Madden 18

bucsfan333

20 hours ago, S-jax39 said:

Where am I crying? It doesnt bother me at all, I just find it hilarious.

I actually agree that madden doesnt change and that it is bad. I only find enjoyment in 32 team leagues.

If its so hilarious, it shouldnt bother you as much as it clearly does.  I recall you (and a few other Madden fanboys) attacking me several times on the old forum for voicing my disdain with EA/Madden over the years. 

This is a discussion forum....and this is a thread about Madden.....Im allowed to discuss my opinion, good or bad.  The reason I say the same things every year is because the same things are wrong every year.....and because this is the one and only option NFL and gamer fans have to enjoy their favorite sport.    If EA would dramatically improve the game or give up the exclusive license, I would ease up....but until then, Im going to voice my discontent every year they release a new version of the game for $60 that has minimal upgrades....because they continue to blatantly exploit the popularity of the NFL and deprive fans of a truly great football experience.....in favor of catering to casual fans and milking them of as much money as possible through MUT.   

And I think Ive proven I want this game to get better.  As much as I badmouth EA for their shady practices, Ive discussed the game in depth and try to give it credit for areas it has improved....but I still feel like the game is AT LEAST 5 years behind where it should be, and when they are charging $60 every year, the short development cycle is not an excuse.   

1 minute ago, RedRider said:

I'd legit go back to Madden 03, 04, or 06 if they were available on PS4. Those were the days.

I tried this.  I bought an original Xbox just to try this.  Modern graphics made these games unplayable.  As much as I wanted to ignore it, I couldn't. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I tried this.  I bought an original Xbox just to try this.  Modern graphics made these games unplayable.  As much as I wanted to ignore it, I couldn't. 

I imagine the depth of in-game control (or lack thereof) in the earlier versions would be the biggest deal breaker, if not the graphics. But the franchise mode was straight up better back then, which is what I play most in madden. 

Just now, RedRider said:

I imagine the depth of in-game control (or lack thereof) in the earlier versions would be the biggest deal breaker, if not the graphics. But the franchise mode was straight up better back then, which is what I play most in madden. 

Franchise mode was unbeatable.  The year Vick was on the cover was, I think, the best Madden ever for franchise mode. 

15 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I can get over graphics, but the gameplay just feels stiff and outdated.   Sadly, the gameplay of recent Madden games doesnt feel notably better than even games from 10 years ago.

10 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Franchise mode was unbeatable.  The year Vick was on the cover was, I think, the best Madden ever for franchise mode. 

From that time....yes, it was amazing.    I still prefer Madden 12's franchise.    If they had kept building on 12's franchise mode, I think it could be awesome right now.   Unfortunately, the decided to go the RPG route, which doesnt work well for a football game IMO.    Might be nice for a Superstar mode....but not franchise mode.   

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

From that time....yes, it was amazing.    I still prefer Madden 12's franchise.    If they had kept building on 12's franchise mode, I think it could be awesome right now.   Unfortunately, the decided to go the RPG route, which doesnt work well for a football game IMO.    Might be nice for a Superstar mode....but not franchise mode.   

Ah, 2012.  That was a good year. 

A lot of people reference Madden 03 and Madden 04 as the 'golden years' for the game, but in all honesty, those games were absolutely terrible.  Madden 04 is one of the worst Madden games ever made.  A lot of time, especially for people who are a bit older, they get that kick of nostalgia and they remember how much fun they had with a game when they were a kid or a teenager and how the game may have been good for its time.  I played a lot of Madden 04 and that game was absolutely terrible.

Vick was unstoppable in 04. The gameplay was a bit broken back them. You could run the same flood play all game; if it was man coverage, scramble to the opposite side of the WRs. If it was zone, the slot WR running the post was wide open. It was so dumb.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

A lot of people reference Madden 03 and Madden 04 as the 'golden years' for the game, but in all honesty, those games were absolutely terrible.  Madden 04 is one of the worst Madden games ever made.  A lot of time, especially for people who are a bit older, they get that kick of nostalgia and they remember how much fun they had with a game when they were a kid or a teenager and how the game may have been good for its time.  I played a lot of Madden 04 and that game was absolutely terrible.

Its considered the glory years because it had many great advances between 03-05 in almost every area..    You are in the vast minority in thinking 04 was terrible FOR ITS TIME..    NOW, IMO, Madden's gameplay has never been truly great and NFL 2K5's gameplay was notably superior to most Maddens of that time frame (although 2K gets somewhat overrated as well).

I wouldnt go back and play those games over current games, but for its time, Madden 04 was easily a better game than current day Madden is today.   

I completely disagree.  Madden 04 was good for it's time because the expectations and standards were so low.  And just to be completely clear, I am only talking about game play.  I noticed in some of the previous post you gentlemen were talking about franchise mode and other things.  For instance, speaking on the game play, as bucsfan333 just mentioned, Michael Vick was unstoppable.  Back then there really was not a reliable way to stop a scrambling quarterback like Michael Vick because of lacking defensive assignments, hot routes, audibles, and coverages.

Yeah, the reason Madden 03-06 or whenever was good was because it actually felt like you were controlling an NFL team and not just playing football or whatever, I don't know how to explain it.

Players could get suspended I think (that's probably not true), but I know for a fact that some players would hold out or do things in the offseason that took away from their time with the team.  Players actually felt like they had personality/character.

That's what I miss most about franchise mode.  In those days:

*Concession prices and seat prices mattered.  You had to control all aspects.  Now, you don't even have to go in there.
*Coaches mattered.  Coordinators mattered.  Now you don't even have coordinators. 
*Players had personality, or at least the risk of personality.
*Drafting was better.
*Stats at the end of the season were REALISTIC.  Seriously, how hard is this one factor?

The gameplay was absolutely terrible, but everything else about it was great.

And of course there was the way better Superstar mode in 06. You played through the whole aspect of a player's everyday life, not just playing football - and not with a mini-movie like Longshot. That, combined with importing players from NCAA and NFL Street made it way more worth it. It's a shame that in the last decade they removed more features than they added. Seriously, them not improving parts of the game is one thing, but to actually REMOVE some of the best parts of the game is really stupid.

Archived