Vegas "Way Too Early" Mock Draft.....

vegas492

Just kind of going off of these assumptions.

Aaron Jones, Corey Lindsley leave in free agency.  I think we keep King.

We release Kirksey and Preston Smith.   Very much could re-negotiate Preston.

Not going to speculate on free agents.  If there are any brought in, they will be inexpensive free agent. 

Onto the draft.  Did one using the draftnetwork draft simulator.

1-31.  Blame the machine for not putting us at 32!  Jaelan Phillips, EDGE, Miami.  6'5'' 258.  Wanted a long one in case we replace Preston.  Couple quick cut and pastes concerning him.  "A balanced defender, Phillips is a playmaker against the run and pass, where his exciting blend of size, length, power, technique, and athleticism make him a challenge for offenses to neutralize. Phillips is a versatile player that has experience playing with his hand in the dirt on the edge, rushing from interior alignments, and playing in space in a standup role—which makes him a fit for all teams in the NFL."

2-63.  Nico Collins, WR, Michigan.  6'4'' 222.  Wanted a bigger profile guy, because we seem to like that.  Cut and pastes concerning him.  "On the field, Collins is a big-play threat vertically down the field that pairs very good vertical speed with excellent ball skills.   Collins has overwhelming size and the second gear needed to consistently stack defensive backs; projecting him into a vertical passing offense would make the most sense in trying to find an ideal role. 

3-94.  Alim McNeill, DL, NC State.  6'2'' 315.  Seemed like the right spot to take DL.  Cut and pastes concerning him.  " Good athlete with good explosiveness. Features above average lateral quickness and his pursuit effort is outstanding"

4-132.  Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio State.  6'0'' 216.  Gonna need another RB.  Cut and pastes concerning him. "Sermon is expected to be a mid-round prospect thanks to some inefficiencies and a lack of production on third downs; but on a team that runs inside and split zone with success, Sermon can be super productive (just as he was in such concepts for the Buckeyes down the stretch). Sermon has the physicality, contact balance, ball security, and toughness to be an early-down back and shoulder the majority of the load for an NFL team—he’ll be an economic option for zone-based teams looking to boost their ground game and add some toughness into the mix.   

4-137.  Kolby Harvell-Peel, S, Oklahoma State.  We have tried a lot of UDFA's as the third safety and we tend to use them in the box.  Well, here is a box type safety.  Cut and pastes concerning him. "Harvel-Peel has a rocked up and filled out body that’s cut up throughout. He is an aggressive tackler that takes pride in putting his face on the opposition in single situations. As a tackler, he’s excellent with rolling his hips and running through ball carriers. "  

5-171.  Brendan Jaimes, T.  Nebraska.  6'5'' 300.  Played LT.  May be a better guard.  Cut and pastes concerning him.  "Brenden aligns at Left Tackle for the Huskers' offense. He has spent significant time at Right Tackle as well, which can offer some appeal with positional flexibility. Overall, this player has redeeming value in his ability to play multiple positions up front. However, he is ideally suited to play Guard."   

5-175.  Jaelon Dardon.  WR/KR/Gadget.  5'9'' 170.  Takes off for Ervin and Austin.  He's the gadget guy and returner.  Cut and pastes concerning him.  "Darden has elite levels of twitch in that he can accelerate from 0-100 in the blink of an eye, but also decelerate back to zero at the snap of a finger  Breaking tackles and making defenders look silly is routine and a huge asset to his value. The ultimate weapon in all spots, he’s not the average manufactured touch, small slot receiver. He earns his yardage with detailed route runner at all three levels of the field. Darden also brings value in the return game as he has experience as both a kick and punt returner."    

6-208.  Josh Stills, IOL, Oklahoma State.  6'6'' 320.  Draft simulator said we needed another IOL.  So here we are.  Sounds like he can also play tackle. On the plus side, he looks a little like Tauscher.  Cut and pastes concerning him. "Sills is a guard prospect that’s built like an offensive tackle. He has a linear frame with thin ankles, which help him play in the teams fast paced offense. Sills has long arms that enable him to extend and lock out defenders at the point of attack. No matter the intensity levels of the opposition, his length helps him cancel out impending moves quickly after the initiation of them. A frequent finisher, he plays reps all the way through the whistle that often end with finishing matchups on the ground in some capacity. "  

6-214.  Chris Wilcox, CB, BYU.  6'2'' 197.  Have no clue, there was no write up on him, but I wanted a corner and this is the first time it made sense in this mock.

7-251.  Joshua Ross, ILB, Michigan.  6'2'' 232.  Really wanted another ILB a little higher, but it didn't work out.  No write up on him.

Here were my "wants".

Wanted this...as we all do.  

But really, wanted a WR to groom.  Check.  Edge wasn't a need, but if we move on from Preston, yah.

Wanted a gadget guy who is younger than Ervin.  And who can return.  Check.

Needed another RB to groom.  Seems like a nice pairing with Dillon.

Really wanted a better safety/LB hybrid.  Think that happened.

Most disappointed in the DL.  Feels like another Adams.  Probably could fill that in FA.

Really wanted Lowry gone.  Didn't think the draft was good enough to do that.

Disappointed I didn't find a corner earlier.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Just kind of going off of these assumptions.

Aaron Jones, Corey Lindsley leave in free agency.  I think we keep King.

We release Kirksey and Preston Smith.   Very much could re-negotiate Preston.

Not going to speculate on free agents.  If there are any brought in, they will be inexpensive free agent. 

Most disappointed in the DL.  Feels like another Adams.  Probably could fill that in FA.

Really wanted Lowry gone.  Didn't think the draft was good enough to do that.

Disappointed I didn't find a corner earlier.

I think I would rather keep Preston than cut him for King.  Then we can use the first on a corner instead of an edge.  I think between Garvin, Ramsey, Delonte Scott and Galeai, we will have our limited use 4th guy.  Of course, we could cut Preston, and sink or swim with Gary taking an even greater role and not invest high in an edge.

At WR, I still really like that Adams guy from Arkansas State that was in another mock draft.  

Are we at a need for DL, or would we just want to get better? Clark is good.  Keke seems to be getting better.  Lowry is average.  Lancaster is an RFA (cheap).  And perhaps we can convince Snacks to come back? I am more comfortable with the line now than I was at the beginning of the season.  

• Like 1

Wish there was a corner close to my pick when I was on the clock, but there wasn't.  Especially when drafting higher.  

Regarding the OL...I drafted two guys who were tackles in college.  Both left tackles, I think.  Though one projected better at guard.

I liked EDGE early.  Premium position.  And while I like Preston, he didn't play well this season and we may need the money. 

And if we don't so much the better.  The EDGE I took, I took because he is versatile.  Can play standing up, or hand in dirt.  Has movement skills to cover.  Sounds like a great pick if you look at the future and moving on from Preston at some point and time.

Would rather have gone corner there, but there were none left. 

Edited by vegas492

2 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

So our starting OL is (hopefully):

Veldheer Patrick Jenkins Turner Wagner

More likely:

Turner Patrick Jenkins Runyan Wagner

Then in 2022:

Bakhtiari ??? Jenkins Runyan ???

... Yeah. Grab an OL. 

How is Bakhtiari not our LT in 2021?  

On this thing, with the drafting of two OT (one that can guard), we got versatile.  Add that to our stable of OL from the last draft and I think we have the bodies to move forward, with or without Wagner.  On Wagner's current deal, though, I'm keeping him.  Very valuable.

I'm assuming Chris Wilcox is a CB? you have him as a Center.

I seriously doubt we draft multiple IOL on Day 3. We just did so last year, why do it again when we can be adding depth elsewhere at worst? We need a legit RT which Jaimes could possibly be, but you're once again talking about a Day 3 prospect that's most likely kicked inside to Guard. I could see Darrisaw or Slater slipping down the boards to the point where we may trade up for one of them. Darrisaw has a high ranking, but nobody seems to be talking about him other than the usual "oh he's a strong prospect." I think the OL situation becomes a lot clearer once we know what's happening with Wagner or Linsley. 

I have to disagree on going EDGE right off the bat as well; we're probably not cutting Preston Smith two years into a 4 year deal and if our defense lays an egg Saturday, Pettine is most likely finished. Obviously major schematic changes would affect this draft if that's the case. Additionally, the fact that Phillips has concussion issues significantly pushes him down my board not to mention that he's a one-year wonder; if he's there in the 3rd and we've addressed IDL, why not? 

On the other hand, if Pettine stays, we will need replacements for Lancaster and MAdams; the class is actually pretty deep rounds 2-4 so maybe we actually trade back if we're picking 31 or 32 - hell I'd personally try to get two picks between 35-60 using 31/32 and giving up a 5th round comp. With that in tow, if Pettine likes IDL that shoot gaps and rush the passer more than those who can create piles, collapse the pocket, and plug up the run game, then Onwuzurike is your guy in the 3rd though that's not to say McNeill is a poor choice; Onwuzurike's the better fit for what we need IMO. He's got KeKe's frame and is 10x more explosive, not to mention that he's stout against the run due to his elite pad level. 

Also, everyone should bear in mind that this is a pretty deep CB class, like IDL, from rounds 2-4. We can afford to let King walk.

Love the Collins and Sermon picks. If we lose Jones, Sermon would be an excellent replacement. Collins' frame and game just SCREAMS Packer WR. I also liked the fact that you took a Safety early Day 3 here as well, especially one that's not afraid to tackle. I suspect he'd be solid depth and could potentially play the Raven Greene role and may be an upgrade over Greene as well; with Vernon Scott quietly improving from week-to-week that addition could eliminate any need at the position.

• Like 2

You hit a lot of it, Joe.

Yes, Wilcox is a CB.  Not a new "breed" of center.  LOL.

Wanted a WR relatively early.  Wanted a corner, but there weren't any there.  Didn't want EDGE, but it is a premium and that's where the bodies were when I drafted.  Would much rather have gone corner or OT.

Drafted two guys who played LT and RT in college with the hope that one pans out as a developmental prospect.  As the roster stands, Turner, Wagner and Bakh have the tackles taken care of, and I do feel like Nijman has a chance to show he's a player.

Needed to add another back, loved what I read about Sermon.

Collins also screamed out Packer WR to me.  Big thick, and can run vertically.  Not a need for next year, but more for the year after.

Really saw value in a hybrid S/LB with that comp pick.  We've been playing Amos there a lot lately, and a little Savage, so maybe that isn't necessary and more of a "coverage" safety could be had instead.  But I liked that kid.

Biggest regret about this draft was not getting a corner earlier.

Second biggest regret was not getting a DL earlier to kick Lowry off of the roster.  Really didn't like the guy I took in the third, but he looked to be the last in the bunch.

Couple things came to me after I mocked...

1) Uncertainty of the cap really limits what you can project as far as an off-season goes.

2) We have a really good and really deep roster.  When you think about upgrading positions, it isn't easy to do given our current talent and where we are drafting.

3) Corner is #1 on my list, IDL is up there, as is backup RB.  RB is easy to get later.  IDL?  Not so much.  

4) Kind of hoping for a trade down, but I'm going to say that most every year.

What are some of the mock draft sites you people like to mess around with?

I had two bookmarked on a laptop that fried. Can’t remember their names. One of them had teams always coming to me with outrageous trade down deals that were too good to turn down. Then it dinged my score for drafting players a half round early. The other one didn’t allow trades without premium. Allowed a bunch of different ranking profiles to choose from tho. I look at mock drafting as a way of learning players while being entertained.

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

How is Bakhtiari not our LT in 2021?  

On this thing, with the drafting of two OT (one that can guard), we got versatile.  Add that to our stable of OL from the last draft and I think we have the bodies to move forward, with or without Wagner.  On Wagner's current deal, though, I'm keeping him.  Very valuable.

Due to the timing of his injury, Bak probably will miss at least half the season.

16 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

What are some of the mock draft sites you people like to mess around with?

I had two bookmarked on a laptop that fried. Can’t remember their names. One of them had teams always coming to me with outrageous trade down deals that were too good to turn down. Then it dinged my score for drafting players a half round early. The other one didn’t allow trades without premium. Allowed a bunch of different ranking profiles to choose from tho. I look at mock drafting as a way of learning players while being entertained.

I think that firstpick.com was the one with all the silly trades and grades your draft.

The one that didn't allow trades with "premium" is thedraftnetwork.com  That was the site I used.