Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

On 9/2/2021 at 12:19 PM, LORK88 said:

Counterpoint: Caserio isn't the only one that operates like this, a lot of GMs trade late round picks. 

I get that, and I agree... but what was the purpose of Ka'Dar Holloman? He was here for what, two weeks?

Just wait for him to be cut. I mean, not like Holloman is doing much right now - had GB cut him, it's pretty evident the Texans could have scooped him up.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:29 PM, lumberjackchris said:

I get that, but who's to say a coach on the staff wasn't lobbying for said players and Caserio listened and brought them in. Will never know the inner workings. 

That's a bigger problem, then - if Caserio can't say no, or can't see a wasted transaction on the suggestion of his staff, what does he do other than make the call?

These moves reek of throwing anything against the wall and seeing what sticks - this works when something sticks, but that's not the case so far.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I get that, and I agree... but what was the purpose of Ka'Dar Holloman? He was here for what, two weeks?

Just wait for him to be cut. I mean, not like Holloman is doing much right now - had GB cut him, it's pretty evident the Texans could have scooped him up.

That's a bigger problem, then - if Caserio can't say no, or can't see a wasted transaction on the suggestion of his staff, what does he do other than make the call?

These moves reek of throwing anything against the wall and seeing what sticks - this works when something sticks, but that's not the case so far.

That last part is exactly whats happening. We have little top tier talent and no depth. So whatever sticks will help build a foundation 

7 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

That last part is exactly whats happening. We have little top tier talent and no depth. So whatever sticks will help build a foundation 

...but nothing has stuck yet. Seriously, each player Caserio has traded for didn't make the 53. Ryan Lindley, Ryan Izzo, Ka'dar Hollman, Shaq Lawson... all gone.

Maybe a guy like Desmond King or Christian Kirksey sticks, maybe Terrance Mitchell is that CB who can start the process in our secondary - but for now, it's more misses than hits, and we have yet to play a meaningful game.

The trend is not a good one, IMO.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

...but nothing has stuck yet. Seriously, each player Caserio has traded for didn't make the 53. Ryan Lindley, Ryan Izzo, Ka'dar Hollman, Shaq Lawson... all gone.

Maybe a guy like Desmond King or Christian Kirksey sticks, maybe Terrance Mitchell is that CB who can start the process in our secondary - but for now, it's more misses than hits, and we have yet to play a meaningful game.

The trend is not a good one, IMO.

It's more misses than hits because we're taking cheap, low risk swings; none of those signings are going to make or break the franchise. Plus, the reward is vastly greater than the risk on those. Let's be honest, Caserio isn't going to be judged based on trading a bunch of late day 3 picks for fringe roster players. It's going to be how he handles the Watson situation and re-builds this team from the ground up. We won't even remember any of these trades in 2-3 years. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

It's more misses than hits because we're taking cheap, low risk swings; none of those signings are going to make or break the franchise. Plus, the reward is vastly greater than the risk on those. Let's be honest, Caserio isn't going to be judged based on trading a bunch of late day 3 picks for fringe roster players. It's going to be how he handles the Watson situation and re-builds this team from the ground up. We won't even remember any of these trades in 2-3 years. 

I can concede to some of this, but in this same vein, can we not pat him on the back for this current effort? I'll stop digging at every move if we see them for what they are, churn at the bottom of the barrel. He's not doing a great job or a bad job - he's just doing a job, next year is where we can see whether or not his efforts bare any fruit. (Unless he moves Watson for a significant amount, that moves the needle).

Let's not praise him, let's not berate him - his grade is an incomplete at best or worse.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

EDIT: I get this is a lost year, but what I don't get is this feeling that Caserio is doing a good job with the tank. It's not very hard to field a losing team in the NFL, some franchises do it for decades. I'm OK with calling this year for what it is, but don't try to sell me on this being an excellent piece of work to secure 1.1 (in a year where 1.1 isn't going to land you a Justin Fields, let alone a Trevor Lawrence). If you want to give Caserio an incomplete, I'm on board.

I wrote this in another thread, I think it encapsulates where I'm at for this year. Judging Caserio based on this off-season is futile for either side of the argument - both pro-Caserio and anti-Caserio.

Incomplete is a perfectly good grade for this one.

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I can concede to some of this, but in this same vein, can we not pat him on the back for this current effort? I'll stop digging at every move if we see them for what they are, churn at the bottom of the barrel. He's not doing a great job or a bad job - he's just doing a job, next year is where we can see whether or not his efforts bare any fruit. (Unless he moves Watson for a significant amount, that moves the needle).

Let's not praise him, let's not berate him - his grade is an incomplete at best or worse.

100% agree. It's all small moves that aren't going to move the needle which is why I'm not judging him on these. This season is a total wash and there isn't much he'll do that will have major material impact. His legacy as the Texans GM is going to be defined in the draft now that he has a full set of draft picks, how he handles the Watson situation, how he manages the cap now that we'll have plenty of space next season, and what the roster looks like in 2-3 years. Not to say I won't judge him this season if he does something stupid or praise him for doing something well, it's just that we all know this season is a wash and the real work begins next offseason.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Not to say I won't judge him this season if he does something stupid or praise him for doing something well, it's just that we all know this season is a wash and the real work begins next offseason

Bingo! I'm fully giving him credit for three moves off the bat: 

- Aggressively getting Nico Collins in the 3rd

- Roy Lopez in the 7th

- Getting a 3rd for Bradley Roby

It's not a complete mess here, but people saying "he's turning it around" or "he's doing good" is just as shortsighted as someone saying "he's screwing it up".

He's done good, he's done bad, but anything he's doing now isn't really measurable to his job performance in either direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

A lot of chatter currently 👀👀

I don't believe anyone anymore. Chris Simms and Jay Glazer are as connected on this issue as I am, and I'm not connected at all - they say stuff for clicks, then laugh their way to the bank while nothing happens.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 10:42 AM, ET80 said:

I don't believe anyone anymore. Chris Simms and Jay Glazer are as connected on this issue as I am, and I'm not connected at all - they say stuff for clicks, then laugh their way to the bank while nothing happens.

I trust Mark Berman... he's got folks on the inside of NRG.

17 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

what would even a return look like considering nobody knows when he is allowed to play again? This seems complicated. But Houston would probably be happy to move forward in the rebuild.

He could play right now - he hasn't been suspended, hasn't been put on the Commissioner's list. No criminal charges have been filed against him (criminal complaints, yes - not the same as actual charges). If something happens, I'm guessing somebody knows he's going to be able to play and won't be looking at any suspension/Commissioner's list.

We've been bouncing around this topic - I do not expect anything to happen, but I also think the Texans are SO desperate to get back on the good graces of fans, they're going to make a move for less than they anticipated.