ask what your thoughts on a Watson trade to Denver or Washington (the only two viable trade options IMO) . Given it's stated the FO doesn't want him, the pending NFL suspension and the public scrutiny he's sure to bring with, what would a talent of his youth and ilk garner from either/both of these tow clubs ?

Thanks in advance, I know it's a bit to ask but feel you guys are much more in touch with reality than most Packer fans are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

After viewing the much debated (debatable ?) thread on the potential Aaron Rodgers trade, dare I ask what your thoughts on a Watson trade to Denver or Washington (the only two viable trade options IMO) .

I'd add NYG to the list - if Daniel Jones continues being Daniel Jones, they'll have the capital to make a good deal. Carolina is also a distinct possibility - Sam Darnold is a reclamation project that's just as likely to bomb out, the Panthers owner was high on Watson (even after the allegations) and the Carolina area is more inclined to let bygones be bygones due to Watson's status as a Clemson legend.

If I'm handicapping this, I'm probably taking Carolina as the top team in this discussion.

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Given it's stated the FO doesn't want him, the pending NFL suspension and the public scrutiny he's sure to bring with, what would a talent of his youth and ilk garner from either/both of these tow clubs ?

One thing that's not talked about - any sort of suspension is going to lead to the Texans revoking Watson's signing bonus, so you're talking about a top 5 QB that'll run less than $10mm against a cap - for the next five years. We've seen New England create a dynasty because Tom Brady took less than market deals - whoever trades for Watson will be able to simulate this for the next five years. It's also pretty much certain that this issue will blow over within the next five years, simply because Watson is that talented. The league has shown a willingness to ignore issues if you're good (Tyreek Hill, Michael Vick, the 90s Cowboys, etc). 

I'd have to think that the starting point is what the Rams gave up for Matt Stafford - two firsts, a few 2/3s and a starter or two. That's just to get a foot in the door, we'll see if someone such as Carolina is willing to push their chips all in on him.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'd add NYG to the list - if Daniel Jones continues being Daniel Jones, they'll have the capital to make a good deal. Carolina is also a distinct possibility - Sam Darnold is a reclamation project that's just as likely to bomb out, the Panthers owner was high on Watson (even after the allegations) and the Carolina area is more inclined to let bygones be bygones due to Watson's status as a Clemson legend.

If I'm handicapping this, I'm probably taking Carolina as the top team in this discussion.

One thing that's not talked about - any sort of suspension is going to lead to the Texans revoking Watson's signing bonus, so you're talking about a top 5 QB that'll run less than $10mm against a cap - for the next five years. We've seen New England create a dynasty because Tom Brady took less than market deals - whoever trades for Watson will be able to simulate this for the next five years. It's also pretty much certain that this issue will blow over within the next five years, simply because Watson is that talented. The league has shown a willingness to ignore issues if you're good (Tyreek Hill, Michael Vick, the 90s Cowboys, etc). 

I'd have to think that the starting point is what the Rams gave up for Matt Stafford - two firsts, a few 2/3s and a starter or two. That's just to get a foot in the door, we'll see if someone such as Carolina is willing to push their chips all in on him.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but watsons signing bonus was just 27 million. Even if we get that revoked, his cap hit is still much much much higher than 10 million a year. 

his base salary is 35, 20, 32, 32 after this year with a 17 million roster bonus in 2023. 

if you take off his signing bonus his cap hit is still north of 35 million a year  after this season. granted that’s fairly cheap by starting QB standards, it’s not cheap enough to help build out a roster. 

44 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but watsons signing bonus was just 27 million. Even if we get that revoked, his cap hit is still much much much higher than 10 million a year. 

his base salary is 35, 20, 32, 32 after this year with a 17 million roster bonus in 2023. 

if you take off his signing bonus his cap hit is still north of 35 million a year  after this season. granted that’s fairly cheap by starting QB standards, it’s not cheap enough to help build out a roster. 

I think it's guaranteed money, not signing bonus. (I may have confused the two terms). Ezekiel Elliott had his guaranteed money revoked following his suspension:

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/11/dallas-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-suspension-salary-cap-impact-implications/

FTR - Watson's guaranteed money is $110mm, and it was all set to pay out after the '21 season. 

It's not really talked about yet, but it's looking like Watson could lose roughly $45mm over the '21 and '22 season...

It's going to be an incredibly wild ride and - given where we were at prior to the allegations - the Texans should have zero appetite in cutting a deal with Watson.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think it's guaranteed money, not signing bonus. (I may have confused the two terms). Ezekiel Elliott had his guaranteed money revoked following his suspension:

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/11/dallas-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-suspension-salary-cap-impact-implications/

FTR - Watson's guaranteed money is $110mm, and it was all set to pay out after the '21 season. 

It's not really talked about yet, but it's looking like Watson could lose roughly $45mm over the '21 and '22 season...

It's going to be an incredibly wild ride and - given where we were at prior to the allegations - the Texans should have zero appetite in cutting a deal with Watson.

Losing his guarantees doesn’t eliminate that amount from his salary it just means we could cut him and not owe it to him. He’d still have the same money if we didn’t cut him.  

On 5/25/2021 at 8:55 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Losing his guarantees doesn’t eliminate that amount from his salary it just means we could cut him and not owe it to him. He’d still have the same money if we didn’t cut him.  

I believe there's cap implications to this too, but I'm not a cap expert. I'll check around, see if I can find anyone who can speak to this.

My recollection is that there is a cap scenario that plays into this, one that benefits the Texans - not sure if the case study was Michael Vick or Zeke, but I'll share more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Anyone see Patrick Storm drop some stuff last night on twitter? 

Like Joe Brady was the guy until he caught wind of the Watson situation.

And Amy Palvic(however you spell it) helped try and cover up some of the Watson stuff in the beginning.

Just read some of it - not sure how much I believe it all (the Palcic stuff really didn't make sense given the timeline of events) but it's pretty interesting on the Joe Brady stuff.

I'll take it with a grain of salt tbh.