Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The better the rams do this year, the higher Watsons value will be. They gave up two 1sts for a vet QB, If they were to win the super bowl, teams would probably be more likely to get a vet QB 

I actually think this hurts us. You potentially have Wilson, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Jimmy G and Watson available this off-season. The Rams and Stafford prove if you are close, you should gamble on a vet rather than draft a rookie to win now. Some teams will not want Watson because of his drama, he won't waive his NTC for just anyone, so I think his market is small and potentially crowded with options. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

I actually think this hurts us. You potentially have Wilson, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Jimmy G and Watson available this off-season. The Rams and Stafford prove if you are close, you should gamble on a vet rather than draft a rookie to win now. Some teams will not want Watson because of his drama, he won't waive his NTC for just anyone, so I think his market is small and potentially crowded with options. 

Wilson and Rodgers you could make an argument for, but Rodgers is 38 and Wilson is 33. How much longer do you expect them to realistically keep playing for? Matt Ryan has cap hits of $48 million next year (highest in the NFL) and $43 million the next year. Jimmy G isn't competition for any of these QBs and doesn't belong in the discussion. Watson is younger than any of these QBs and wouldn't be a short-term rental. If he can clear his legal hurdles, he's more valuable than any of them. 

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

Watson is by far the best option on the market if his legal troubles are taken care of. 

The Buffalo/KC game just raised Watson's value. There aren't many people on the planet in the same conversation as Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes... Deshaun Watson is one those in the conversation.

I don't think he's as good, and I think - even if you could remove the legal situation - you're taking Allen and Mahomes over Watson. That doesn't mean that Watson isn't in the conversation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The Buffalo/KC game just raised Watson's value. There aren't many people on the planet in the same conversation as Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes... Deshaun Watson is one those in the conversation.

I don't think he's as good, and I think - even if you could remove the legal situation - you're taking Allen and Mahomes over Watson. That doesn't mean that Watson isn't in the conversation.

Watson hasn’t played in a year but before he sat out I would have taken him over Allen easily. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Watson hasn’t played in a year but before he sat out I would have taken him over Allen easily. 

I don't disagree... but narratives change weekly, let alone yearly. Josh Allen is ahead of every QB not named Mahomes right now. If there was a hypothetical redraft of the entire league, Allen goes 2 pretty much across the board.

2 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Was coming to post this.... First, Mr. Mara - nobody asked you! Wait... they did ask him?  Nevermind... lol

Hmm... call it a hunch, but I think he's posturing. Everyone knows NYG has two very high FRPs, and I don't think he wants to give up BOTH in a trade.

One of those FRPs, maybe a 3rd this year, a 1st and 2nd next year, a mid level player or two (Evan Engram, Jabril Peppers) for Watson - not exactly what Nick Caserio was expecting, but a package that lands a franchise QB and gives the Texans some assets.

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hmm... call it a hunch, but I think he's posturing. Everyone knows NYG has two very high FRPs, and I don't think he wants to give up BOTH in a trade.

One of those FRPs, maybe a 3rd this year, a 1st and 2nd next year, a mid level player or two (Evan Engram, Jabril Peppers) for Watson - not exactly what Nick Caserio was expecting, but a package that lands a franchise QB and gives the Texans some assets.

I’m not sure they can afford to trade for Watson without giving up better players. 

As weird as it sounds, I'm glad Caserio is holding firm on what he's asking for Watson. Carson Wentz got the Eagles a 1st. Darnold got the Jets a 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Stafford got at least two 1sts. With how uncertain drafting QBs is, we know we have a young, proven top 10 commodity in Deshaun Watson on the field, which never becomes available on the open market. Settling for anything less than three 1sts and other assets just wouldn't cut it and I'm glad he's holding firm. I guarantee if Watson clears up his legal hurdles, we'll have a few teams wanting to trade for him. 

4 hours ago, LORK88 said:

As weird as it sounds, I'm glad Caserio is holding firm on what he's asking for Watson. Carson Wentz got the Eagles a 1st. Darnold got the Jets a 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Stafford got at least two 1sts. With how uncertain drafting QBs is, we know we have a young, proven top 10 commodity in Deshaun Watson on the field, which never becomes available on the open market. Settling for anything less than three 1sts and other assets just wouldn't cut it and I'm glad he's holding firm. I guarantee if Watson clears up his legal hurdles, we'll have a few teams wanting to trade for him. 

The catch here is that Watson isn't on his rookie deal anymore and is going to require a hefty amount of salary cap, and Watson has already flexed his NTC to not get sent to other teams.

In addition, the legal situation might get resolved - but the court of public opinion operates under a different set of rules, one that might not be as forgiving.

The Texans are motivated sellers as well, given Watson simply isn't going to play for the team. They can posture as much as possible, but $35mm against the cap with no chance of production means the Texans are working on a clock - if a buyer waits, they'll get their price.

The Texans do NOT want to pay Watson $35mm to sit this season. Everyone knows this, too - so it's all about waiting it out.

What are the cap numbers for a Watson trade? Best I can find is that we would be on the hook with the 16 million remaining of his signing bonus and that’s it. If that’s the case we gain about 24 million in cap space this year from trading him and are wide open for years to come. Mills is locked up for the next 3 years on a cheap deal. 

so in theory we have a franchise QB on a cheap deal or we will draft a rookie QB in 2023 and have 4 cheap years of him at QB. Either way we will have loads of cap room the next several years.