Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Berry is one of the best young GMs in the league. 

I can't believe you didn't get a player from us. I thought you'd at least get Greddy Williams. Berry is a hell of a negotiator. Good luck with those first rounders. If Mills is really your guy then you really add some talent with that capital. 

no players or second rounders though... Sheesh man Berry is damn good 

Yeah.... sad..... Greedy is extra for y'all and could start for us

• Like 2

Best I can tell, we eat 16 million over Watson this season. And we have zero dead money on the books for next year. Meaning that our cap issues are basically solved. We have plenty of room to put out a bad roster while still not being the worst team in the league and be completely set up for whatever we want to do next year. 

I could see us actually competing a little this season. Maybe 8-9 or 9-8. Especially if we can stay healthy.

we should have a decent line, mills should be comfortable in the offense. We need to draft a WR and a RB in the first 2 days. 

im a little nervous about Pep being able to totally run the show on offense since our HC is a d only kind of guy but if the whole thing tanks, we can look at QB options next year. 

• Like 1

I'm not disappointed in the return, although I wish we could've gotten more. Still, we set the bar at 3 firsts and additional assets which is what we got. We didn't freak out and take a low deal or let Watson screw this up. All in all, this was handled well. 6 first round picks in the next 3 drafts is a far cry from BOB's last days as GM. I believe he was more interested in picks so he can build the roster how he wants and not have to pay anything crazy. Now Nick has deliver on those picks. They're great in theory, but you can't waste them. I honestly want us to trade back as much as possible and just stockpile from here on out. Would love if we could trade 3 or 13 to drop to the second half of the draft and pick up an additional first next year. We also have around $25-$30 million in cap space now and over $100 million next season. Don't want to blow through all that, but it's all looking up from here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LORK88 said:

I'm not disappointed in the return, although I wish we could've gotten more. 

After sleeping on it - I'm not upset anymore. I wish it was more, but Caserio was playing with a bad hand and still walked away with a nice stack.

I’ve been critical of Caserio, but after listening to him talk and hearing his takes on this whole story arc - I’m not going to lie, I like Nick Caserio. He’s smart, he’s pragmatic, he understands football from the “stat nerd” perspective as well as the “varsity jock” perspective. He embraces analytics, but also understands that football players have to play football. That gets lost on both the stat nerds as well as the varsity jocks.

While I don’t like some of the moves he’s conducted, I’m starting to see a bit of his way of thinking and his strategic goals in building this roster: He’s going to take bites at the apple as many times as possible with lower valued assets, trying to find a lottery ticket. With his higher valued assets, he holds on a value and won’t budge until someone gives him what he wants, or pulls the trigger on a player that doesn’t make sense at first but represents undervalued potential (Davis Mills, Nico Collins, Brevin Jordan, etc).

I’m expecting a first round that will be pretty much BPA at any point where the team drafts - regardless of position, he’s taking the best guy among his position group (think Hamilton, Linderbaum, Jordan Davis, Devin Lloyd - one of these four will be a Texan, I'm pretty sure of that). As the draft progresses, Caserio will look at traits, see who stands out physically and can be molded (ESPECIALLY in the secondary - Lovie has a knack for turning DBs into stars). Does Caserio try to get too cute and/or too smart? Yes, but I actually see some of his thought process in doing so.

I’m higher on Caserio now than I was a few weeks ago, but questionable picks and/or decisions at 1.3 and 1.13 could change that…

• Like 2

Yeah I also felt good about it when I woke up this morning. Felt like that scene in Master and Commander when the ship was being dragged down into the ocean by a piece of mast that had fallen in. Felt like we finally cut off the piece that was dragging us down and keeping us from moving forward. 

• Like 1

Browns fan here.

Very shocking and interesting set of events.  I am happy, shocked, disgusted, optimistic, pessimistic, and anything and everything in between.

Obviously the talent of Watson is worth more than what we gave, however, it's pretty obvious you guys got what should be considered a pretty good return for the total package that is Deshaun Watson right now, especially considering the no trade clause and Watson basically holding you guys hostage.  

Three 1sts is certainly better than paying Watson again to be benched.  

Now just gotta see what sort of suspension, if any.  Guessing you guys are rotting for a 2 year suspension, lol.

I can also see why people are sick to their stomach seeing how his base salary is only 1 million this year to avoid suspension penalties,  but I think we would have tried to structure it that way anyway, to lower the cap hit considering we are doing it with other players right now also.

• Like 2

I like that no players were included in this. I think that’s a good move on Berrys part that no players will have to be tied into this trades for their careers. 

picks are different, but having your name included in this type of trade isn’t a good look. 

• Like 1

Last few things on the subject I heard: 

• We didn't want players, we wanted picks. Nick would rather pick his own guys.
  • Both the Saints and Falcons thought they had Watson at least once each. 
  • It started off being about winning now, best roster, etc and ended up being about money for Watson.
  • Both ATL and NO offers were similar to what we ended up with from Cleveland.
  • Both ATL and NO said Caserio was professional throughout the process. 
  • Like 4